Profile for J. Grigg > Reviews

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Had promise but fizzled at end, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Suspend your disbelief for a while. Not a bad holiday read /airport buy. Ending bit weak which is annoying. Thriller but predictable in places.

Canon LP-E6 PREMIUM Replacement Rechargeable Camera Battery (100% COMPATIBLE) from Dot.Foto - with Dot.Foto InfoChip - 7.4v / 1600mAh - 2 Year Warranty [See Description for Compatibility]
Offered by PowerPlanet Europe
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 13 Jun 2013
Having bought - and returned - an alleged Canon battery which cost over 40 quid , didnt work and looked a bit different to the original battery I had with the camera I had low expectations.
In fact this battery is great. Holds its charge as long as the genuine Canon one and works well.
So a genuine canon battery really will cost you 70 quid. If going for an alternative you may as well get one of these

Canon LP-E6 Battery Pack
Canon LP-E6 Battery Pack
Offered by Great Britain Deals
Price: 47.00

1.0 out of 5 stars I returned it as it didnt work, 13 Jun 2013
It had different markings to the one that arrived with the camera so I have no idea whether is was a 3rd party one or not . As it didnt work I had an immediate no quibble refund which was very good

Neewer New 67Mm Neutral Density Nd4 Filter Double Thread Nd 4
Neewer New 67Mm Neutral Density Nd4 Filter Double Thread Nd 4
Offered by Happy Sales UK
Price: 1.13

2.0 out of 5 stars Pink, 13 Jun 2013
A nasty pink tinge to things. I guess it is like buying a good pair of sunglasses or a pair from ASDA. It is great for checking out whether you would use an ND filter much without having to spend loads. For that reason I am glad I bought it. Colour casts can be removed easily enough in photoshop anyway.
As in most things, you get what you pay for. For amateurs like me handy to spend under a fiver to try one out.

The Red House
The Red House
Price: 3.59

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm not the only one...., 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Red House (Kindle Edition)
Having been a fan of the "Curious Incident" and "Spot of Bother" I was looking forward to the Red House.
It was ok. Had I not been expecting it to be like the others I had read I may have been more forgiving. As it is, I can hardly believe it is by the same author and is sadly disappointing.

The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking
The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking
Price: 5.15

1.0 out of 5 stars Would have made an interesting magazine article but not enough for a book, 23 Feb 2013
If I could have given zero stars I would. It starts out quite interesting and gos downhill from there. Padded out to the extreme with descriptions of the weather on the day of interviews and mentioning Shakespear as if to lend credibility to this book.
Having read the book 'Into thin Air' by Krakauer I knew the bits in this chapter to be misinterpreted. Indeed Buerkeman contradicts himself starting out by saying the weather was no worse than any other and a page or two later saying people died in a most dreadful blizzard. He also confuses arrogance with positive thinking.
The bit on happiness in the slums was patronising and offensive. I have been to the slums in Kibera and done some international development work. I nearly threw my iPad at the wall in disgust.
It was a struggle to complete it. As a book group book I did complete it.
If you must read it then the first and last chapters give you the picture, there is not much worth reading in the middle.

Eddingtons Pumps High Heel Cake Tin
Eddingtons Pumps High Heel Cake Tin
Price: 19.62

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, 9 Feb 2012
It is the size of an average size 5 shoe. Will have to put it on top of another cake if it is to feed more than three teenagers!

A Bowl of Cherries
A Bowl of Cherries
by Shena Mackay

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok. An engaging read but not out of the ordinary, 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: A Bowl of Cherries (Paperback)
I liked the book, don't get me wrong. It just wasn'y outstanding. Good Autumn afternoon reading while it rains outside/holiday read.Nicely written. Would give 3.5 stars if I could.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
by Kate DiCamillo
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant little book, 18 Sep 2011
One of my favourite childhood books was Gobbelino The Witches Cat, a story of a litte cat who is adopted by various families and finds a warm hearth in the end. The plot line is similar if you switch a kitten for a toy rabbit and don't bank on the ending. The writing of Edward Tulane is just lovely. Very evocative and haunting. It is a short book but leaves you thinking about it for days afterwards.
Thoroughly recommended. I have just sent it to my sister as a surprise present!

Rosemary's Baby
Rosemary's Baby
Price: 4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, skillfully written, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: Rosemary's Baby (Kindle Edition)
I have not seen the film but thought the book was great. I read it on a dull car journey and got very engrossed. Rosemary moves into a nice building and starts to suspect things are not what they seem . Strange things happen , people get hurt, then she gets pregnant and it get's a whole lot worse!
A very well written book. I was a bit let down by the ending but having read another of Levin's books now it is fairly typical of his style.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3