ARRAY(0xa1306780)

Mutiny On The Bounty
by John Boyne
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking historical fiction, 26 Jun 2009
This review is from: Mutiny On The Bounty (Paperback)
Anyone with an interest in historical fiction will surely enjoy this one. Boyne's writing is pretty solid - by the standards of the genre it is superb - and his portrayal of the major historical players breathes new life into a well-worn story. Most notable is that Bligh, so often the villain of the story, is cast as a well-meaning and generally kind officer whose chief concerns were the welfare of his men and the success of his mission. Highly recommended.

Franz Ferdinand
Franz Ferdinand
Price: 6.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Superfantastich, indeed, 16 Jan 2004
This review is from: Franz Ferdinand (Audio CD)
Having seen Franz Ferdinand live a few times and listened to the contents of the albums a few times already, I cannot possibly recommend this album enough to you all. It's pointless even putting them into a genre, they just make gloriously enjoyable music that you won't be able to resist playing over and over.
They are going to be absolutley massive, there is no doubt about that.

Ixos MOS Dj1004 Headphones IXOSMOS1004
Ixos MOS Dj1004 Headphones IXOSMOS1004

1.0 out of 5 stars Painful, 14 Aug 2003
I don't think I've ever found headphones painful to wear before, but these ones certainly are. They clamp down far too hard and after any prolonged wear start to cause a great deal of pain in your ears and often headaches. Their case is not helped by the speakers inside the headphones, which are covered by a ridiculously thin and flimsy foam which does absolutley nothing to stop them digging into your ears.
On the up side, which is rather irrelevent given the pain, they do produce good sound and unsurprisingly stay on your head rather well. However that does not, in any way, make up for the pain they cause.

Under the Influence: Morrissey
Under the Influence: Morrissey
Price: 10.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic and Surprising, 22 Jun 2003
Let me clear this up: I'm a huge Morrissey and Smiths fan. I adore just about everything Morrissey has ever done, and that was what motivated me to buy this album.
However, I fully expected this compilation to be utterly awful. I might love Morrissey but it certainly isn't blind love, in fact I've always thought a lot of the music he liked was quite frankly a bit rubbish.
Yet, when I finally got around to listening to the album two days after I bought it, I found it both compulsive and exciting. I'll freely admit that I had only heard of 10 or so of the 15 artists featured, and I was pleasently surprised to find how enjoyable most of the tracks were. Bands like the New York Dolls and T Rex I've always admired, yet it was some of the bands that I had heard little of that jumped out, Ludus, the Sundown Playboys and the Cats all impressing.
Of course, it's not all good. Certain tracks seem out of place, grainy old records following up new wave for example. It lacks a sense on continuity throughout, although perhaps that is what makes it compulsive listening - waiting to see what Moz has thrown on next. A few tracks almost lived up to my pre-purchase 'utterly awful' expectations, yet perhaps it is because I had such low expectations that I have been so pleasently surprised by the album. The sleeve notes from the man himself are a nice touch, and if you're a fan of Morrissey then you'd be a fool not to pick up this album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2010 8:45 PM BST

Stamping Grounds: Exploring Liechtenstein and its World Cup Dream: Liechtenstein's World Cup Odyssey
by Charlie Connelly

5.0 out of 5 stars True stars, 17 Oct 2002
After reading about the (rare) highs and (frequent) lows of the Liechstenstein I am left in the position that I can only hope my own national side never faces them, as I would struggle to decide which side to support. Connelly writes and portrays the players and country in such a light that you can't help but to fall in love with this tiny nation. No longer am I ignorant of the talents of Martin Telser, or the potential of Peter Jehle, or indeed who the identy of the greatest journalist in the world is.
The book is truly laugh a minute, but while Connelly could have taken an easy route out and simply unfairly ridiculed the country and their team, he seems genuinly smitten by the country and there are more laughs at his own expense than at Liechstenstien.
If you are looking to rediscover football than look no further than this book. There are few books that I've taken more pleasure from reading than this.