Profile for Mr. J. Stuart > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Stuart

Mr. J. Stuart "Fed up with Amazon Associates advertising stupidly cheap prices to get to the top of the results list, then charging postage per item!" (UK)

BB FIRING T90 BATTLE TANK RC TANK
BB FIRING T90 BATTLE TANK RC TANK
Offered by The RC World

1.0 out of 5 stars V. poor quality product & service., 29 April 2014
A great concept, but let down by poor quality: The BB firing is awesome, but...

1) The tracks are made from one piece of rubber (not separate links), which tear apart - fixed with a stapler!

2) The 1200mAh rated NiCad battery was good for about 600mAh and lasted around 15 minutes - I guess it has been stored in a warehouse for along time. So I changed the battery pack for a 2300mAh one with 'Deans' connectors instead of the rubbish Tamiya ones it comes with, then it ran for 45+ minutes :-)

3) Then after using for a few weeks (only indoors on smooth floors) there was a little puff of smoke and that burnt electrical smell and the tank would not operate at all. When turning it on you saw the lights flash momentarily, then nothing. On investigation inside a resistor on the main circuit board has burnt out, probably due to some other component failure.

So I sent the broken tank back to "Gadget Discount" and they refused to help because I had changed the battery connector! I strongly recommend you avoid the "Gadget Discount" seller due to their poor after sales service. Sadly the tank product is not much better.

SP POV Storage Case for GoPro HD HERO 960/1/2/3 Cameras - Yellow - Small
SP POV Storage Case for GoPro HD HERO 960/1/2/3 Cameras - Yellow - Small
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but watch out for your power button., 17 Jun 2013
Overall I think this GoPro case is good - My Hero3 fits well and there is ample space for accessories and it keeps the camera protected when in ruck sacks etc.

However, watch out when putting accessories in the netting 'pouch' in the lid, as they can press down on the GoPro and turn it on when you zip the case closed... As I found out when I opened the case when somewhere last weekend and the GoPro was on and has no battery left :-( I recommend cutting a 1 cm length of e.g. 22mm plumbing pipe to put over the GoPro's power button to prevent it being pressed accidentally (or remove the battery before you put it in this case).

Samsung 64GB Class 10 UHS-1 Grade 1 70MB/s MicroSDXC Pro Memory Card without Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars My GoPro 3 is now go! + warning about SDXC and older card readers., 13 Jun 2013
I recently got a GoPro Hero 3 with a Kingston 32GB "class 10" micro SD card. When recording on e.g. 1080p @ 60fps the GoPro would stop recording after about 50 seconds, but I could record indefinitely at lower resolutions... after much research it turns out that with the higher frame rates/fps you need better than just a "class 10" micro SD card.

The Samsung 64GB Class 10 UHS-1 card arrived today: Put in the GoPro, formatted it (in the GoPro) and immediately I was able to record for many minutes with 1080p @ 60fps. I definitely recommend this card if you are having problems with your GoPro, or just need very fast micro SD storage.

WARNING: If this is the first SDXC card you have had then beware, as it may not work in your SDHC memory card reader. I found that I could review recordings on the GoPro (using the LCD backpack), but if I plugged the SDXC microSD card into any of my 3 card readers (Windows 7), the card would appear as drive F:, but when I clicked on it Windows said that it was not formatted! Turns out that I need a card reader that supports SDXC, so that's more £ hey ho!

Also FYI: "An essential difference between SDHC (such as 32GB cards) and SDXC (typical for 64GB and up) is the file system format: SDHC uses a variant of FAT32, and SDXC uses exFAT.".

Whirlpool Jet Chef Microwave Oven with Grill and Crisp Function, 31 Litre, 1000 Watt  - Satina Mist
Whirlpool Jet Chef Microwave Oven with Grill and Crisp Function, 31 Litre, 1000 Watt - Satina Mist

2.0 out of 5 stars 1 Year on, £177 extra later and very dissappointed., 3 Jun 2013
Our previous Whirlpool combi microwave lasted over 10 years. This one went wrong last week - just 20 days outside its 1 year warranty: The microwave magnetron unit has failed :-( Up until now we had been pleased with the performance of the unit.

After several telephone calls to Whirlpool UK over the past few days it is clear that they were unwilling to help with any kind of 'good will' considering that the unit is just 20 days outside warranty. I was told I could pay a £100 engineer call out + parts and when I enquired how much a magnetron would be I was told "about £70"... which is strangely close to the £177 they also quoted for the 'Care Plan' to have an engineer come and fix the unit and then provide another years warranty.

As I have been unable to find magnetrons on Google for this unit (to fix myself) I had to stump up the £177 for the [engineer fix + 1 year additional warranty] 'Care Plan'. Engineer arrived today without any parts (doh!), confirmed it was the magnetron that had failed (which is what I told the customer support person when booking the engineer last week); parts have to come from Italy and they don't have parts in stock there! Looks like our 1 year old microwave will be off-line for an extended period and Whirlpool 'Customer Services' (I use that term lightly) don't care a jot.

