Profile for Jeffrey Davis > Reviews

Content by Jeffrey Davis

Jeffrey Davis "jmd555555" (Sussex UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Symphony in D Minor, String Quartet (Norwegian Ro)
Symphony in D Minor, String Quartet (Norwegian Ro)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this!, 5 Jun. 2011
Outstandingly melodic and memorable material. Alf Hurum was a long-lived Norwegian composer (1882-1972) who was born in Oslo and died in Honolulu. His wife was from Honolulu and Hurum spent much of his life there, which is perhaps why he is not better known in Europe. The music on this CD is quite beautiful, full of memorable material (I had a piece of music going through my head yesterday - couldn't place it and then recognised it as one of the orchestral scores on this disc). If you like Sibelius, Grieg, Madetoja (another underrated composer) and Debussy this should appeal to you. The String Quartet (1912-13) is engaging, light and memorable, but for me the outstanding music here is the Bendik and Aarolilja Symphonic Poem and the great Symphony in D minor of 1927. If you like late-romantic, moving, memorable and powerful scores this could be for you - there is a strong sense of nature. Hurum has been one of the best discoveries for me in recent years - I'm only sorry that he did not write more symphonies. I would be surprised if you regretted the purchase of this CD.

Saving Private Ryan
Saving Private Ryan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and an enjoyable score., 4 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Saving Private Ryan (Audio CD)
If you have enjoyed the intelligent film 'Saving Private Ryan' you may well like to have the equally enjoyable and sometimes moving score by John Williams. Having said that, I think that the best track here is 'High School Teacher' (which accompanies perhaps the best bit of the film - for me anyway) where the emotion is (slightly!) underplayed and therefore more effectively conveyed - there is a great sense of looming threat at the end. The Hymn to the Fallen I am less enthusiastic about - the chorus sounds corny and the whole piece rather contrived, almost a pastiche. I think that this type of tribute is done much more effectively in Samuel Barber's 'Adagio' and in Bernard Herrmann's fine 'For the Fallen'. I realise that many may disagree. Still, Private Ryan remains a fine film score.

Havergal Brian - Symphony No.10, Symphony No.30, Concerto for Orchestra, English Suite No.3
Offered by Vocalion/Dutton Epoch Direct (Crazygreen8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, 16 Mar. 2011
Havergal Brian's one movement 10th Symphony (1954) is one of his greatest works. A craggy, defiant and epic score - I have waited for decades for a performance from a professional orchestra. Having said that, listening to this fine new CD made me realise what a great job James Loughran and the Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra did on their long deleted recording (the first, I think made of any Brian Symphony and fortunately Brian as a very old man was around to see it). Initially sections of the new recording sounded 'wrong' as I'm so familiar with Loughran's old recording but having listened again I think that Martyn Brabbins and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra produce a wonderful performance of this great work - I found the ending especially poignant in this new recording. The English Suite No 3 is in a lighter style, but very enjoyable, being evidently inspired by the Sussex countryside and the late Symphony No 30, whilst being more elusive than the 10th contains interesting sonorities which held my attention and made me want to it listen again. A must for any Brian fan and a great introduction to his music. Good notes too.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2012 8:30 AM BST

Menotti: Apocalypse and Other Works
Menotti: Apocalypse and Other Works
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music!, 21 Feb. 2011
All three works are excellent, but for me the highlight is the short work 'The Masks' by Ronald Lo Presti (1933-1986), which is not even mentioned on the front of the CD! In particular the first movement is extremely moving - a work I often return to and which never fails to grip me. Menotti's 'Apocalypse' is one of his best known orchestral works and is also powerful, very approachable and eloquent - much the same can be said for Dello Joio's 'Meditations on Ecclesiastes'. There are more recent recordings of the Menotti and Dello Joio scores but the Lo Presti is otherwise unavailable. In fact, there seems to be next to nothing by him on CD - a very poor state of affairs as he deserves to be much better known as he is one of the most rewarding American composers (try his 'Elegy for a Young American' on You Tube - a deeply felt tribute to President Kennedy). An excellent programme and all credit to James De Priest, the Oregon SO and Koch for recording Lo Presti.

Music of Samuel Barber
Music of Samuel Barber

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding CD, 7 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Music of Samuel Barber (Audio CD)
I agree with A Hill's review, but I just wanted to add that the Essay No 2 (a diminutive title for a truly symphonic work in 10 minutes!) is my favourite work by Barber - a magnificent and very moving score - and this is my very favourite performance and recording of it and much the same goes for Knoxville (a wonderful work) and the powerful Medea Dance of Vengeance. If you wanted one Barber CD in your collection this is the one that I'd recommend. All credit to Yoel Levi and the Atlanta SO.

