Profile for Dangerscouse > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Sennheiser/Adidas OMX 680 High-Performance Stereo Clip-On Earphones
Sennheiser/Adidas OMX 680 High-Performance Stereo Clip-On Earphones

2.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, but not sweat resistant, 18 May 2012
I've had two pairs of these now, and whilst the sound and fit is good after four or five months the sound all of a sudden falls of a cliff and there is no bass / tone leaving a distant and very tinny sound.

I used to use Sony headphones for less than half the price of these and they lasted for well over a year with a similar amount of sweating from the gym....think I need to go back to them

No Way Out
No Way Out
by David Kessler

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother....., 18 April 2012
This review is from: No Way Out (Paperback)
I persevered with this, despite my suspicions at almost halfway that it wasn't going to get better.

The plot is OK at best, with some very (and overly) technical explanations which don't really add much to the basis of the novel, unless your a law geek. For me, it plods along for most of the book with no real direction other than some very predictable storylines and the ones that aren't predictable are verging on the comical.

The book was probably a 5 out of 10 until the end when it rapidly declined into a farce that was quite ludicrous in parts. I'm just glad that I got this on a 3 for £5 deal, as it wasn't worth any more. I'll even have reservations about giving this to a charity shop.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2012 10:36 AM BST

The Camel Club: 1
The Camel Club: 1
by David Baldacci

4.0 out of 5 stars Great plot, good book, 8 April 2012
This review is from: The Camel Club: 1 (Paperback)
This is my first David Baldacci book, and I did enjoy notwithstanding some unnecessary moments of hyperbole.

It's got a great plot, albeit it's a bit long and convoluted with a number of characters, but if you stick with it, it's worthwhile in the end. It is well researched, but as someone else has mentioned there is a tendency to go into too much detail at times. It is also a bit unbelievable, but most books are these days and that's half the fun of reading books.

I did feel that one of the characters was a bit too unbelievable, but it's easy enough to ignore with the strength of the plot and writing generally. Overall, if this isn't one of his best I'm looking forward to reading his other books.

Sensational Ike & Tina Turner
Sensational Ike & Tina Turner
Offered by avsuk1

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Ike & Tina comps, 7 Mar. 2012
As morally abhorrent as Ike Turner was, there is no doubting that he knew how to write a great soul song. This is probably the best Ike & Tina compilation you will find, with all of the hits on there and a few lesser known gems as well, 'Golden Empire' being a good example.

If you want some Ike & Tina but can't face deciding on which of the mountain of compilations or their original artist recordings, then go for this one...I've got loads of both and generally fall back on this.

The Secret Speech (Child 44 Trilogy 2)
The Secret Speech (Child 44 Trilogy 2)
by Tom Rob Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent book, 7 Mar. 2012
I do find it fascinating how people's opinions can be so polarised. For me this is another excellent book, with Child 44 being slightly better, but that is very very difficult to beat, and well worth reading.

The plot does move around a lot but there is still a strong reason for this, and as the story unfolds it makes sense and fully accords with the sense of paranoia and extreme measures that were necessary in Russia in the 50s. Personally I felt that all of the action added to the suspense and didn't in any way detract from it.

Seeing as quite a few people having read, and enjoyed, Child 44 didn't enjoy this book I clearly can't guarantee that you will enjoy it, but I know for sure that I couldn't put it down and enjoyed it from start to finish. I think the best thing to do is just to forget about your expectations and read it and allow Tom to take you on his journey.

Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2)
Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2)
by Lee Child

3.0 out of 5 stars Too sensationalised for me...., 5 Mar. 2012
Clearly Lee Child is a good author and knows what he is doing, but for me the well thought out plot, which had some a very good threads of story, was too often sensationalised and frankly quite annoying.

When Reacher was in mortal danger, he was thinking I could take on three armed men, as i'm Jack Reacher after all, which for me cheapened the story. It's a shame too as there were some very clever elements of the plot and I did enjoy it, but this enjoyment was alduterated by the unnecessary bravado and strange references to prime numbers and others instances of counting, which, for me, was incongruous especially for a recurring theme throughout the novel.

