Profile for SCS > Reviews

Soehnle 63746 Pharo 200 Clear Digital Personal Bathroom Scale
Soehnle 63746 Pharo 200 Clear Digital Personal Bathroom Scale

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek & so easy to read, 30 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The huge display is what I love about these bathroom scales, that and the sleek design. It's made of glass with silver panels on either side, switches easily from pounds, to stone and pounds, to kilos, and it even gives you a more detailed reading by displaying additional decimals to the pounds, i.e. giving a measurement of 10st 7.4lb, the decimal notaion giving further info would be valuable for anyone who is hoping to lose weight (or gain it) where every half a pound counts - literally! Lets not go into the old imperial versus metric technicalities with decimal notation, half a pound is half a pound ;)
Useful scales, easy view of display from standing and very accurate. I highly recommend.

Esprit WCAS K21521 Women's Jumper Cream Blend Medium
Esprit WCAS K21521 Women's Jumper Cream Blend Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely jumper if your figure suits it, 11 Dec. 2012
I liked the fabric and fit on top, but it was a just too short for my figure and I'm only 5ft 2". But my problem is my bust, if you have a larger bust, then you need to consider how this will hang and look. I returned it, although I have to say it was lovely, fabric, quality etc, just not for me.

Shadows
Shadows
by Paula Weston

5.0 out of 5 stars just the right balance..., 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Shadows (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you like paranormal romance/action/plots, then Shadows is for you. The beauty of Paula's writing is that yes, it's a familiar theme but she's definitely given it a new angle, making it well worth a read. This is an author I will definitely be following.
The story revolves around Gaby, who has lost her twin brother in a car crash (he's decapitated) and moves away to start over. However her past catches up with her. After meeting Rafe in her local bar she begins to realise that there is more to her past than she realised. Her nightmares of killing and decapitating demons and hellspawn - which she's finally written about, are far more real than she ever would have imagined.
Paula Weston draws you in, quickly creating empathy for her characters, whilst keeping the plot moving at a good pace. She has a great balance of romance, bloody violence and surprises, making you wonder who Gaby should trust and who is trying to manipulate her.
A promising first of a trilogy that creates a setting and a mission for the sequels nicely. I look forward to the next two.

A History of the World in Twelve Maps
A History of the World in Twelve Maps
by Jerry Brotton

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit too serious, 26 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having enjoyed brief histories, and light-hearted reviews of major events, in books such as 'Atrocitology', I found this particular tome very heavy going. If a very detailed and serious explanation is what you are after, this book is for you. I, however, was hoping for a quick snapshot, a surge of knowledge, the way to impress my children and their teachers....sadly I had to give in.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2012 4:13 PM GMT

The Greatest Love Story of All Time
The Greatest Love Story of All Time
by Lucy Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked Bridget Jones, you'll love this!, 26 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a fabulous read. I sat engrossed well into the night following the exploits of poor Franny. The characters are so believable, endearing, annoying etc. I loved Lucy's writing style, it was raucous humour at it's best.
I must admit that I wasn't initially drawn to this book as it simply wasn't my kind of genre, however it drew me in from the first page and kept me rivetted. #
The book begins in 2010 and then goes back to the beginning of the relationship she had with Michael in 2008,flipping between time successfully as the story unravels and even though you are aware from the off that things took a major downturn for them, the writing is such that you still cannot help but feel happy for her and her new relationship and upset when it flips in the next chapter to her current situation.
The plot takes a few unexpected twists and turns along the way keeping the reader guessing.
To summarise, this is a fun and entertaining novel and as I mentioned in my title, if you liked Bridget Jones and all her embarrassing trials and humourous triumphs, then you'll thoroughly enjoy this one.

Anna Dressed in Blood
Anna Dressed in Blood
by Kendare Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars A little book of horror, 21 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Anna Dressed in Blood (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you like a little tension in your bedtime reads then this is for you.
This story is about a ghost and a ghost hunter who comes from a family of ghost hunters. There is a good amount on thrilling tension and occassionally a bit of scary horror. However, this is also balanced by a healthy amount of humour, sarcasm and interesting and reasonably believable characters. This book is defintiely a page turner and I enjoyed the writing style immensely.
If you like a little romance, a little horror, and a jolly good plot then I definitely recommend Anna dressed in blood.

Fury of Seduction (Dragonfury Series)
Fury of Seduction (Dragonfury Series)
by Coreene Callahan

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 21 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am still getting used to Coreene's style and hence the rating of 4 stars as opposed to 5. Her style is not poetic by any stretch of the imagination, however her stories are first rate. I received the first book through Vine to read and review, and although at the time I moaned about her style I still went on to pre-order the second novel as the characters and plot are captivating.
This is the third book in the series based around the Night Furies; men who take the form of dragons and have a range of different yet lethal skills. Women, human women, tap into a power that the dragons need to survive and sustain themselves, the night furies treasure women, (even though they often sleep with them and leave them with little more than the memory of having had super sex!) They battle the Razorbacks, whose leader, Ivar, basically wants to wipe out the human race, and has no qualms with imprisoning, raping and torturing women.
This, the 3rd novel follows the trials of Mac, an extremely rare water dragon, and Tanya, a high energy female who is his mate. What I really like about these novels, despite the sometimes annoying writing style, is the way the heroes treasure their women. The plot keeps the action coming and the villains are defintely not people you'd want to meet alone!
This novels brings more of the politics and hierachy of the Dragonesse people into play, extending the story out over Europe and bringing in key political figures, one of whom is funding Ivar.
Annoying writing style aside, I found this book captivating and entertaining, and if you like urban fantasy, action and romance then this series is for you and despite my moaning about her style I will be pre-ordering the 4th book.

Large Celtic Wooden treasure chest trinket box
Large Celtic Wooden treasure chest trinket box
Offered by Thorness

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful box, 16 Nov. 2012
This box was exactly as described by the seller. The wood is smooth and well crafted. The lid hinged well and the detail on the lid was intricate. I was looking for a box to use on our new radiator shelf in the hallway, for keys etc. This fitted perfectly and I am very pleased with the way it looks, it also matches the wood of the radiator shelf quite well too. Thsnk you for such a lovely product at a reasonable price.

LSA Uno Carafe & Tumbler - clear
LSA Uno Carafe & Tumbler - clear

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Carafe, 14 Oct. 2012
This review is from: LSA Uno Carafe & Tumbler - clear
This is a fine little carafe and perfect for filling with water and taking up to bed with you, as I do every night. I have in fact ordered 3 of these and the delivery of the items was swift and well packaged. The reason I have given it 4 stars instead of 5 is simply this (and the reason I ended up ordering 3), the glass is very thin, so much so that when the 2nd one arrived, and my teenage daughter offered to wash it before use, she broke it!! On the day it arrived, so let me reiterate, it is fragile thin glass, so does need to be handled with care, (only I wash it out now). So although I would have preferred to have slightly thicker glass for this item, it still is lovely. So I do recommend it.

Industrial Magic (Otherworld)
Industrial Magic (Otherworld)
by Kelley Armstrong

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one, 14 Oct. 2012
This is the forth in the series by Kelly Armstrong, following on from Dime Store Magic and the twists and turns of Paige's life. A little slower than Dijme store magic, but none the less still worth a read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15