Profile for Pallus > Reviews

Content by Pallus

Pallus (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PaperPro Eco Stapler 1716 Desktop model with One Finger Stapling Power, 20 Sheets (Sand)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good desktop stapler. But is it the best in the range for you?, 9 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this other stapler from PaperPro: PaperPro StandOut Stapler - Blue. That one is small, light, reliable, robust and a joy to use.

This more substantial desktop model has all the same features except for the pointers to show EXACTLY where the staples will be delivered.

Being larger and heavier, this one has less of a startling >snap< when fired but it still gives quite a loud >clack<.

It has a nice loading system where the drawer slides open when one fully opens the stapler. And it can take a full strip of your No.56s.

It's reasonably heavy and solid but still feels comfortable in the hand for one-handed mid-air stapling.

Depending on what size/weight you're comfortable with, you might want to check out the sexier-looking Evo model: PaperPro Evo Desktop One Finger 20 Sheet Capacity Power Stapler.

I suspect that all PaperPro's staplers have the excellent spring-action, so a larger size may not necessarily mean a great leap in performance or features.

The staples fasten in the traditional (old-fashioned) way where the legs curl-in against the paper. They do not staple 'flat'. Personally, I've found many flat staplers to be unreliable.

[My ref: Heavier PaperPro Desktop clacker, Nov 2014]

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared [DVD]
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Gustafsson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun IF you appreciate quirky humour. 4.5 Stars (rounded-down)., 2 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yes, there are obvious parallels with Forrest Gump as the film features flashbacks where Mr 100yo just happens to find himself involved in historical figures and events. Although these little diversions are amusing, I do find they distract a tad from the ongoing plot of what happens AFTER the old fella has plopped out of his window.

We follow the protagonist on his travels where he remains completely unfazed by the series of unlikely situations which come his way. After all, (as the flashbacks show), he's seen a lot in his 100 years.

This has the feel of a road movie with the viewer wondering where the Dickens he will end up next or what dangers he will nonchallantly disregard.

Despite the oddball characters and bonkers twists and turns of the plot, the actors all provide consistently superb performances. I found some of the funniest moments involved a dead-pan 'straight guy' delivery which did have me howling with laughter.

I started watching this late in the evening and the missus got quite peeved at my guffawing and slapping of the coffee table; for the sake of the neighbours I continued watching the following afternoon.

I wouldn't say this was PACKED with LOL moments, but I did find it very amusing. But then one of my favourite films is Alex Cox's Repo Man but on lending it to friends they've told me they had to switch off just 10 minutes in. Horses for courses.

However, even when not laughing or smirking, I was enjoying some very well shot locations including some beautiful scenery, as well as an enveloping soundtrack which all carries one along very nicely. It's also gently sentimental and could also be called a 'feelgood movie' (well, if it wasn't for all the shouty swearing and murderous violence!).

It's only that I found the flashbacks interrupted the centenarian's glorious madcap adventures that I've dropped half a star.

Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 25 LED Non-Dimmable Bulb with Frosted Lustre, Warm White (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect replacement for incandescents. 2cm longer than classic shape., 30 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The ones I received are only 3 Watts/250 lumens.
A tad larger (2cm longer) than a standard 40W incandescent candle bulb.
I found no discernable difference in brightness; I've posted pics taken with fixed exposure. The right-hand pic shows the lamp with the LED bulb fitted.
Only the front dome of the candle shape illuminates due to the starter. So in my lamp shown, the light isn't as evenly distributed as from the all-glass incandescent.
Described as 'warm' white, they're perhaps a tad less orange than an incandescent.
It does not get hot, just slightly warm.
I found it a perfect replacement.

AutoCAD 2015 and AutoCAD LT 2015 Essentials: Autodesk Official Press
AutoCAD 2015 and AutoCAD LT 2015 Essentials: Autodesk Official Press
by Scott Onstott

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFESAVER!!, 23 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been on a course for AutoCAD LT so SHOULD know something about it.
HOWEVER, months later, having found some time to review what I'd learned, I found myself staring at a blank screen, straining to remember where to start. Even the drop-down/pop-up hints didn't mean much to me.