Sony NWZS765B.CEW Series 16GB Walkman - Black
Sony NWZS765B.CEW Series 16GB Walkman - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't really fault it, 6 Feb. 2012
I bought this solely for the purpose of the taking to the gym as i didn't want to fill up my ipod with mixes, and in my opinion this is just as good as, if not better than an ipod.

I've always liked Sony, for years they have been my weapon of choice for playing my music, but I crumbled about 3 years ago and bought an ipod as my collection was too big for any other mp3 to handle, so I can give a good comparison.

Volume is ace and I have got no issues at all, it's louder than my ipod classic and the headphones that come with it are very good too. Not sure why people think the volume is too low, possibly the bitrate of the mp3 is too low? The different sound settings are good too and actually make a difference, unlike the ipod which seem to be very minimal on the EQ. Sound quality is fantastic too, just as good as anything I've heard.

As I said the headphones are fantastic and are the best I've ever used i.e. they sit perfectly in my ear without the usual falling out with a slight turn of the head....only problem is they are so good, it is hard to hear background noise if the volume is up quite high.

Transferring is dead simple with a drag and drop facility; not sure if this links in with itunes or not, but as i've got 150gb on my itunes I dont want it to. Haven't tried the bluetooth facility, nor will I bother trying it.

There are thre slight issues, it is a bit lightweight, but all mp3 players in this range are, after circa 24 hours it forgets where it was when you paused it last, and the fast forward is quite slow (slightly annoying if you've got one long track). Nothing that is too much of an issue, bot possibly slight drawbacks for some people.

All in all, thoroughly recommended.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2012 1:38 PM BST

The Inspector and Silence (The Van Veeteren Series)
The Inspector and Silence (The Van Veeteren Series)
by Håkan Nesser

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth your time, 21 Dec. 2011
This is the first Hakan Nesser that have read and if it wasn't for the reviews saying that it was poor in comparison to other books of his, it would have been the last.

The characters are very bland, the storyline and plot despite some early promise were rudimentary at best, with some quite frankly bewildering lines at times. I can't help but think that this book was produced to a deadline or a contractual obligation, it's by no means a master at work. It's not all bad and there are glimpses of Nesser's ability, but they all too often remain glimpses.

Having read Jo Nesbo, Stieg Larsson & Henning Mankell I fail to see the comparisons of these great authors, hopefully the next one that I read will show him in his true light.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2012 1:08 PM BST

The Family Sign
The Family Sign
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Another top drawer effort, 30 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Family Sign (Audio CD)
Atmosphere have consistently churned out fantastic hiphop tunes for years now, and they seem to be getting better. The rapping is intelligent, thought-provoking and full of life's stories, with the production being some of the best that I've ever heard.

I struggle to think how, within their chosen genre of hiphop, Atmosphere can be bettered....they are the group to aspire to be as good as. Every tune makes you listen, not just hear it as it plays, it's like a load of stories all bundled up in some great beats.

If you've never heard them before, you should listen to any of the tunes and if you like the style, then you'll like Atmosphere, from the midtempo 'She's Enough', to the slower 'Bad Bad Daddy', the acoustic 'Who I'll Bever Be' and the wonderful story-rap of 'Your Name Here' this generally sums up what Atmosphere do best, and regularly on their albums. If you really aren't sure that you want to spend money just yet, then just search for 'Strictly Leakage', their internet only released album of extras that they gave away for free.

Moving At Breakneck Speed
Moving At Breakneck Speed

4.0 out of 5 stars This is very good but could have been better...., 13 Nov. 2011
First of all it's UD, and they can do no wrong in my eyes, and this is a very good album, BUT I feel that they missed a trick with this as they slipped back into their older style.

For me, the 'Audacity' album was defo their best, mainly because they changed their style with some surprisingly very good singing, and this album should have developed on that. It's still top drawer funky hiphop in the UD style, but I think it was a missed opportunity....some more variety would have been welcomed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7