Profile for Dave Barter > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Konig Universal Computer Lock
Konig Universal Computer Lock

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for Apple computers, 23 Jan. 2016
Does not fit slot at rear of iMac

Call Center Telephone with Headset, Coodio Corded Phone [Call Center] Telephone with Headset and Recording Cable and Tone Dialpad [Office Phone] RJ11 6P2C Telephone Socket - C999
Offered by itech-coodio

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish, cannot be heard by callers, 11 Nov. 2015
Rubbish. Nobody could hear me properly as the headset or something internal was faulty. Hate it so much I binned it rather than send it back.

Extremities Tuff Bags Waterpooof Windproof Over Mittens Black Medium
Extremities Tuff Bags Waterpooof Windproof Over Mittens Black Medium
Offered by Graham Tiso Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Nov. 2015
Amazing over-gloves cannot believe how light they are yet the difference these make when worn on bad days

How Google Works
How Google Works

5.0 out of 5 stars A handbook for innovation, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: How Google Works (Kindle Edition)
Having worked in two startups and two corporates I wished I'd been given this book as a teenager. The reasoning and logic for the way things are done in Google is clear and impossibly hard to fault. This book has snippets that are so obvious yet revelations at the same time. Take the simple statement about ex-employees becoming part of an alumni. Obvious but brilliant.

The advice on recruitment is outstanding, yet again so simple and obvious.

Many directors will read this and think "it could not possibly happen in our company". The good ones will lean back and think "I wonder why?" and then actively try and change things or at least challenge current practise.

Clearly this book has Google spin entwined within. But it is a great tome for challenging the HiPPOs ....

Probably Nothing: A diary of not-your-average nine months
Probably Nothing: A diary of not-your-average nine months
by Matilda Tristram

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncompromising yet hugely entertaining, 23 Aug. 2014
Many people have written about their struggle with cancer but very few have managed to properly elucidate the landscape of emotion that surrounds them. Matilda's book manages to do this amazingly effectively both in the words and the drawings of the author. Not a single punch is pulled throughout the book as Matlida strafes the reader with her honest opinion and emotions. Sometimes I laughed along with her observations, other times I was pushed back into my seat as her perspective challenged my own preconceived view of the cancer sufferer. She not only paints a landscape of a time of life but also neatly snapshots the observations of an urban dweller. Never again will I pass a pi**ed tramp without imagining what he is thinking of me .. and whether he is right. This book was undoubtedly born from adversity but manages to celebrate the individual and their need for emotion. Matilda got off the cancer sufferer stereotype bus at the first stop and walked instead.

PostGIS Cookbook
PostGIS Cookbook
by Paolo Corti

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of great ideas., 13 May 2014
This review is from: PostGIS Cookbook (Paperback)
As an intermediate/expert Postgis user I found this guide full of interesting approaches to a number of problems I'd attempted to tackle myself. For example, extruding geometries into 3D and processing DEM rasters. The level of explanation is perfect for one who already knows their way around Postgis. The Cookbook is also comprehensive and covers almost all aspects of the Postgis capabilities. I would have liked a bit more breadth in the programming chapter which is mainly python based and could have done without the desktop clients/web chapters which don't really cover Postgis capabilities.

All in all a really useful resource for anyone wondering if "Postgis can do that?" the answer is almost always "yes"

Classic Darksite Diving: Cave Diving Sites of Britain and Europe
Classic Darksite Diving: Cave Diving Sites of Britain and Europe
by Martyn Farr

5.0 out of 5 stars I can only dream, 13 May 2014
Many years ago as a wet behind the ears (literally) caver I was in the South Wales Caving Club hut and a friend pointed at this bloke in a wetsuit. "That's Martyn Farr" he said. I'd never heard of him and all around me laughed at my ignorance. Since then I've made it my mission to fill that knowledge gap and was blown away by reading The Darkness Beckons. I've consumed just about every other piece of cave diving literature since including "Classic Darkside Caving". The book has proved inspirational and got me thinking beyond my current UK open water diving experience. It's well written, nicely illustrated and photographed but most importantly, frank. I have no illusions of diving straight into Wookey Hole, but am looking at some proper training and then maybe a few tentative trips into some of Devon's sea caves. Who knows what will happen next. But thanks Martyn for opening my eyes to what is out there.

Great Britain Mountain Biking: The Best Trail Riding in England, Scotland and Wales
by Tom Fenton

5.0 out of 5 stars That's the next year's cycling sorted then, 13 May 2014
Tom and Andy have produced a stunning guide to mountain biking in the UK with beautiful photography, excellent layout and clear/concise route directions. The use of OS mapping makes it simple to transcribe the routes and each location comes complete with a shed load of useful information for the biker intending to take on a ride.

BUT, the guide is much more than this. Tom and Andy's enthusiasm for the rides is there in spades. The photos make you want to get out there. The text is not the usual, dry "go left go right" you can hear the two guides egging you on to complete the loop. I was supposed to spend the next twelve months on my road bike, but it's gathering dust as I thumb through the guide and make plans.

Bin the trail centre rides. Get the maps out and let Tom and Andy show you where the good stuff is really to be found.

Silicone Bike Bicycle Rear Wheel LED Flash Light Red By Buyincoins
Silicone Bike Bicycle Rear Wheel LED Flash Light Red By Buyincoins
Offered by Good-Choice

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 1 Dec. 2013
Arrived broken, the battery contacts had become removed from the main circuit board. This is due to the fact that they are held on with a small blob of solder. I suspect the same would happen over time on the bike with a few solid vibrations. As the old adage say "you get what you pay for". Avoid

Beyond Birkie Fever
Beyond Birkie Fever

5.0 out of 5 stars My first foray into skiing literature, 9 Nov. 2013
I came in contact with Walter through a discussion concerning cycling and found out that he had written a book himself. Out of curiosity I purchased a copy even though I am not a cross country skier but was interested to read into the scene. Walt's book was immediately engaging as he covers the background to the "Birkie" and then takes us into his own personal journey through the race. The book is well written, witty and interesting. I know that as I finished it within a week, drawn back into the text each evening by the easy going style. At the end of the book Walter urges the reader to come and try the Birkie for themselves, he returns to the book's title "Birkie Fever" and lays out his call to action with:-

"I think of the fun involved, the festivities, the traveling
and the joy that exists in no other place than at the finish
line of that magical event as thousands of people come
together and celebrate the fact that they've all done
something silly and magnificent and wonderful."

As a cyclist I wholly identify with these words. I'm not sure that Walt has converted me to a love of cross country skiing, equally I've not added the Birkie to my own personal bucket list....yet. But I have finished the book with a real understanding and empathy with those that return to the event year after year. Walter's own obsession comes through in spades. This is a self published offering and as such contains the odd grammatical and literal flaw. But I ceased to care about those as I remained entrapped in Walter's own excitement around the event. Therefore he gets a good solid five stars for an excellent text that will no doubt inspire many to join the legions of those already infected with the Birkie fever. Maybe, just maybe I'll join them as well one year

Page: 1 | 2 | 3