Profile for H. Slinn > Reviews

H. Slinn (Jena, Germany)

Nobel Son [DVD]
Nobel Son [DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit convoluted, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Nobel Son [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this to add to my growing collection of Rickman films. He is, of course, brilliant - snarling, unreasonable, egotistical academic. The main plot with the kidnap is rather bizarre and implausible, but hey, it's a film not a documentary!

The Barchester Chronicles [DVD] [1982]
The Barchester Chronicles [DVD] [1982]
Dvd ~ Nigel Hawthorne

5.0 out of 5 stars An old favourite, 7 Oct 2013
Saw this on TV years ago, before I'd read the books. Having read the books (there are more than covered in this film), I fancied another look - top class series, top class actors, some sadly no longer with us.

Something The Lord Made [DVD]
Something The Lord Made [DVD]
Offered by czech.out

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favourites, 7 Oct 2013
I saw this some years ago when ir came out and then was reminded of it recently and decided to buy it. Still good, still feel outraged at some of the stuff that went on. Both leads utterly excellent telling a compelling story.

Bottle Shock [DVD] [2008]
Bottle Shock [DVD] [2008]

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the wine story less of the love story, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Bottle Shock [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I had thought there would be more of the wine story. The love triangle, which, from the extras on the DVD, was entirely fictitious anyway, got in the way.

Blow Dry [DVD] [2001]
Blow Dry [DVD] [2001]
Offered by MEDIA-MOST-WANTED

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Rickman as curmudgeonly hairdresser, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Blow Dry [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
Great fun - a sort of satire on the 90s fashion for gritty northern films. I loved the Full Monty and this is not as good, but on the plus side it has Alan Rickman, so what's not to like.

Harry Potter - The Complete 8-Film Collection [DVD] [2011]
Harry Potter - The Complete 8-Film Collection [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant..., 4 Nov 2012
.... to be able to watch them all in a frenzy.

What's not to like? Good price, efficient delivery and already watched most of the set twice!

Winnie-the-Pooh: Return to the Hundred Acre Wood (Winnie-the-Pooh - Classic Editions)
by David Benedictus

4.0 out of 5 stars delightful return to childhood, 27 Nov 2010
I really enjoyed these new Pooh stories. The author strikes the exact right tone about 98% of the time, which is remarkable as it can't be easy to pick up nuances of style in such a well known classic without turning into a pastiche. I can see why the stories were given official sanction. The illustrations are fabulous too. I especially loved the story and pictures of the school episode and of the cricket match.

A great buy!

LUPO Ladies Sports Silicone 17cm Digital Watch - BLACK
LUPO Ladies Sports Silicone 17cm Digital Watch - BLACK

1.0 out of 5 stars you get what you pay for, 26 Nov 2010
i saw someone wearing something like this in summer and thought it was rather cute, so I surfed around and found what I thought it was. To be honest, it's pretty much a cheap fashion acessory, so one shouldn't expect too much. But a bit of time-keeping would help even in a cheap watch. It gains about 10 minutes during the day so I have to ask my pupils to keep an eye on the time for me, advising them that my watch is more of a guideline than a timepiece! They laugh and tell me when it's time to stop the class! As the time is not that easy to set anew each day, I've rather given up wearing it except for sport, where a crack on the wrist won't hurt it, or if it does, it doesn't matter.

Lesson learned - don't buy cheap unless you have to.

Frida [DVD] [2003]
Frida [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Salma Hayek
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant film - stands up to repeat viewing, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: Frida [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I saw this film when it first came out, then again a few months ago and decided to buy it after I'd been to see the Frida Kahlo retrospective in Berlin. Each time I see the film I find something else new in it. It is nothing short of brilliant and I recommend it to anyone interested in any of the following Art, Feminism, stories of strong women, strong characters, subaltern-type theory and all that stuff. It ticks all the boxes, and, having seen the retrospective, is very accurately cast and portrayed. Interestingly, it is also a great love story in its own way.

It's A Free World [DVD]
It's A Free World [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kierston Wareing

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Free World - timely comment on social change, 29 Jun 2009
This review is from: It's A Free World [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film in the cinema then decided to buy it to show my students who are learning English and studying Humanities. I find it thought provoking and so did my students. Students abroad all too often receive a picture of the UK as 'red buses or fish and chips' so this film helps to dispel some of those myths, as well as making the students think about what happens in their own countries with immigrant workers. I found the subtitles were essential because of the realism of the filming and dialogue. I would have liked to know for sure before purchase that subtitles were available - and in English, although, to be fair, they usually are.