ARRAY(0xadde2aa4)

Silicone Bike Bicycle Rear Wheel LED Flash Light Red By Buyincoins
Offered by AMA Store -- Ship from HongKong
Price: 1.22

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 1 Dec 2013
Arrived broken, the battery contacts had become removed from the main circuit board. This is due to the fact that they are held on with a small blob of solder. I suspect the same would happen over time on the bike with a few solid vibrations. As the old adage say "you get what you pay for". Avoid

Beyond Birkie Fever
Beyond Birkie Fever
Price: 1.88

5.0 out of 5 stars My first foray into skiing literature, 9 Nov 2013
I came in contact with Walter through a discussion concerning cycling and found out that he had written a book himself. Out of curiosity I purchased a copy even though I am not a cross country skier but was interested to read into the scene. Walt's book was immediately engaging as he covers the background to the "Birkie" and then takes us into his own personal journey through the race. The book is well written, witty and interesting. I know that as I finished it within a week, drawn back into the text each evening by the easy going style. At the end of the book Walter urges the reader to come and try the Birkie for themselves, he returns to the book's title "Birkie Fever" and lays out his call to action with:-

"I think of the fun involved, the festivities, the traveling
and the joy that exists in no other place than at the finish
line of that magical event as thousands of people come
together and celebrate the fact that they've all done
something silly and magnificent and wonderful."

As a cyclist I wholly identify with these words. I'm not sure that Walt has converted me to a love of cross country skiing, equally I've not added the Birkie to my own personal bucket list....yet. But I have finished the book with a real understanding and empathy with those that return to the event year after year. Walter's own obsession comes through in spades. This is a self published offering and as such contains the odd grammatical and literal flaw. But I ceased to care about those as I remained entrapped in Walter's own excitement around the event. Therefore he gets a good solid five stars for an excellent text that will no doubt inspire many to join the legions of those already infected with the Birkie fever. Maybe, just maybe I'll join them as well one year

The Race Against Time
The Race Against Time
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air into pro-cycling biography, 15 Jun 2013
It's been a while since I've been properly engaged into any book concerning pro-cyclists. Recent literature has been littered with drug abuse "cash in" stories or utterly tedious autobiographies, playing to a marketable achievement.

Then along comes "The Race Against Time".

Like both Obree and Boardman, I was nervous on the start line as I browsed to page one. These are two iconic cyclists with huge characters to match, offering real potential for an author to play to the reader's inherent perception as to what they are about to consume. The nerves had gone after the first chapter. Edward has clearly taken pains to offer narrative rather than judgement, his book paints the picture with just the right amount of analysis which left me nodding at the end of each chapter. I already knew the individual stories of Obree and Boardman but had never understood how intertwined they were and the potential affect that each had upon the other. Edward clearly lays this out as the narrative flicks between the two making comparison where required. I may be wrong but I detected a clear affection for both Obree and Boardman within his words. For once I appeared to be reading a book that the writer wanted to write, rather than one that his publisher thought could sell.

The writing style is excellent and accessible, the two stories are compelling and well told without the need for hyperbole. I'd urge anyone with the slightest interest in cycling to purchase this book.

Hellingen: A Road Cyclist's Guide to Belgium's Greatest Cycling Climbs
Hellingen: A Road Cyclist's Guide to Belgium's Greatest Cycling Climbs
by Simon Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will lead me badly astray, 15 May 2013
I had no aspiration to ride in Belgium at all until this little number popped up in my Amazon recommendations. Having bought both of Simon Warren's previous books..how could I resist? But yet again he has created the perfect pocket guide to the gravitational ticklist any cyclist venturing towards Belgium should have. In fact I found this the most readable of his three guides with a decent amount of history thrown in with the climb detail. Simon needs a massive round of applause for taking on this project and us cyclists need to make it all worthwhile by ticking them all off and then waiting with bated breath for his next list (whilst begging for photos of cyclists on the climbs).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2013 8:06 AM BST

Man Walks Into A Pub: A Sociable History of Beer (Fully Updated Second Edition)
Man Walks Into A Pub: A Sociable History of Beer (Fully Updated Second Edition)
by Pete Brown
Price: 6.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, well written and entertaining, 17 Jan 2013
I was given this book as a Christmas present and dived into it in January, typically my month of abstinence. This was a mistake as the author wrote affectionately and passionately concerning beer. I have yet to find a history book that has acted as a proper page turner..until this book landed in my stocking. Every chapter held my interest and the book had just the right amount of flicking around the place to stall any potential for monotony. Pete Brown's writing is accessible and to the point. I enjoyed the humour and passion within the text and even let him get away with his own personal views that occasionally intrude upon the narrative.

