Profile for Sugarhill > Reviews

Merrell Womens BUZZ Ankle
Merrell Womens BUZZ Ankle
Price: £52.00 - £65.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for my slightly wider feet, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Merrell Womens BUZZ Ankle (Shoes)
These work really well for me as someone with a wider foot. Having read other reviews I can see that if you've got skinny ('regular'?) feet then the elastic on the back and at the toe might work loose, but for me it just makes these sandals even better because I can pop them off without undoing the velcro at the back.
The only thing I don't like about them is that as I've worn them they've become slightly sticky underfoot - in hot weather, my feet are damp and I guess that on any shoe that's to be worn barefoot there's an accumulation of sweat and dust. When they were new the suede feel underfoot was just wonderful but now I find myself wanting to go and wash... a bit uncomfortable to live with, but given that the shoes are so comfortable, so light, and so easy to wear I am not really complaining.

The Whole Wide Beauty
The Whole Wide Beauty
by Emily Woof

3.0 out of 5 stars Memorial to a charming but difficult father, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Whole Wide Beauty (Paperback)
One of the things I found interesting about this book was the sense that in writing it, the author had been coming to terms with the memory of her father. I confess that I found some parts of the book irksome (yet more portrayals of middle class arty couples dealing with the difficulties of balancing career ambition, desire for the perfect relationship, and concern with providing a good childhood for their little ones), but I relished the characterisation of the father.

The novel has the feel of a play, or choreographed live performance, with a final finale with all the cast (and maybe all the technicians) gathered around a lake... at a live performance piece. It suffers, somehow, from a strange woodenness, populated by a mixture of one-dimensional, stylised (and often quite hilarious) characters, and characters made vivid through dialogue - rich, real and believable.

Ostensibly the story of a young mother at a transitional point in her life, the novel's main character is surely her father, a charming and difficult man. He reminds me of everyone I've met who's an artist and has also been diagnosed as bipolar. Emily Woolf makes him step out of the page. I relished every scene in which he appeared, and found myself wishing I'd met him.

Goodchild: A Kink of a Life
Goodchild: A Kink of a Life
by Paul Goodchild

1.0 out of 5 stars probably the worst...., 4 July 2009
I picked up this book in a charity shop. Let me warn you that I only made it about a third of the way through it before I gave up. This is the worst kind of vanity writing that I have found to date. I only stuck it as far as I did because I was incredulous.

London Bridges
London Bridges
by Jane Stevenson

3.0 out of 5 stars A ripping good yarn, 7 Jan 2008
This review is from: London Bridges (Paperback)
This book wasn't quite as good as I thought it was going to be, but reading it was a lot of fun. Armistead Mapuin meets David Lodge meets Dan Brown?

There were lovely windows into the life of academics, into all sorts of interiors, parts of London, into urban gardens, the preoccupations of allotment holders and dog owners, and the lives of isolated elderly men, all of which rang true for me. I enjoyed the exploration of Englishness and Otherness, of social class and financial power, especially the vitriol thrown at those who struggle to keep university departments conservative, sexist and upper class.

The characters tended to be caricatures, with the exception of Sebastian, a flamboyant gay academic, who was lovingly drawn. I thought the first and final chapters were very poor in comparison to the rest of the book, but enjoyed the little scenario with which the book ends.

A final comment: when I was at school, back in the 1970s, I learned both Latin and Ancient Greek. Even so, I couldn't make out the meaning of all of the greek phrases and latin quotations in the text. I understand that, despite the popularity of Barbara Bell's Minimus, it is rare for young people to learn classical languages, so I would assume that the majority of readers would miss out on these elements of this text. I thought it interesting that no footnotes nor endnotes had been provided to help readers.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2008 9:27 PM BST

Foxy-T
Foxy-T
by Tony White

4.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I hear of this book when it came out?, 24 Jun 2006
This review is from: Foxy-T (Paperback)
I came to this book through reading a review in which a comparison was made with Gautam Malkani's "Londonstani".

The characters must surely be drawn from life. Keenly observed, they are redrawn on these pages with respect and affection from the author. Plot was great. Language likewise. I could have given the 5 page sexual fantasy a miss, but never mind.

Above all, I rate this book for conveying the (claustraphobic) sense of living out a life within the streets of just one London neighbourhood.

The Dangerous Book for Boys
The Dangerous Book for Boys
by Conn Iggulden

2.0 out of 5 stars Fifties nostalgia or politically dangerous?, 24 Jun 2006
This is an extraordinary "boys own" book which takes us right back to the 1950s. I bought it for my son, who's keen to finish his go-cart, perfect his arrow-flitching skills and his paper aeroplane folding technique.

We also have a copy of the 1981 edition of "How to Hold a Crocodile: Plus Hundreds of Other Practical Tips" by the Diagram Group. This is a book of black-and-white illustrations which offers a similar world of fascinating facts, instructions and tips.

I preferred How to Hold A Crocodile to the Dangerous Book, as the former provides the information without offering up an image of a country which consistently celebrates its Britishness without qualm or criticism.

One of the things that I love about living in this country is the diverse cultures and histories of the people we meet and the different perspectives they have on life. I'll use this book with my son, but I'll introduce it as a book which re-creates the sort of boyhood that only one of his grandfathers might have had.

Londonstani
Londonstani
by Gautam Malkani

3.0 out of 5 stars A different approach to academic research, 6 May 2006
This review is from: Londonstani (Hardcover)
The book grew out of some research he'd done during his degree, encouraged by an obviously rather wonderful academic named Dr Sue Benson.

The central thesis is, as he explained in an article in the FT, "the idea that if a boy's maternal role model is stronger than his paternal one, he is likely to overshoot with his own definition of what it is to be a man and develop a form of "hypermasculinity"". Knowing this tempers what would otherwise be my frustration with much of the language.

As a novel, I'd say that this book is rather irritating, but as a fictionalised write-up of some anthropological research, I'd say it's rather good, and he obviously had a lot of fun writing it.