Profile for Lighthouse Keeper > Reviews

Content by Lighthouse Keeper

Lighthouse Keeper "Lighthouse Keeper"

Page: 1 | 2
Bump to Birthday, Pregnancy & First Year Journal (Parent & Child)
Bump to Birthday, Pregnancy & First Year Journal (Parent & Child)
by from you to me

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely keepsake, 11 April 2014
I love this book. I'm 13 weeks pregnant and I'm really enjoying writing in it each week. The designs are cute but not overbearing. It's really nice.

Ginger Ray Photo Booth Vintage Style Wedding Mr & Mrs / Party Props Kit
Ginger Ray Photo Booth Vintage Style Wedding Mr & Mrs / Party Props Kit
Offered by Ginger Ray

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for wedding!, 24 Nov 2013
We ordered these for our wedding and everyone loved them. We used a frame from a picture and got everyone to pose with these as well as another set from Ginger Ray. The service was great, they arrived really quickly, and I was so pleased with the quality. It seems Ginger Ray have a great range of really cute products for reasonable prices. I'll definitely be buying from them again.

TeckNet® NEW Kindle 4 Premium Folio Case / Cover With Magnetic Clasp For NEW Amazon Kindle 4 / 6 inch / 2011 generation / Book Style - Includes Kindle Rear Protector - Brown
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality for the price, 4 Jan 2012
I received my Kindle case and was instantly impressed by the quality. There is a protective plastic cover for the back of the Kindle, which you apply before placing it in the cover, and if you require more covers (should you not be able to apply it first time), they will send them free of charge. The Kindle fits perfectly and looks very smart now, and is protected much better than when I was carrying it round in a woolly hat! I would recommend it to anyone.

Mudbound
Mudbound
by Hillary Jordan

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: Mudbound (Paperback)
Read it in a day, couldn't put it down, loved every page.
Characters well crafted and believable.
Didn't think the blurb on the back cover did it justice!
Would recommend!

Red Pottage
Red Pottage
by Mary Cholmondeley

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: Red Pottage (Paperback)
This book is by the little-known (today at any rate) Mary Cholmondely and often regarded as an autobiographical novel. It is metafictional in that it is a story about a writer creating a story. In 1899 it was a best-seller.

Hester is regarded as a spinster at the age of 27 and enjoys a "romantic friendship" with her friend Rachel (they are very close friends but no more than friends). Hester is writing a second novel after being successfully received with her first offering.Hester's book is so important to her that she regards it more as her child then simply a novel, and is totally consumed by it. She lives in an enclosed world of her brother's vicarage with his family, and her brother cannot believe that Hester's work is of any use partly because she is a woman and partly because he himself is a much superior author. (In fact he is boring and repetitive - Vineta Colby writes that Hester is "as sensitive, intelligent, witty and gifted as her brother is callow, bigoted,
humourless, and stupid.")

Her family cannot understand why she is so tired all the time, and regard her as lazy but in fact she is working all the hours of the night to write her novel, as she gets no peace from her brother's family during the day. She is extremely fond of her nephew Regie but nothing compares to her work. Cholmondely herself was a passionate writer who suffered all her life from debilitating illness. Hester is frustrated by the society around her which dictates social calls as the domain of the woman, a reflection of Cholmondely's bitterness at her own lack of education perhaps. Hester's writing is of no importance to her family who believe she should do more for them, their children. Her sister-in-law Minna thinks that Hester goes out of her way to vex her, and is a little envious of Hester's grace, superior social standing and intelligence.

Within the story there is also an intriguing plotline of a bet between two men who love the same woman - whoever loses the bet must die.

An important book in the world of New Woman fiction, Hester's story is one which will capture your heart. I loved not only the story but also the setting of the Vicarage in the village of Warpington. I really recommend this book, a great read!

HTC Wildfire S Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
HTC Wildfire S Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Digi-Fun

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 31 Aug 2011
It's smart, it's snazzy, it's easy to use! If, like me, you only had a "normal" phone before, you won't find this one too difficult to use, perhaps if you're not used to touchscreen at all, it might take a little getting used to, but it has little tutorials to show you how to use the touchscreen, and then you're away.

The screen quality is excellent, it's smart, the camera is great, the layout is brilliant. Texting is easy, and you can see the text conversation between you and your friend, so if you need to look back at what was said, you can, which I think is a standard of smartphones probably, but new for me! Also the predictive text is really helpful, unlike any predictive text I've used before, which used to make stupid suggestions, this one actually knows what you meant to type, and I make far fewer mistakes using this phone than I ever did before. It helpfully knows that if you pressed keys "hsd" you actually meant "had", but if you actually want to say "hsd", you can still select that! So it gives you the option if you want it (if you like your own "made up words" you can add those easily, then it will predict them.) It's really good and texting doesn't take me an age, whereas on every other phone, it's taken me a long time to get used to the format.

Everyone who's looked at it has said what a good little phone it is! It is smaller than an I-Phone or other similar, but I like that it is! My dad now wants to get one, as does my friend, and I really recommend it.

I am not on it all of the time, so the battery life so far has been quite good, but I understand that if you are constantly using apps etc then you're going to run down the battery quicker, and therefore can expect to be charging it every night, but I don't see the problem with that anyway. And you can turn certain things off to increase the battery life as well, like the animated weather report etc.

I think if you want a smartphone and you've not had one before, this is a great place to start!

iGadgitz Black & Pink Flowers Silicone Skin Case Cover for HTC Wildfire S Android Smartphone Mobile Phone + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 31 Aug 2011
Protects the edges of my phone and the back, so I can keep it scratch free. Pretty design on the back, good quality make, and fits perfectly so that the camera lens etc. are still accessible. It comes with a little cleaning cloth (quite little!) and a screen protector, but I am not sure I'm going to put the screen protector on, as I have read that it reduces the touch-sensitivity of the phone (I bought it for the silicone skin, the screen protector is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.) Really good value product, I really recommend it, you get a lot for under £5. I was going to buy one through the phone company I bought my phone with, but I thought this looked much better value, and I was proved right.

Notes on Golding's "Lord of the Flies" (Cliffs Notes)
Notes on Golding's "Lord of the Flies" (Cliffs Notes)
by Maureen Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for ideas, 14 Oct 2010
This gives major insights into themes, characters and describes the plot for each chapter in detail. An excellent support for reading the book with a view to answering examination questions. Fantastic!

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Oct 2010
Unfortunately I'm having the same problem with this as I had with the original tomtom one that came with my satnav...it's hard to get it to stick on the windscreen, you can't do it in a hurry...would probably go for something different next time. It's not very durable, so if you're not careful, it may break easily... I wanted this rather than a more elaborate mount as they seem fussy and a lot of hassle...maybe once I get the hang of this one, I'll be able to stick it on the screen a bit more quickly!

Ghost Song
Ghost Song
by Sarah Rayne

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Ghost Song (Paperback)
I could not put this down, it was full of drama and suspense from the very beginning and every twist and turn was fantastic! I loved the characters and how they were developed, and think this is the best Sarah Rayne I have read so far. Can't wait to read the next one!

Page: 1 | 2