Profile for Pallus the Phallus > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Android Programming: Pushing the Limits
Android Programming: Pushing the Limits
by Erik Hellman

4.0 out of 5 stars Advanced. For advanced Android application developers only!, 6 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'Pushing The Limits' indeed; this book is for ALREADY experienced Android app developers who want to PUSH themselves.
One should already have mastered the Activity, Service, Broadcast Receiver and Content Provider classes, it says.

But I haven't.

-I was really after an 'Introduction to' type book and have clearly bitten-off more than I can chew here.
As such, I'm not fully qualified to review this book but I can see that it is seriously in-depth and thorough.

Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature will display the chapters list and index which show just how thorough this book is. -It teaches not only how to exploit Android's official features but also how to call Hidden APIs and Hack Android.

The writing style is explicit and informative. That is, instructions are given clearly and without humour or waffle.
Some screenshots are a bit hard to read as the text is small and grey-on-black but the code in the text is clearly written in standard sized text.

Erik offers a list of sites and books at the end of each chapter to help those who don't particularly specialise in that area. This is a nice touch to help those who need to swot up before tackling the subject matter.

This book looks like an extensive and thorough guide which is clearly written and I'd be tempted to award 5 stars. But as most of it is Greek to me I can't really say if there are any omissions or faults so am being prudent and awarding 4.

[My Ref: Android programming book seriously 'Pushing The Limits' April 14]

Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover
Offered by STOCKEXPRESS

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work in the wet! Impossible packaging. Not for rechargeable batteries., 6 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As these things go, this is better than most...

-It is nicely shaped with curved lines and no fiddly edges (rather phallic if I say so myself).
-Feels solid in the hand and houses FOUR (supplied) batteries for superior power.
-Has a robust sanding wheel which is properly abrasive (almost industrial!) and removable for cleaning.

BUT
-It is impossible to remove it from the most ridiculous plastic packaging.
-IT CANNOT BE USED IN THE BATH as is not waterproof. Huh?
-Manufacturer advises NOT to use rechargeable batteries but doesn't say why.

It's too much hassle waiting for your feet to be dry so you can RETURN to the bathroom to use this instead of simply using a waterproof device which can be used at the same time as bathing/showering.

Mrs P has a plastic file thing -a flat stick of plastic with a handle shape at one end and an abrasive coating on each side of the other bat-shaped end. This is easy to store and can be used IN the bath manually, unlike this Scholl electric device.

Sure, the Scholl sander works. But it will remain in the drawer most of the time as it isn't a convenient enough alternative.

[My Ref: Foot sander with willy-shaped handle. Powerful, not waterproof. April 14]

Altura Classic Crochet Padded Cycling Mitts
Altura Classic Crochet Padded Cycling Mitts
Offered by Leisure Lakes Bikes

5.0 out of 5 stars Look good. Comfortable & functional. Washable., 6 April 2014
I've had these for several years and they're fraying a bit but are still intact.

Will probably buy another pair. You can use the stringy bit to wipe the sweat off your brow.

Good for driving as well as cycling.

The World's Best Spicy Food: Where to Find it & How to Make it (Lonely Planet Food & Drink)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book equally viable for coffee-table reading or actual cooking. Hot Hot!, 31 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have no hesitation in awarding this book 5 stars.

Imo, similarly to TV cooking shows, these types of books can have 2 functions: purely as entertainment (in the form of a 'coffee-table' book) and/or as a functioning cookery guide with ingredients & method.

This title does BOTH admirably well PLUS it throws in a bit of a travel-guide element by recommending where one can actually source genuine versions of the dishes to slurp up in far-flung destinations.

You may be able to see from Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature that each dish is laid-out very pleasingly on 2 facing pages.
-Background info and descriptions are shown in box-outs over a nice textured background image on the left, with a plainer page on the right offering an ingredients list and method for those who want a bash at knocking it up themselves. There's a relevant photo' displayed on each page.