Just as well I got this book before I was called-on to apply the software and training my firm had invested in.

Today, with the great help of this book, I put together a basic stage plan I needed to produce for a client. Granted, it was a 2D plan rather than an isometric or 3D creation but I could not have done it without this book.

The book is laid out into chapters which are a bit like lessons but can also be dipped into for reference.
Descriptions are explicit and it is particularly well illustrated with high quality colour pictures.
Files can be downloaded and worked-on as part of the learning process.

If you (or your employer) have invested in the software, I wouldn't bat an eyelid forking out another score for this book.
I can't recommend it enough. And not just because it bailed me out of the crapper!

Bose ® SoundLink Colour Bluetooth Speaker - Black
Bose ® SoundLink Colour Bluetooth Speaker - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice (( S T E R E O )) bluetooth / auxillery speaker. But with Bose boomy bass. Top battery life., 20 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The review title gives you the gist, really but here are some bullet-points for more detail. . .

~ Arrived in nice, fully recyclable packaging.
~ Makes SPOKEN announcements (names device it's lnked to, warns of low battery) which can easily be switched off.
~ Charges via micro-USB from PC or supplied compact mains charger.
~ Mine played via Bluetooth for OVER EIGHTEEN HOURS ON A SINGLE CHARGE! Albeit at moderate volume.
~ Charging took 8 hours however this WAS from a USB hub connected to a PC. The charger would do it in 3 I reckon.
~ This is a STEREO speaker. Something Bose inexplicably seem to want to hide; it is not mentioned ANYWHERE!
~ There are 2 small stereo drivers at the bottom and an oval (Rich Tea finger-shaped) bass driver at the top with rear vent. I couldn't see any way to take the thing apart to investigate further I'm afraid.
~ There are NO TONE CONTROLS which is a shame as the bass is horridly boomy; nauseating after a while.
~ The speaker looks and feels high quality. Heavy(ish) with nice clearly laid-out rubbery buttons on top. Handy shape.
~ The bluetooth playback can be paused from the speaker.
~ With the bass drastically reduced using the equaliser in the Play Music app on my Asus Fonepad, sound quality was very good. The stereo effect was apparent although obviously not very wide, due to the close proximity of the speakers.
~ A 3.5 mm stereo minijack Aux input is available for direct analog audio connection. There is no Phones output.
~ There is no microphone or other facility to answer phonecalls on the speaker.

Overall, a good sounding speaker for its size, apart from the bass which DOES need limiting from your source. Nice physical proportions and very easy to use. I found the Bluetooth connectivity easy to set up and reliable in use.

This would be very good for travel if you could accomodate the extra 530g in weight.

And did I say it's STEREO ?!!!

[My Ref: Boomy Bose Blootoof portable speaker. In stereo. Oct 2014]

GadgetpoolUK 5x Hard Plastic Case Holder Storage Box for AA / AAA Battery (Color may vary)
Offered by LTZmart

5.0 out of 5 stars YAY! Daisy-chainable colourful battery cases., 17 Oct 2014
Awesome! Even link together with clever side-clips.

Beats by Dr. Dre Powerbeats 2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones - White
Beats by Dr. Dre Powerbeats 2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Bass is OTT. But functions, controls, wear and styling all very good., 17 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These arrived in premium packaging; a large box in matt black with various card inserts. -All recyclable apart from a hinged plastic lid.

Included are different sized spare rubber gromets to fit your ears.
And a very short but high quality rubbery micro-usb charging cable (if only all USB cables were this nice).
There's a tidy oval zip-up carry case, too.

I found the headphones very easy to wear and quite smart-looking. The manufacturer has cleverly managed to squeeze the battery and Bluetooth gubbins into very small panels which are neither heavy nor bulky.

There is one button on the LEFT earpiece for power/link. The remaining controls are on the in-line mic: + and - for volume and middle button to answer 'phone or control playback. On my Asus Fonepad, 1, 2 and 3 clicks on the middle button executes Pause, Fwd and Back controls respectively, as standard.

