Profile for Chris > Reviews

The Speed Reading Book: Read More, Learn More, Achieve More
The Speed Reading Book: Read More, Learn More, Achieve More
by Tony Buzan

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 19 April 2012
I was a pretty slow reader until recently, despite having bought two other speed reading books, that made very little difference. What I like about this book is that it has lots of exercises that help you get that eureka moment when suddenly you realise that you can both read fast and retain the information.

At this stage I am in chapter 9, but I wanted to share my progress so far, as the exercises for this chapter will probably take a few days or weeks to really sink in. Here is my progress so far with comprehension remaining at 65-80%
Self Test 1: 170 words per minute (wpm)
Self Test 2: 210 wpm
Self Test 3: 280 wpm
Self Test 4: 375 wpm

I have managed to read at 800 wpm but at that rate comprehension takes quite a dip. But it's all about practice.

If you want to increase your reading speed then this book does the job.

War on Truth: Disinformation and the Anatomy of Terrorism
War on Truth: Disinformation and the Anatomy of Terrorism
by Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed

4.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough, 13 Feb. 2008
Like Ahmed's other books, the research and referencing of publicly available information is second to none. Each chapter and sub-section is very clearly structured by presenting the information and evidence, linking it to other information and ideas, and then analysing, interpreting and concluding from the evidence.

While it could be argued that some of Ahmed's conclusions are incorrect, inaccurate or plain false, this book definitely takes a new approach to 21st century terrorism. At the very least it makes the reader question not only the political propaganda surrounding the war on terror, but also the world media coverage and especially the work of the 9/11 commission.

I can't say I agreed with all of the conclusions, and a few of his ideas do come across as being little bit far fetched. However, it is definitely worth reading, regardless of your political and social beliefs.

Nineteen Eighty-Four
Nineteen Eighty-Four
by George Orwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it again, 13 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Nineteen Eighty-Four (Paperback)
This is definitely my favourite dystopian novel. Not saying that the likes of Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World are not good, but I just enjoy this book a lot more. I have read it about 3 or 4 times since the late 80s, and it seems that every time I pick up the book I notice elements in it that are so like current day events. Obviously not to the extreme as portrayed in the novel, but it's still amazing how these ring true. I don't think there is much more I can add to the countless reviews. So I'll just say that I highly recommend this literary masterpiece.

Miracle In The Andes: 72 Days on the Mountain and My Long Trek Home
Miracle In The Andes: 72 Days on the Mountain and My Long Trek Home
by Nando Parrado

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story fantastically well told, 13 Feb. 2008
This book was an absolute page turner. Even though I had read the book Alive, and knew how the story went, I just couldn't put the book down. Nando Parrado tells the story from a totally different perspective. He also manages to captivate the reader's imagination in such a way, that puts you right in on the scene.

It is a tale of what humans are able to withstand and achieve given the right state of mind and beliefs, whether religious or other, and how important family and friends are in all sorts of situations in life. Parrado manages to tell the story with both sadness and humour, which makes it a very humbling, yet totally enjoyable experience.

Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps
Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps
by Allan Pease

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather entertaining!, 3 Jan. 2008
Having read some of the negative reviews I was somewhat wary of the content, but I must say that it is at the very least very entertaining. As I am not a psychologist or brain scientist, or any other type of scientist for that matter, I can't asses whether the authors claims and theories are true or false, neither can I comment on any of the apparent proof of them being wrong in the negative feedback. However, I did find many of the explanations to be plausible and not all that far fetched. Explanations about the theories are quite simplistic without much detailed reference to any researched, which is a downside to the book.

Both my wife and I got great laughs out of this book, and there where countless comments like: "That is so true!". Whether or not the theories are true or completely unproven didn't really matter to us, as it was still very good entertainment.

Gavin And Stacey : Complete BBC Series 1 [2007] [DVD]
Gavin And Stacey : Complete BBC Series 1 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ruth Jones
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very funny show, 3 Jan. 2008
I totally enjoyed this show. The humour is fantastic with great sarcasm. Hope there will be more to come in the future.

