Profile for E. Smith > Reviews

Content by E. Smith
Top Reviewer Ranking: 692

E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vax U84M1PE Power Pet Bagless Upright Vacuum - Grey/Blue
Vax U84M1PE Power Pet Bagless Upright Vacuum - Grey/Blue
Offered by Hoovers-R-US

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than You'd Think, 1 Nov. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Vax U84-M1 is significantly better than a Vax we had a few years ago, which went to the skip a while back as it never lived up to expectations. Firstly, this Vax is lightweight in comparison and certainly isn't a struggle getting it up and down stairs like some vacuum cleaners. Out of the box, this machine seems a bit cheap and plasticky, but looks don't tell you everything as it has a very powerful suction which must be the Cyclonic technology. I couldn't believe the amount of dust, fluff and hairs that came out of our shaggy rug! Being bagless you can see all the dirt and dust that comes off your floor, but it does make you feel that it is doing its job when you observe this. It's easy to empty with just one large release button.

The cable is about 5 meter long which isn't long enough for my liking as it means I need to plug in in each room rather than to plug in once in the hall and that is it. The cable tidy is large and chunky with plenty of room to wind the cable round. I did find putting the attachment hose with the heads together a bit confusing but got there in the end with help from the instruction booklet.

The turbo tool is great for the upholstery where the cat likes to sit, picking up everything without much effort. There is also a height adjuster to raise or lower the Hoover brush depending on type of floor that is being cleaned which is useful if you have different carpet thicknesses.

We have a cat which sheds hair everywhere so this Vax will give us the confidence that hairs are being removed so as to eliminate the chances of friends who have animal allergies having problems when visiting. We're certainly picking up a lot which our otherwise excellent Henry seems to have missed.

All in all I would recommend this Vax, especially as the price is very reasonable and the power is impressive. Having spent only £20 less on a dismal cordless handheld, I wish we'd never wasted the money on that and had gone straight to this.

Dasco 14" Dascomatic Boot Shaper
Dasco 14" Dascomatic Boot Shaper
Offered by The Shoe Lace Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy But Effective, 30 Oct. 2015
These are scarily flimsy out of the packet, but they seem to have a reasonable amount of strength to allow them to push the boot leather outwards and maintain the shape. I can see how cheaper brands would be weaker and not be up to the job.

I bought two pairs for men's 16" and 11" engineer boots, so relatively thick leather, but the shapers do a decent enough job. I'd imagine they're more effective with thinner women's boots.

2 Pairs of PREMIUM Red Cedar Shoe Trees, Size 9.5 UK
2 Pairs of PREMIUM Red Cedar Shoe Trees, Size 9.5 UK
Offered by Langer & Messmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, But Buy Small, 30 Oct. 2015
Liking good quality footwear, I have a number of shoe trees by another brand, but chose these for speed and the good reviews. Similar to my other brand, I'd say these fit large, so I'd recommend you go down at least half a size.

I wear size 10 shoes, but knew from experience a 10 tree would probably be too bIg, so I ordered 9.5s. Sure enough, these just squeezed into my Tricker's boots and no more, so no way would a 10 fit.

Quality seems decent enough, so I have no complaints, except for the sizing issue.

L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Wrinkle De-Crease Moisturiser 50ml
L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Wrinkle De-Crease Moisturiser 50ml
Offered by i-adore hair & beauty

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Enough, 30 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've moisturised my face for decades, so using this is nothing new to me. The container is small, with a pump action to get the mousse out. It seems a bit runny, and when you spread it on your skin goes shiney, but it quickly dries in.

My wife says it has a slightly fruity scent, but other reviewers have said it's odourless, so who knows where the truth lies. It feels pleasant enough and does the job of moisturising well enough, but as for reducing wrinkles, I can't see any difference after a week, but maybe that's expecting too much.

If you're a guy of a certain age who doesn't moisturise, then this is as good a product as any to start with, and who knows, maybe it'll work a little miracle after a while. Like the lottery, if you're not in it, you can't win it, so at least by using this cream, you're making an effort to preserve and improve your skin.

Silentnight Cooler Summer Mattress Topper, Double
Silentnight Cooler Summer Mattress Topper, Double
Offered by Home & Cosmetics Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems Good Quality for the Price, 28 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very nice lightweight and comfortable mattress topper. The topper is non allergenic, washable and the cover is 100% cotton. It is easy to put on with elastic straps at each corner which keeps it firmly in place, rather than having it slide around.

