Profile for Lydia > Reviews

Content by Lydia

Lydia "Lydia" (UK)

White Cotton Cards Nanny's Boasting Book Tiny Photo Album Toys Range (Blue)
White Cotton Cards Nanny's Boasting Book Tiny Photo Album Toys Range (Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Gift For Nanny, 23 Jun 2014
This was a gift for my mother in law, who wanted to be able to show off photos of her new grandson. She was very happy with, as it is small enough to pop in her handbag and can be easily added to. Exactly what we were after.

Easidream Ewan the Dream Sheep
Easidream Ewan the Dream Sheep
Offered by Baa Baa Baby

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 23 Jun 2014
My son hated sleeping alone until we got Ewan when he was about 6 weeks old. We've never used the music or light settings, but he loved the womb white noise / heartbeat. He would settle down as soon as the sheep was switched on, almost trance-like, and was far happier sleeping in his carrycot. My son is now 14 weeks old, and we still use Ewan at bedtime. We always put him down awake, with the sheep switched on, and he settles himself to sleep within minutes. I'm sure the soothing noise of the sheep is a factor in how well he settles. I love this product, and would recommend to anyone with a small baby!

Tracy Anderson Method - Post-Pregnancy Workout [DVD]
Tracy Anderson Method - Post-Pregnancy Workout [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tracy Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Way Too Hard!, 23 Jun 2014
I found most of this workout way too hard. Tracey assumes you have a degree of fitness, flexibility and strength which frankly, I just don't have, especially after 9 months of pregnancy! The ab work is very hard going, and I found the leg section impossible and I spent most of it laid on my back watching Tracey doing exercises I had no hope of actually pulling off myself. I have to say, I found the level of difficulty a bit off putting, and I haven't done the workout as much I had hoped to do. Also, the music is quite annoying and it irritated me that the exercises weren't in time, but that's probably just me being fussy!

The Good Birth Companion: A Practical Guide to Having the Best Labour and Birth
The Good Birth Companion: A Practical Guide to Having the Best Labour and Birth

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, clear, sensible advice, 29 Jan 2014
I read this book following NCT Antenatal classes which did focused very much on the scientific process of birth, and although they touched on relaxtion techniques, did little to calm my fear of childbirth (being a first time Mum)
This book was great, it's written in an easy to read manner and was easy to put down and pick up again. It's not patronising, like some of these books are, but explains things in a clear and concise way. There is also a chapter for Dad's, meaning they don't need to read (or pretend to read!) the whole book, which outlines how they can help their partner during labour which my husband found very useful.
I can honestly say that reading this has helped me feel more confident about my baby's impending birth and would recommend it to anyone who has fears and concerns about childbirth.

Kärcher WV50 Window Vac - Window Cleaning Vacuum
Kärcher WV50 Window Vac - Window Cleaning Vacuum

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Aug 2013
We're very impressed with our Karcher Window Vac - we use it not only for windows, but mirrors, our glass shower cubicle, the glass kitchen splash backs, our hi-gloss kitchen cupboards, even the kitchen worktops as it leaves everything with a lovely streak free clean. We just use it with a sponge, water and fairy liquid and everything is sparkling in no time. The battery doesn't last as long as it might, but this is a small price to pay as it's so useful. Very highly recommended!

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite author, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book to read as one of many while on holiday. I loved it, and promptly downloaded GF's other two books. Disappointed there are only three of them!

The Half-Life Of Hannah
The Half-Life Of Hannah

1.0 out of 5 stars Just Terrible..., 20 Mar 2013
I rarely feel compelled to review the books I read, but felt so strongly about The Half Life of Hannah, here I am.

This book is simply dire. It is full of completely inane conversations between the main characters that go on for pages and pages with absolutely no purpose. The writing style is shockingly bad.

I also rarely give up on a book, but I couldn't bear to waste any more of my time on this drivel.

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

1.0 out of 5 stars Massively disappointing..., 12 Nov 2007
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
I recently took Shantaram on holiday after having it recommended to me by a friend. I honestly can't remember the last time I was so disappointed with a book.
The story itself is great, but the book could have and should have been quite a bit shorter. Roberts details lengthy conversations which appear to have no relevance to the story time and time again, and which quickly lost my interest. I had no issues with the author as a main character, as some other reviewers did. I just thought he banged on a bit...I really think had the story been told in a more concise manner this would have been a five star book.
Also the writing style is frankly terrible. It's the only word for it.
I got back from my holiday 3 days ago, with approximately 150 pages left to go. I haven't touched the book since, and don't intend to. The bottom line is, I feel as though I have wasted enough time ploughing through Shantaram and can think of a million better things to do than finish it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2008 2:46 PM GMT

Lowepro Slingshot 100 Sling Bag For Digital SLR & 1-2 Lenses for Canon 450D, 1000D,500D, Nikon D3000, D5000,D90, Sony Alpha DLSR Range and Panasonic G1 Series  - Black
Lowepro Slingshot 100 Sling Bag For Digital SLR & 1-2 Lenses for Canon 450D, 1000D,500D, Nikon D3000, D5000,D90, Sony Alpha DLSR Range and Panasonic G1 Series - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Bag!, 9 Feb 2007
I cannot recommend this bag highly enough. I recently took it on holiday, and was able to fit an SLR, a compact digital, tons of spare films and memory cards and my guide book in it! The inside is full of pouches to store stuff, and there are extra pockets for small items like keys etc on the front. The weather proof cover is great (and worked in a heavy downpour!)