Ben Hogan: The Authorised Biography: A Life
Ben Hogan: The Authorised Biography: A Life
by James Dodson

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic biography, 3 Jan. 2008
This is an extremely detailed account of the golfing life of one of the most talented golfers of all time. While the book covers all parts of Ben Hogan's life, from his birth and childhood, his amateur and professional golfing years, to his life after retiring, the main focus and largest chunk of the book focuses on his years of trying to succeed as a professional golfer and eventually achieving this goal.

As it is an authorised biography, the detail of many of the happy, funny and devastating events in his life, is amazing. The success of this book lies in exactly these details about: how hard he practiced to gain full control over his golf swing; how determined he was to get back into competitive professional golf, against all odds, after his accident (and succeed); how he dealt with winning and losing, especially in the Majors.

I could not find any fault in this book. It is definitely one of the best biographies I have read.

Running With The Moon: A Boy's Own Adventure - Riding a Motorbike Through Africa
by Jonny Bealby

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 3 Jan. 2008
I picked up this book by chance and was very pleasantly surprised. Jonny Bealby takes a very unique approach to writing a travel book, combining two different journeys with the emphasis on the trip around Africa and the side line story being about his late fiancée.

His choice of language and ability to visually describe the trip put the reader right on the "back seat" of his motorbike. He very well describes his emotions on a somewhat lonely trip, making this book very unique in the travel book world.

The only downside I found was that there are certain parts of the trip left out. Chapters sometimes end in one place with the next continuing miles along the journey, with no reference to the part in between. Maybe these parts were unimportant or uneventful, but given his ability to make even mundane or boring parts of the trip exciting to read about, I'm sure that a few pages would not have gone astray.

I would definitely recommend this book, regardless of whether you are planning a similar trip, are interested in motorbikes or have no travel interest in Africa.

No Country for Old Men
No Country for Old Men
by Cormac McCarthy

2.0 out of 5 stars A potentially good plot goes absolutely nowhere, 28 Nov. 2007
This review is from: No Country for Old Men (Paperback)
When I first started reading this book I was intrigued by the plot and the almost phonetic style of writing that portrays the Southern American/Texas accent. You could argue that this is a literary achievement in itself, but after quite a short while this became really annoying. Add to this the lack of punctuations and it becomes quite difficult to read, and this does not add anything to the reading experience.

Thinking that all this was the author's way of getting my attention, I expected the story to be a thrilling man-hunt with either a twist or even just a climax in the story. But none of this is the case; the story just ends without any details about how the hunted man is actually found. My impression was that important parts of the story are either too short or left out altogether; and in other parts sideline/unimportant events and dialogues tend to go on for ever.

The sheriff's thoughts throughout the book are an interesting sideline, but again don't really add any excitement to the story. His almost philosophical thinking about young people, drugs, violence, his war experience are so loosely patched together that he often comes across as just a ranting old man.

Overall I can safely say that this was one of the most disappointing books I have read in a long time, and I won't be any hurry to pick up any of his other works.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2012 6:12 PM BST

I, Woz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon - Getting to the Core of Apple's Inventor
I, Woz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon - Getting to the Core of Apple's Inventor
by Steve Wozniak

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 22 Nov. 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and it only took a few evenings to finish it.
It is written in an entertaining way but is certainly not a linguistic master piece. He manages to get technical details into the book, which are not intimidating to non-electronic engineers. At the same time he still manages to highlight how revolutionary some of the inventions were, from a technical and visionary point of view.
What I found missing, was more about his more recent passed/achievements, but maybe it's not as entertaining as the rest.
It did get a bit repetitive in regards to him claiming to have been the first to have done this or done that. While this may well be true, there is very little credit given to those that came before him; as Newton said: "If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants."
Altogether, I can highly recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2