Although it's not feather or down, it's made of breathable cirrus fibres which are a range of synthetic vapour management fibres designed to control humidity levels (apparently). These increase the chances of a comfortable sleep by helping the heat and humidity escape, so keeping you cool and cosy. I have tried a few mattress toppers, as I prefer to always sleep on one, and this one although not noticeably thicker, is of a good quality and certainly helped to give me a good night's sleep. I didn't find the synthetic filling to be an issue at all.

Given the reasonable price, I'd say it's a good buy, especially for the extra comfort it brings.

ByJoy 925 Oval Cut Ruby Sterling Silver Pendant on a Curb Chain of 45 cm
ByJoy 925 Oval Cut Ruby Sterling Silver Pendant on a Curb Chain of 45 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pretty, 24 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The pendant comes in a sturdy little box which is nice if giving as a gift. The chain is light and very fine which matches the the small sparkling gemstone which claims to be genuine.

My wife loves this little pendant as it's so discrete and how it sits nicely just below the collarbone. It can be worn to any occasion and she recommends it highly.

Bounce Cacao Orange Energy Balls 42 g (Pack of 12)
Bounce Cacao Orange Energy Balls 42 g (Pack of 12)
Offered by Superfooduk

4.0 out of 5 stars Thick and Chewy, 23 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are quite small, but they're not something you could eat even two of in a row. The nutty mix is actually quite pleasing and gives a crunchy feeling when you chew. And chew you will, as these don't go down quickly, so despite the small size, you have the feeling of eating more than you actually are.

At about 180 calories a ball, you can judge your intake, but there's quite a high sugar content. Doing a lot of hillwalking, I always take protein bars with me, and to be fair, this bar is better tasting than my usual one.

One good thing is that there's a nice, wide range of flavours, so next time I'd rather go for the mint or the coconut, as orange isn't really my thing. However, my wife does like chocolate orange sweets and says that this one has a nice flavour and is one she'd buy again.

So, it's a pleasant tasting, chewy and surprisingly substantial protein bar, but just make sure you get the right flavour.

ByJoy 925 Pear Shape Sky Blue Topaz Sterling Silver Pendant of 45 cm Box Chain
ByJoy 925 Pear Shape Sky Blue Topaz Sterling Silver Pendant of 45 cm Box Chain

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and Colourful, 21 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife's not normally one for coloured jewellery, but when I showed her this she was keen to get it.

It's small, dainty and discrete, certainly not flashy. The chain and stone are very light in weight and therefore it's comfortable to wear. The stone itself is bright and sparkles nicely in the light, bringing attention to it. The overall quality of the item seems high, especially for the price, and it has a pleasing understated elegance.

If any proof is needed, my wife said that she had several compliments about it on the first day she wore it to work. No doubt she'll want the earrings next, then a handbag, shoes etc etc.

Priceless [DVD] (2006)
Priceless [DVD] (2006)
Dvd ~ Audrey Tautou
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyable, 20 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Priceless [DVD] (2006) (DVD)
I bought this subtitled version after having watched the French original many times in order to work on my French. I knew I was missing a lot without having any translation, and watching this helped fill some of the gaps. There's still a lot I'm not picking up, but I'm getting closer.

Anyway, this is a really pleasant, enjoyable film, set in some glamorous and colourful locations and involving some likeable characters. You know you shouldn't like Irene, but she's so shameless and honest (not to mention cute), that you just can't help it. It also has a number of very funny moments, usually relating to when Jean forgets that he's not meant to be a waiter or hotel worker.

This is reminiscent of Audrey Hepburn or Cary Grant type comedies from the 50s or 60s and is all the better for that.

Highly recommended to while away some time on a wet or miserable day and will leave you with a smile on your face.

Honeywell CZ2104EV1 Heavy Duty Heater
Honeywell CZ2104EV1 Heavy Duty Heater

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and Tough Heater, 18 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Given the macho name, this heater was smaller and lighter than I expected. Having said that, it's still pretty robust and I wouldn't be worried if it fell over.

Operation is pretty simple. Just press the right hand knob in and turn it to fan only, or low or high temperature heating. Having to press the knob adds a safety feature, which is always a good thing.

There's also a thermostat dial for fine-tuning when it cuts out due to having reached a certain temperature. At the lowest setting, it's used for coming on at 5C or less, which is presumably more for garages or greenhouses and the like.

However, I felt the cable was pretty short, particularly if it's aimed at garages etc, where there may be fewer power points.

In use, I wasn't wowed by blasting heat at the highest setting. It's more pretty warm than hot, but it's probably fine for small enclosed spaces. I imagine it would be relatively expensive to run, but then you only need to have it on for a shortish time to take the chill off the air, so it's unlikely to be going at full speed all day.

As a tough, functional heater with some useful safety features, this is a good buy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20