In summary, I left this book with an urge to get down my local and support it. It has refuelled my passion for beer in a good way. Well done to Pete for writing such an interesting and informative book, but next time bring the footnotes into the main text!

Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain
Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain
by George Mahood
Price: 9.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic idea fantastically executed, 12 Dec 2012
Every once in a while you come across a book or piece of writing and think "dammit, why didn't I think of that?". Free Country is exactly that book. I was hooked on the concept and adventure from the start and particularly enjoyed the way George just dives in without chapters and chapters of preamble or explanation. The book starts and continues in exactly the vein of the adventure. It's brilliantly light hearted and I was immediately endeared to George willing him and his companion on as they scrounged their way up the country.

I'm the world's most massive fan of Lands End to John O'Groats having ridden it twice. I love hearing of the toil of others as they make they way on what is basically a completely pointless trek. The journey underpins the humanity in all of us, as it has no real purpose and is just there to be done. George has executed the perfect pilgrimage by carrying it out with absolutely no resources whatsover and dragging us laughing with him along the way. Although maybe he'd consider a purist approach minus the boxer shorts?

I read "Free Country" in a week filling up my free time with their adventures and finding it difficult restrain from "just one more chapter". I hope George is planning something equally as mad for the near future. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy this book. It's about much more than cycling and needs making into a film. Danny Boyle..are you listening!!

Frankie Boyle Live - The Last Days of Sodom [DVD]
Frankie Boyle Live - The Last Days of Sodom [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frankie Boyle
Price: 6.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 14 Nov 2012
Sadly I speed read the title and was sorely dissappointed not to receive a DVD of an ageing X-factor star replete with whiskers engaging in forty minutes of gradient based horticulture. Luckily one word of the title came to fruition and I am happy with the skin obtrusion which now has pride of place on my mother's sister's sister's son's wooden framework combustion framer.

The Obree Way - the training manual for cyclists by World Champion Graeme Obree
The Obree Way - the training manual for cyclists by World Champion Graeme Obree

4.0 out of 5 stars The first readable training guide, 3 Oct 2012
This is the first cycling training guide that I have actually read cover to cover. The writing style was relaxed and personal, it felt as if Graeme was sat in a chair opposite me offering guidance rather than throwing numbers and wattages my way. The book offers guidance rather than prescription. There are no charts, programmes or session details. Instead Graeme provides a "philosophy" for training covering all elements of the cycling psyche. It's up to you to take his methods and turn them into your own training programme, including modifying your turbo trainer to meet his critical expectations!

The book is readable in its own right as the reader gains an insight into Graeme himself and what makes his legs go round. I've taken a lot of advise from it, but more importantly enjoyed reading the manual as a standalone piece of writing.

The Penal Colony
The Penal Colony
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Read, 29 July 2012
This review is from: The Penal Colony (Kindle Edition)
Oddly I was recommended this book via a cycling forum. I found the author's style immediately engaging and was carried along with the story. It's not the deepest book in the world but it certainly was a pager turner as I felt a decent sense of suspense with the developments and storyline. I'd rate this highly as good holiday reading or something to distract from the tedium of reality. A nice concept executed well, would have liked a better ending hence only four stars

Another 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs: A Road Cyclist's Guide to Britain's Hills
Another 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs: A Road Cyclist's Guide to Britain's Hills
by Simon Warren

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy Successor, 10 May 2012
Simon has the formula exactly right for this series of books. No waffle, just another 100 climbs to tick off. The book is the perfect size with just the right amount of information for each hill.

However, I am particularly gutted that he has released this as I had just managed 60 from the last book and now my quest is made all the harder. The only downside is the pictures, which I think would definitely have benefited from having riders in them. Well done for another great guide, and I expect it won't be the last.

Page: 1 | 2