Very disappointed, I will be buying Bosch next time :-(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2013 5:36 PM GMT

Neetİ - 3 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH 3x1 Mini Hub Box (3 way input 1 output) 1080p Full HD v1.3b HDMI Switcher
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars Working perfectly with Virgin V+ HD and XBox 360., 11 April 2013
Virgin V+ HD box into Port 1, XBox 360 into Port 2 (Port 3 not in use atm.), output channel connected to the single HDMI socket on our TV: HDMI 'channel' on our TV shows the Virgin V+ HD box normally, but if we turn the Xbox on it switches to that . . . when the Xbox is turned off, it returns to the Virgin V+ HD box - Simples!

Really impressed with this unit: Signal quality appears unaltered, the unit itself it well made and it is so tiny, making it easy to hide in the TV cabinet. A great product for the price :-)

FLASH SUPERSTORE SONY ERICSSON XPERIA MINI PRO ( NOT X10 MINI PRO ) SCREEN PROTECTOR 10-IN-1 PACK with MicroFibre cleaning cloth
Offered by FLASHSUPERSTORE

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective., 4 Jan 2012
Easy to apply (just make sure the screen is spotlessly clean before you do!), appears to be wearing well after several months use and with so many spare covers in the price.

China & Bath Rubber
China & Bath Rubber
Offered by The Plumbers Merchant

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple & effective., 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: China & Bath Rubber (Misc.)
I was a bit sceptical about this, having tried to remove the wife's nail varnish from the bath with normal bath cleaners and it won't budge, even with those 'non scratch' scouring pads (didn't want to risk nail varnish remover on a plastic bath)... But the bath 'rubber' works a treat and requires little pressure or rubbing.

Having cleaned about a dozen marks off of two (plastic) baths (leaving no scratches etc.) the rubber is barely worn, so I doubt I'll ever need to buy another one.

Definitely recommended as an addition to your household cleaning kit :-)

Samsung SM2233RZ 22" 3D Monitor (Gloss Black)
Samsung SM2233RZ 22" 3D Monitor (Gloss Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars Was a great screen, but out of warranty service is poor., 26 Aug 2010
27/1/2013 UPDATE2 - After an afternoon with the monitor and a soldering iron: It was not the capacitors that had failed, but the inverter (on the power board). I picked up a new one (TM-0915) for £16.31 delivered from 'klcdparts' in the US on eBay[...]and the monitor is working again :-)

14/01/2013 UPDATE - Monitor has failed: After being on for about 2 seconds the screen goes black. If you look carefully the LCD is still showing the images on screen, but without the backlight. Research on Google suggests that it may be capacitors or the inverter on the power board (P/N BN44-00182X, model IP-60135A) that has failed (this appears to be a common problem). As the monitor is outside the 2 year warranty, Samsung UK Customer Support sent me on a merry round of phone calls to service companies (Display Services Network and View-tek), but none will sell the power board to me as a consumer. However if I pay shipping + a £57 service charge (on top of the £37 for the power board) they will supply & fit it for me. Yeah, why would I not just go and buy a brand new (higher resolution) screen for the same money?!?

I can purchase the power board from several companies in the US, also from Amazon or eBay traders in the US, but nowhere in the UK. I have decided to buy a capacitor 'repair kit' and the inverter (both from eBay in the US) and will try to repair by hand - I will post back with details if I get it working. Sad that my £ is going outside 'UK Plc' :-(

My previous NEC GX2 screen is still going strong. I guess next time I will think twice about Samsung screens due to their limited lifespan - Amazon review stars reduced to 3.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I'm using this screen for general Windows use & 2D games and thus far think it is great value. Moving from a 4:3 19" high quality NEC GX2 screen, I was not disappointed with the image on the Samsung and the 'space' you get with the 1680 x 1050 resolution makes everything sooo much better (having 2 pages of a MS Word document on screen at the same time, large FOV in games etc.).

I thought I'd post a review as my 4 month old screen developed two 'lazy' pixels (they would go to white, but on a black background one stuck on red and the other bright purple). I called Samsung's UK support number and logged the problem; they called back within a day arranged an on-site (to my home) replacement on a day of my choosing . . . the courier arrived today and I have a brand new screen (you keep your original cables & stand). Sure it'd be better if the original screen had not developed pixel issues, but the warranty support is impressive.

10 AOne Dual Layer Full Face Inkjet Printable DVD+R DL 8.5GB 240 Mins Blank
10 AOne Dual Layer Full Face Inkjet Printable DVD+R DL 8.5GB 240 Mins Blank
Offered by Allbuyer Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and worked fine., 16 Jan 2008
I normally stick with brand names for media, but as these were so cheap I thought I'd give them a try. They burned fine using Nero v6.6.1.5 on Windows XP, writing to a Pioneer DVR-212 at 8x.

I then printed on the discs using a Canon Pixma iP8500, which didn't go quite so well: There was a little ink streaking where a lot of the same colour was printed. I have printed the same picture (family snap) to Verbatim printable discs with the same printer and no streaking. I guess these Aone discs don't hold the ink quite as well, but not a major problem if you don't have big patches of the same colour.