The sound reproduction is good but FAR TOO BASS HEAVY. I listened through the standard 'Play Music' application and needed to invoke the equalizer to drastically reduce the bass. With this steep bass roll-off, the headphones sounded good; nice stereo image and general clarity.

But I don't think such drastic tone adjustment should be necessary. Especially for such a premium product.
I suppose these are designed for the gymn or street rather than for critical armchair listening but even so, the bass drowns everything else out and makes for uncomfortable listening at higher volumes.

Apart from the exaggerated bass, I find the system works very well. Bluetooth connection is solid and the controls convenient.

Only loses a star because of the unnatural sound quality.

Leitz Style A5 Soft Cover Ruled Notebook - Titan Blue
Leitz Style A5 Soft Cover Ruled Notebook - Titan Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice pad. Single use only, though -not refillable., 5 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very nice notepad with some thoughtful inclusions...

+ There are 2 ribbon page markers
+ And some nice silver removable adhesive tabs
+ A pocket at the back for receipts / business cards etc.
+ A centimetre measure
+ Elasticated strap and pen(cil) loop

It has a bendy vinyl cover with a kind of brushed metal finish.
The curved corners and style of the rule markings inside have a slightly retro look.

So, this IS a nice notebook but for something this smart (and at this pricepoint), one would expect the pad to be refillable and to include a matching pencil.

Health Aid CoffeeSlim - Green Coffee Bean Extract - 60 Vegan Capsules
Health Aid CoffeeSlim - Green Coffee Bean Extract - 60 Vegan Capsules

4.0 out of 5 stars Natural ingredients and no nasty side-effects. Any weight loss gradual rather than dramatic., 5 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like these capsules. Not because they achieve drastic weight loss but because they are made-up of tangible and harmless-looking ingredients.

The name is a bit of a misnoma as they also contain cayenne pepper, mango seeds, blueberry, chicory, green tea and raspberry ketones. Apart from the pepper and green tea, I didn't know any of the other ingredients had weight loss properties (and I don't beleive the ketones are proven in this respect).

Unlike some other diet aids I've tried, these don't give any undesired effects; I didn't have diarrhoea or experience palpitations.

THE BOTTOM LINE is that having already been off refined sugar for a couple of months, continuing that diet with these pills for another month, I have recently moved one notch up on my belt. How much this supplement contributed is obviously debatable but I'd rather have a gradual effect than being strapped to the loo.

The only thing that made me a bit sceptical was the huge range of 20-odd other supplements this company offers including one to banish cellulite. Hmm.. really?

[My Ref: Harmless diet pills Oct 2015]

1Byone USB Smart Charger SuperSpeed Hub with 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub + 2 Charging Ports (5V/1A) + 1 Charging Port (5V/2A) with 12V 5A Power Adapter and USB 3.0 Cable
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb robust, dependable and powerful solution to those after a hub which carries on charging after you shutdown., 4 Oct 2014
This item arrived compactly packaged in a recyclable box.
Mains lead for the PSU and USB3 leads are both included.

Both power and USB sockets are at the 'top' of the hub, enabling very tidy siting / easy cable management.
Matt black metal casing is well finished, looks the part and is very sturdy.

IN USE I cannot fault this for either power or reliability . . .

I've charged a big ASUS fonepad, a standard Huawei smartphone and had a SAD LED lightbox on full brightness all plugged into the charging sockets. I simultaneously watched an HD film from a WD Passport .5TB usb-powered hard drive, with other choices of films available from a Micro SD card plugged-in via an SD converter plus card reader and a standard pen drive.

During this setup I enjoyed many hours' uninterupted playback of films with the other devices charged/powered as expected.

The hub has worked flawlessly with both an XP laptop and a Windows 7 PC, Plug n Play.

I've even used this in the USB port of my basic Samsung non-smart TV where the choice of all drives inserted became available for film/music/photo playback. This enabled the TV to mount larger drives than it would normally support.
My Sony BD player wouldn't recognise it, though.

I have no hesitation in awarding all 5 stars as this is a robust and dependable unit. Really does deliver for those with demanding charging needs as well as USB hub requirements.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20