Mine came with a free ebook downnload of 'The World's Best Street Food' which was a bonus.

I'd value the book at £13 to £15. It's marked as £15- but if it's going for cheaper I'd suggest you snap it up.

[My Ref: Wikid SPICY dishes from around the world book. DROOL! April '14]

Philips Tornado Compact Fluorescent Spiral 20 W B22 Bayonet Cap Warm White Light Bulb (95 W Equivalent, 10,000 Hours)

5.0 out of 5 stars On in an instant., 29 Mar 2014
I wouldn't bother with any flourescents under 20 Watts; they'll only ruin your eyesight.

This is a nice compact bulb with good brightness and it really does come on in an instant -just like an incandescent.

Very good, no drawbacks.

Asus Fonepad 7 ME372CG-1B039A WI-FI + 3G 8GB Intel ® 8 GB 1024 MB Android 7 -inch LCD
Offered by Teclasoft Informatica

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made. If you're happy with Android then this should please you., 25 Mar 2014
This is my first Android 'phone and I'm having a job adjusting but of course that's not a fault of the 'phone.

+Good points are:
Feels very nicely made, sleek and solid feel.
Micro Sim and Micro SD card slots easily accessible on sides of 'phone.
Wifi reception good.
Battery life better than I was expecting.
Good stereo sound quality.
Movie playback looks very good to me; quite sharp.
Dozens of applications already installed. More useful-looking than bloat/advertising.
Works well as a telephone.
Camera seems OK & easy to use.

-However...
Sound (ringing and playback) not loud enough.
Can't use whilst charging (it goes bonkers for some reason).
Broad border around screen adds to size.

I use this with a Vectone (£1-/month) SIM card and, after getting it cropped (requires micro-SIM), it worked right away for calls and also for Data once I'd typed in some network setting from Vectone.

I don't find the size awkward at all to use as a telephone. In fact, I would say the 'phone body shields out some background noise and makes talking a slighty more private experience. I don't quite understand those who say they would feel silly.

This fits into my inside pockets naked but not in a leather-style case. I hope skin-type cases become available for this model soon.

Mine came with a white back when I was expecting black but that was my fault for not specifying (and doesn't show when cased anyway).

Overall, an excellent buy.

[My Ref: Fone not as big as cricket bat but not far off. March '14]

Peppersmith tingz 100% xylitol sweets - Orange and Mandarin 15 g (Pack of 18, Total 450 Sweets)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great packaging and info'. Actual sweets a bit of an anticlimax., 2 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love the brightly coloured packaging. And I like the informative website.
I like the actual endoorsements of British Dental Health Foundation and The Vegetarian society.
My only reservation here is the naming of the cartoon devices as Bowie and Floyd. Bizarre.

The sweets themselves remind me of orange vitamin pills I remember called Haliborange. They have a very nice mandarin flavour but take the roof off your mouth if you have more than two.

They are the shape of pills which I don't think is very responsible considering how we should be educating kids about the difference between sweets and medicine. They could be triangular, star shaped etc.

Being nearly all Xylotol, they have the familiar texture and feel a bit cool on the tongue. They are gone in a second if you crunch them which makes me wonder if they wouldn't be better if they were made harder for sucking or chewy for chewing.

Nice taste but all in all only 3.5 stars rounded down, I'm afraid; it just strikes me that adults would much prefer RICOLA ELDERFLOWER LOZENGES 45G or suchlike and kids would simply crunch these tingz up in a second, unappeased.

[My Ref: Sugar Free sweets. March 14]

Logitech Z200 Speaker - Midnight Black
Logitech Z200 Speaker - Midnight Black

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars. Not SO bad but bass does ring and there are many alternatives., 24 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've revised my review after a couple of days' listening.

These provide a good stereo effect and, especially with vocals, the speakers can 'disappear' so the sound seems to come from all around and not identifiably from the 2 sound sources.

Connections are all nice and accessible and the on-off/volume switch is fine; volume increases smoothly (linearly, not exponentially). The speakers are hard-wired though, which restricts positioning.

