Profile for Peter J. Berthoud > Reviews

Content by Peter J. Berthoud

Peter J. Berthoud (London, UK)

The City of London: A Companion Guide
The City of London: A Companion Guide
by Nicholas Kenyon

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Companion for a City Walk, 20 May 2012
As a single-volume introduction to the architecture and history of The City of London, I don't think this book can be beaten.

Small enough to take with you on walks around The City, the book is written in a lively but authoritative style and packed with beautiful photographs. A very nice addition to my collection.

Daily Life in Victorian London : An Extraordinary Anthology (Victorian London Ebooks Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Changing the Habits of a Lifetime For, 20 May 2011
I do not own a Kindle. I do not like the idea of a Kindle. I am an ex-bookseller and am wedded firmly to print. However I am fascinated by London's history, especially Victorian history. My pockets are not deep but my appetite for acquisition is insatiable.

I do own an I-Phone which now has many useful London related apps on it. I also spend a lot of my life on public transport.

I wanted to get hold of this book for its contents. With no print version available I was thus forced to modernise or go without and I am glad that I chose to do the former. I can now "leaf" through this treasure trove of a book on the tube or bus. For less than the cost of a double espresso I now own this work - amazing!

The format works very well indeed for the phone as the text is in brief but fascinating sections, easy to put down at an interchange. I can't imagine reading it at home on a phone when I have so many unread "proper" books but out and about it is perfect, a genuine e-page flicker.

Should you ever release a nice cloth-bound version of "Daily Life in Victorian Britain" on quality paper, I will certainly buy that too and enjoy the same text at home, in time honoured fashion. Until then, thank you for showing me the merits of an alien technology.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2011 11:47 AM BST