Madetoja: Orchestral Works
Madetoja: Orchestral Works

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine composer - overshadowed by Sibelius, 21 Nov. 2010
I agree with the earlier review - Madetoja was a very fine composer. The influence of Sibelius is strong in places; I was listening to a very enjoyable piece on the radio the other day, which I was sure was a piece of Sibelius - it turned out to be the Ostrobothnian suite (on this CD). Madetoja's Third Symphony is generally considered his greatest, but my favourite is the late romantic Symphony No 2 (1918), in memory of Madetoja's brother who was killed in the Finnish Civil War. I find Madetoja's music to be more moving than Sibelius (Tapiola being a great exception) - try the Epilogue (Andantino) of the Second Symphony, which to me suggests hard-won acceptance, a lovely piece at the end of a fine, memorable symphony. Also, the Prisoner's Song and Arrival Reel of the Ostrobothnian Suite are eloquent and moving. I find that this music remains with me long after I have stopped listening to the CD. You can't go wrong with this fine, reasonably priced set. I have the symphonies on the Alba label too - fine performances, but at a higher price - still, I wouldn't be without the 'Tragic episode and Rapids shooting from the opera Juha' on the Alba CD (Madetoja Orchestral Music Volume 1) this is my favourite single CD of Madetoja's music because as well as featuring the 'Tragic episode from Juha' it also features the Ostrobothnian Suite and Symphony No 2 - worth having I think even if you've invested in the excellent Chandos set.

Diamond - Symphony No 3
Diamond - Symphony No 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsung hero of 20th Century American composers, 14 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Diamond - Symphony No 3 (Audio CD)
David Diamond's Third Symphony (1945) deserves to be up there with great third symphonies by Aaron Copland, Roy Harris, William Schuman and Howard Hanson. It is a deeply moving (especially the slow movement) and inspiriting score of great power and eloquence. The original Delos release still seems to be available inexpensively and that includes Diamond's fine score to Romeo and Juliet which is not included on the Naxos release. The 'Psalm' and 'Kaddish' are both fine scores too. There is a rugged, Old Testament Prophet quality to Diamond's music, coupled with a Ravel-like orchestral clarity which results in a synthesis of considerable power.

Don't hesitate.

Dyson: Symphony in G major; Concerto da Chiesa, At the Tabard Inn
Dyson: Symphony in G major; Concerto da Chiesa, At the Tabard Inn

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than originally thought., 27 Oct. 2010
Dyson's only Symphony (1938) faced stiff competition from the likes of Vaughan Williams, Bax, Moeran and Walton. After its 1938 premiere it was largely forgotten until revived in the 1990s. When Richard Hickox's fine Chandos recording appeared the critics were luke warm at best (with the exception of the critic from the, sadly defunct, 'CD Review' magazine.) Actually, the more I get to know this work the greater I think it is. Like the slightly earlier 'Nebuchadnezzar' it gives up its secrets only on repeated listening - I have come to like it more and more. Sure, it is no storm-clamouring symphony along the lines of Walton's First symphony, but there is great depth in this work. Whilst there is a strong sense of 'Stanford and Parry meet Sibelius' about the Symphony, it is also shot through with a humanity and warmth which is especially appealing in the context of the gathering storm clouds of World War Two - and, if you listen carefully, I think that, beneath the genial surface, there is a strong sense of foreboding in this fine work, I prefer the Lloyd Jones on Naxos to the (very good)Chandos version under Hickox.

Well worth investigating.

Bloch - Israel, Nigun, Schelomo
Bloch - Israel, Nigun, Schelomo
Offered by Music-Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and powerful, 3 Oct. 2010
This was originally issued on a full price label and is now more desirable at budget price. The 5 stars are for the performance of Bloch's 'Israel Symphony'composed from 1912-1916. It pre-dates the Hollywood biblical epics by decades and although it shares something of their sound-world, it is superior in all respects. The CD was not well reviewed on first appearance but having just listened again to the Israel Symphony I would now say that it is even better than Dalia Atlas's excellent recording on ASV (although you will not go wrong with that either). In view of the stormy history between Russia and Israel, I find it oddly moving to hear the Russian State Symphony Orchestra under that great conductor Svetlanov perform this music so eloquently. I think that this version has a greater sense of rhythmic vitality than the versions on ASV or the old (also very good) Abravanel/Vanguard version. Schelomo is perhaps not quite as successful but I'd recommend this very good value CD for the epic symphony. Helpful booklet notes from Malcolm MacDonald complete a very rewarding issue.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2011 10:51 AM GMT

Milford: Fishing by Moonlight
Milford: Fishing by Moonlight

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely CD of gentle, lyrical music, 5 Jun. 2010
This is a lovely CD of gentle, lyrical music. Milford had a sad life (his only child was killed in a road accident just before his sixth birthday) and ultimately committted suicide in 1959, having made several previous attempts.

The music is paradoxically uplifting, but with a gentle melancholy which is very appealing. If you like the music of Finzi, Warlock and the more pastoral by-ways of Vaughan Williams and Holst (Milford's teachers) this should definitely appeal to you. I enjoyed every work here but the lovely 'Go little book - Suite' for flute, soprano and strings is a highlight. I would love to hear Milford's Symphony, which Vaughan Williams apparently thought highly of (Dutton?)

Excellent performances, recording, cover art and notes.

Ideal late night listening. This is one of those CDs I can play regardless of what mood I am in.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15