The high frequencies are acceptable and your cymbals/horn sections ting and er.. 'trump' pleasingly (although they seems to peak at Polystyrene-squeaking frequency, whatever that is).

My main complaint is with the ringing bass: there is a strong peak around 150Hz which makes me cringe when a note hits it. Bass drums can sound like a knock instead of a thump. This is a shame as testing shows that they are capable of going a lot lower; the passive radiators (bottom 'drivers') work as they should and travel more than the powered (top) driver at lower frequencies.

With a parametric equaliser this peak could be smoothed-out which would increase listening pleasure. Given the opportunity, I'd also try to boost the frequencies towards 15kHz.

But one shouldn't have to play with the source signal and even though these are relatively inexpensive, there is a LOT of choice in this price range for 2.0 sets, for example:

JBL Jembe 2.0 Computer Speaker System - Black
Genius SP-HF 500 A Wired Active
Trust 19021 Tytan 2.0 Wired Active
Philips SPA1260 Wired Active

I also use Logitech's Logitech X-140 Multimedia Speakers (2.0) which sound more involving right out of the box, have a protective grille and thicker, more rubbery wires. Although other X-140 users reported whining and noise, mine work fine and I would not consider these Z200s an upgrade.

The Z200s ARE still growing on me though, and, listening to Rush 'Here Again' at close to top pelt they sound pret-ty good!

PS. Although new, mine arrived with fingerprints all around the volume knob -from the assembly worker, perhaps?
[My ref: Slightly lacking Logitech monoliths. EQ would add potential. Feb 2014]

Alpen Fruit & Nuts Trail Bar 48g x 3 (Pack of 11, 33 bars in total)
Alpen Fruit & Nuts Trail Bar 48g x 3 (Pack of 11, 33 bars in total)

3.0 out of 5 stars Over 1/3rd sugar (35%). Sweet and fruity. Too sweet for me., 24 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The texture of these bars is more fruity than nutty. That is, I got more of a sweet, sticky/chewy raisin-like experience rather than a crunchy, nutty one.

Interestingly, after chewing these down, there is a kind of gritty, seedy texture. A bit like the seeds in fresh figs.

But these are way, way too sweet for my tastes. The fruit is sweet enough on its own, why added sugar, glucose syrup and glycerin is needed to add further sweetness is beyond me. I wish SOMEONE would make a cereal bar low in BOTH fat AND sugar!

Having said that, my colleague tried a bar and said "Yes.. OK, not too sweet." -so obviously this is down to individual preference; if you don't find standard Alpen meusli too sweet then you may like these bars.

Instead of the 33 bars described, I only received ONE pack of three bars which is probably a blessing, considering.

Having a browse, I was surprised to learn that Weetabix (made by the same people) is the most popular cereal in the UK. AND it is officially a LOW SUGAR cereal (under 5%). Shouldn't that send a message to the manufacturers.. low sugar=popular??

3 stars may seem harsh but there are a plethora of cereal bars available and I don't find these at all outstanding.

Tideland [DVD]
Tideland [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jodelle Ferland
Offered by MERLINMOOSIKDE

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING! Also MAD and BEAUTIFUL at the same time!, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Tideland [DVD] (DVD)
There are dysfunctional families and then there is this messed-up sh..

This is a film full of extremes in imagery, emotion and experience.

But it ain't a swashbuckling adventure, so if you're into Indiana Jones this won't be for you.

It's more a study of a child's reactions to extreme circumstances. It reminds me a bit of Life is hot in Crack Town and I'm not Scared ("Io non ho paura"), both of which I would thoroughly recommend if you like this.

I'd say it manages to show the world through a child's eyes absolutely brilliantly. Very touching.

It may be called 'weird' by some but I'd describe it as 'out of the ordinary' which is JUST the kind of refreshing crazy stuff I love. Especially when it is done so skillfully and beautifully as this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20