Profile for R. Willison > Reviews

Content by R. Willison

R. Willison "richwillison" (Essex, UK)

Aenima
Aenima

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 18 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Aenima (Audio CD)
If you haven't heard Tool yet, you must, this is one of the most perfect albums in rock history, every member has extreme talent and yet it's so modestly used. A beautifully sculpted album from beginning to end.

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow
Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Something's not quite right., 18 Feb. 2008
I've been a big fan of 'Coheed and Cambria' since their first recordings, and have enjoyed hearing their new work improve and mature, but there's something not quite right on this album, whether it be the loss of members or the threat of almost splitting up I don't know, but I don't feel that they've taken these things and used them positively. I think the main thing that stands out is how horribly boring the drums are compared to what Coheed can usually produce, Taylor Hawkins' playing is very standard. Chris Pennie is the new drummer and I am wondering if he doesn't change the drums how he can be excited to play after coming from the challenging mathcore band Dillinger Escape Plan. Apart from that, the guitars sound awesome (but a bit more 'classic rock' than usual) and the vocal parts sound as great as always. I'm very much looking forward to what they can produce with their new members on their next album.

Straylight Run
Straylight Run

4.0 out of 5 stars Straylight Run vs. Taking Back Sunday, 18 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Straylight Run (Audio CD)
I actually wanted to give this a 3.5 but thought it unfair to lower the ratings on my opinion. I like this album, but I can't help but feel that it either goes on for too long or that the album doesn't vary enough to keep my interest. If you're a big fan of the feel good indie/rock/pop/punk sound I think that you'll love this. It has a touch of 'Taking Back Sunday' with a hint of 'Dashboard Confessional'. There's been reviews suggesting this album sounds nothing like 'Taking back sunday', if you know the history it's pretty much impossible to not compare the two. If you only love the attack and presence of 'Taking Back Sunday' and expect that in 'Straylight Run' then this album may fall short for you.