Profile for S. Forgie > Reviews

S. Forgie

Generation Hyper
Generation Hyper

5.0 out of 5 stars Big up the Hyper D, come cross!, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Generation Hyper (Audio CD)
Great album for old school D&B fans such as myself, brining back many memories from when Stevie Hyper D came blazing onto the scene. Such a shame his time was so limited. Full Respect.

Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals: v. 1 (Expert's Voice in Oracle)
Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals: v. 1 (Expert's Voice in Oracle)
by Jonathan Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic coverage of the CBO., 24 May 2007
If you are an Oracle DBA interested in Oracle performance, then this is the book for you. I have been a DBA for more than 9 years, and have read many books on the subject of Oracle performance. I can honestly say that "Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals", along with the Tom Kyte books, are a clear cut above the rest.

Amazingly, more than 400 pages of in depth technical coverage is described as the fundamental level - this serves as a reminder that this book is the first in a series of three, all to be written by Jonathan Lewis.

As you work your way through the book, and examine the test scripts and examples provided, it becomes apparent that Jonathan Lewis has spent many years investigating and testing Oracle, enabling him to be able to share this level of depth and knowledge.

I found that one of the shortest sections - "Appendix A, Upgrade Headaches" was very helpful for my particular day to day role as a DBA. I have always found that there is a fear of what the Optimizer has in store for you, as you upgrade from one version of Oracle to the next. Jonathan Lewis manages to cover off many Optimizer specific changes between the versions that may catch you out. This serves as a very good checklist for any DBA.

Finally, I will be reading this book again, as I need to make sure I have not overlooked anything before the second instalment arrives in the shops!