Profile for J. Willis > Reviews

Content by J. Willis

J. Willis

McCloud - Season 5 Complete (Region 2) (Import)
McCloud - Season 5 Complete (Region 2) (Import)
Dvd ~ Dennis Weaver
Offered by Retro_Foundation
Price: 25.49

5.0 out of 5 stars McCloud Swedish Sets S3-4, 5, 6 Subtitle Info, 19 April 2012
I bought the Swedish import sets S3-4, 5, 6 a few days ago and when I recieved them I checked out the subtitle issue. Bottom line first :) : The subtitle display was removable for me with my DVD player.

First, my pov on the picture quality: These prints are very good, comparable to most of my other Universal R1 TV/DVD sets. The Color quality is good. I'd rate these transfers as a solid "A".

I am a U.S. resident with a Pioneer DV-400V standard player that was mfg'ed for U.S. playback but is modified internally for region-free playback capability. I tested the 1st disc from the S3-4 set and as indicated from another reviewer, the subtitle display will be enabled in its default condition. I tried the "subtitle on/off" option from my player's menu setting but I anticipated that this wouldn't remove the subtitle display based on the other review poster's experience. I then experimented with the discs' "Language select" menu and I didn't see an option where I could scroll until a "no language" option was available.

I did some experimenting and I found, on my player, that I needed to access the "Home Menu" (some players refer to this as the "Initial Set-up" menu, etc) and then press the same Home Menu button again to exit the menu. I resumed playback and the subtitle display is disabled. It remains disabled for all episodes on the disc and also will remain disabled when "stop" is pressed once ("resume" mode for most players) and also when "stop" is pressed twice. If the disc is ejected from the player and re-inserted (or first-time insertion for playback), then I need to repeat the same steps to disable the subtitle display.

I did note that it didn't matter which language I selected from the discs's Language Menu, as to the subtitle display being disabled so I always select the first language option which I belive is Danish.

To review:

- Insert the disc. Allow it to play the company logo and display the "language" menu.
- Select any of the four language choices as that will have no effect on the subtitle display being turned off.
- Allow the episode to begin playback. You will see the subtitle displayed.
- Press "Stop" twice. * This may vary depending on your player's operation. For my Pioneer player, I must press "Stop" twice to allow access to the "Home Menu" settings.
- Press "Home Menu" (or perhaps "Setup" Menu depending on how your player's Remote Control buttons are labeled)
- Press "Home Menu" again to exit the "setup" mode.
- Press "Play" to resume playback from it's last play position in the episode.
- Done... enjoy "McCloud"

The English audio track is enabled by default on all 3 of these sets.

McCloud - Season 3 And 4 complete (Region 2) (Import)
McCloud - Season 3 And 4 complete (Region 2) (Import)
Dvd ~ Dennis Weaver

5.0 out of 5 stars McCloud Swedish Sets S3-4, 5, 6 Subtitle Info, 19 April 2012

To review:

- Allow the episode to begin playback. You will see the subtitle displayed.
- Press "Home Menu" again to exit the "setup" mode.
- Press "Play" to resume playback from it's last play position in the episode.
- Done... enjoy "McCloud"

The English audio track is enabled by default on all 3 of these sets.

Happy Days - Season 1 [DVD]
Happy Days - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Henry Winkler
Price: 10.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Days S1 & 2 Music Content Question, 3 May 2008
This review is from: Happy Days - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Hello from the states! I have a question for anyone that owns the Region-2 Season 1 & 2 Happy Days sets. Can anyone confirm that the music content (with the exception of the opening themes) is intact in the S1 & S2 sets as originally broadcast in the 70's? My understanding is that the R1 releases are heavily edited regarding the music soundtracks in the S2 set and, I'm assuming this is also true with the R1 S1 set. It is ironic that, in the states, we often see this problem with TV/DVD sets, and in some cases, we don't yet see releases of other shows at all (Rich Man Poor Man, for one example).

Rich Man, Poor Man: Book Two, Chapters 1-21 (Box Set) [DVD]
Rich Man, Poor Man: Book Two, Chapters 1-21 (Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Strauss
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich Man Poor Man Book 2 Question, 14 Jun 2007
Hello from the states! I own both RMPM sets (thank goodnes for Region-Free DVD Players :) ). We're still waiting for an R1 release for either series.

I have a question about the RMPM Bk 2 set. I'm currently viewing the set but have noticed a defect in one of the "chapters" in the set. I believe it's Chapter 9. When viewing that chapter, I noticed a "blurring" motion during any movement in the entire chapter. I also noticed that the total time for this chapter as compared to all other chapters was different (49 minutes vs the usual 47 minutes for most PAL transfers for an original broadcast 1-hour TV show). Has anyone else noticed this same defect?

Defect aside, I agree with the other review posts. Book 2 is a great view having not seen this show since its original airing in the states back in '77. It's nearly a blind-buy for me since I don't recall most of the storylines but I do remember the ending. No mention here....no "spoilers" allowed :) I remember back in '77 the night before the last episode aired in the states. Peter Strauss was a guest on the "Johnny Carson" late-night show and Johnny tried to get the big secret ending of the show from Peter. RMPM was a ratings hit on ABC with millions tuned in the next night for the big final ending.