Profile for kumoyuki > Reviews

kumoyuki

Deus Irae
Deus Irae
by Roger Zelazny

5.0 out of 5 stars The impact of a nuclear first strike doctrine, from a pair of SF Masters, 24 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Deus Irae (Paperback)
This book is an amazing fusion of ideas from two of the most unusual writers in SF. Stylistically, it harkens back to Golden Age writing: it is more of a hyper-extended short story than what we would normally expect of a novel these days, but frankly that could be said of most of PKD's writing.The complaints I have read about this book all seem to me to be missing the point - and I won't make the point here because it would ultimately spoil the penultimate chapter. Suffice it to say, that I find this book to be among the best of PKD and completely worthy of Zelazny's reputation as well. As a long-ish novella, it was more than worth the time. Read it.

Types and Programming Languages
Types and Programming Languages
by Benjamin C. Pierce

4.0 out of 5 stars The standard text on type theory, 15 Oct. 2014
This is the standard text on practical type theory for programming languages. It deserves its place. Reading it is not easy, but then again this is a text for graduate students.

Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana
Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana
by Devdutt

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and engaging, 15 Oct. 2014
This is a fabulous book, and a great introduction to the world of the Hindu epics.The prose retelling to clear and simple, with plenty of end notes to each section indicating its connections to the huge variations in the traditional retellings of this epic. The end notes also clarify quite a few points of how the character's actions relate to Sanatana Dharma, the spiritual traditions and practices of the Indian sub-continent.

I also have to add a word about the line drawings which are sprinkled liberally throughout the book: they are also fabulous and give a much better sense of what is meant when a character in this great drama "has ten heads" than the usual depictions seen in the west.

Ghost Of A Rose
Ghost Of A Rose

4.0 out of 5 stars Grows in the Spirit, 3 May 2009
This review is from: Ghost Of A Rose (Audio CD)
Well I just have to weigh in as a newcomer to Blackmore's Night. I've been listening to both _Fires At Midnight_ and _Ghost of a Rose_ in my car for a bit now, and I definitely find this to be the stronger album. It is more human, deeper and more passionate.

As far as specific songs go, it is worth the price of admission if only for the three songs: _3 Black Crows_, _Ghost of a Rose_, and _Diamonds and Rust_. But the other tracks are also very nicely done, even if they don't reach the same depth of expression and creativity.

While I was instantly attracted to the real sense of joy and beauty I felt listening to Blackmore's Night, it did take time for my ear to grow accustomed to their mode of expression. This record turned the corner for me, though. It is strong throughout and will give you moments that will never fully leave your head.

Pagan Polyamory: Becoming a Tribe of Hearts
Pagan Polyamory: Becoming a Tribe of Hearts
by Raven Kaldera

4.0 out of 5 stars Mind Body and Spirit, 3 May 2009
The only thing wrong with this book is the fact that it aspires to a greater level of scholarship than it achieves, but the anecdotes covering the major aspects of polyamorous practice in the middle of a (dysfunctionally) monogamous society are enlightening, to say the least. At times you get a sense that this is a serious research effort, but the sample size is clearly too small, with the more eloquent people being quoted multiple times.

However, its flaws are eminently forgivable. The anecdotes are wonderful and provide an overview of a topic that is all too easy to stereotype. These are all people who are in love and are committed to learning how to work out the compromises of love without compromising the fact of the love itself. Additionally, Raven Kaldera's rituals for the many aspects of polyamorous life help tie it very firmly to the spiritual world that his subjects' love is expressing.

I was reduced to tears more than once reading this. It was worth every cent.

The Worm Ouroboros (Forgotten Books)
The Worm Ouroboros (Forgotten Books)
by Eric Rücker Eddison

3.0 out of 5 stars A Strange Gem, 3 May 2009
I primarily wish to provide some balance to the gushing prose that is heaped upon this work. It *is* a good book, but it is certainly not what you expect it to be. It is a dream sequence, non-linear, and fragmented. Yet for all that, it was well worth the effort it took to read it.

But it does take effort. Eddison (like Tolkein) was writing to the audience of a different age. Unlike Tolkein, he was less successful. Where Tolkein's prose served the descriptive purposes of a grand historical epic, Eddison revels in word-play for it's own sake. Yet it does have many bright moments, not the leat of which is the tail-eating finale (one has to suspect it is also the source of the title).

It's hard to paint a picture of a middle-ground opinion. I liked the book, but it's definitely not of universal appeal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2015 7:40 PM GMT

The Story Of The Weeping Camel [2004] [DVD]
The Story Of The Weeping Camel [2004] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Janchiv Ayurzana
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed review, 11 Nov. 2008
Here's the scoop. My wife & kids loved it and would certainly have given it 5 stars. And all of her friends & friends kids loved it as well. So maybe I'm just a curmudgeon, but I found it to be a relatively lame production, which tries to make up with an exotic atmosphere what it lacks in plot and character. I didn't hate it by any means, but it just didn't work for me.

Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become
Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become
by Peter Morville

4.0 out of 5 stars Intertwingling bites you over and over again, 6 Jun. 2007
This book reminds me a lot of some of the theses I have read in the field of Human/Computer interaction. That shouldn't be too surprising since it covers material about the ways that people interact with information - the fun part is that computers and the web are treated as an outgrowth of a universal human activity. Morville's broad-minded approach led me to more than one epiphany concerning the mission and design of a new business venture, so for me, it was almost a perfect book: a detailed exposition of core principles which I could apply to my existing projects.

That said, I am not an expert in HCI, although I have been a software professional for over 20 years. Some aspects of this book may also be considered flaws by people who do not think in the same ways that I do. Peter Morville relies fairly heavily on analogical reasoning, and he seems to have a healthy aversion to extremes. So in a sense, his book doesn't answer any questions, but it strongly suggests that the process of exploration is probably the answer. He makes it very clear, to anyone who didn't already realize it, that we are in the midst of a major socio-cultural revolution and can almost seem pedantic at times. But I can honestly say that I felt every page was worth reading.

And once you've read it you'll understand how by writing this review I am intertwingled with the findability of his works, and with my own.

Discipline
Discipline
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Discipline/Indiscipline what's the difference?, 30 May 2003
This review is from: Discipline (Audio CD)
On Vinyl the contrast of the two sides was very pronounced, the Indiscipline side...Elephant Talk to Indiscipline is very 'loose' (if this KC lineup could ever be called such a thing) and the Discipline side is tight as the drum-heads that Bruford uses to move this album along.
I first heard Indiscipline at a live show, and while the studio version here is perhaps not as loud, it is still just as electric. The music produced by Fripp's boys has the mechanical precision of a Kraftwerk album, it is still a very human album; visceral even.
Really the best you can hope for is to echo Adrian Belew:
I LIKE IT!