Profile for chas.telson1 > Reviews

Cowon Plenue 1 High Resolution 128GB 'World's Finest DAC' Music Player
Cowon Plenue 1 High Resolution 128GB 'World's Finest DAC' Music Player
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cowon Plenue P1 is a wonderful DAP!, 26 Feb. 2015
Bought my Cowon Plenue P1 from Advanced MP3 Players direct (I bought my Colorfly C4 Pro from them 2 years ago). Only had it 2 days but really loving it with my AKG K702/65's which need a bit of power. Both the C4 pro & the Plenue P1 have a 2Vrms output so drive the K702/65's very nicely.
It is a very much more sophisticated DAP compared to the C4 Pro but I have a sound upgrade, a much much better UI, a touchscreen, 4 x the storage (if you buy micro SD cards for both players), a smaller & lighter player.
I don't use tone controls but the Plenue P1 has extensive tone & sound controls for those who need them. I wanted a stand alone DAP capable of driving less efficient full size headphones and that's what the Plenue P1 can do, very well indeed.
I didn't want Wi Fi, a radio or the P1 to be a separate DAC, just to play music beautifully. Personally, I feel the Astell & Kern products are very overpriced so they have never appealed (to me). Some of those who own AK240's (a mere £2,200 in the UK) are saying that the Plenue P1 is just about as good at a 1/3 of the cost.

Contagion
Contagion

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Prog Rock Band, Another Brilliant Album!, 13 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Contagion (Audio CD)
I'm not in the slightest bit embarrassed to say that this my 5th Arena album! Such a wonderful mix of sounds, a more rounded sound than my other favourite prog rock band (Pendragon) and much as I appreciate Nick Barrett's great guitar playing, none of us would probably say he's a great singer! Arena has had great singers over the years. The theatrical style of singing from Paul Manzi and Rob Snowden suits Arena's music so well. John Mitchell's guitar work is supreme with fantastic drumming from Mick Pointer, Clive Nolan is an incredibly talented keyboard player.
Can't wait to see Arena at the Borderline in London on 19 March 2015. I also have the DVD 'Rapture' shot at the same Polish theatre Pendragon used, this DVD is a great showpiece and the interview with Mick Pointer and Clive Nolan is a treat!

Delicate Flame of Desire
Delicate Flame of Desire

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Album from a Very Talented band., 11 Feb. 2015
Just got into Karnataka although I love Mostly Autumn which has featured Heather Findlay & Anne-Marie Helder. Rachel Jones has a fabulous clear voice and it's incredible that Karnataka has attracted several female vocalists of such high calibre. The current female vocalist has a lovely clear voice, can't wait to see Karnataka at the London Assembly Hall on Saturday 9 May 2015.
The band also attracts really great guitarists. I love prog but would say this has prog flavours, as do Mostly Autumn.

Gathering Light
Gathering Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music..........., 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Gathering Light (Audio CD)
As a prog rock fan there is of course plenty to enjoy on this album, the soaring guitar, forceful drumming, solid bass, Lisa's glorious vocals (yes I agree with another reviewer that a bit more of her vocals would have been perfect) and great keyboards.
Amazon is out of stock at present so why not order direct from Karnataka's own website at £11.90 delivered? Ignore the rip-off merchants offering 2nd hand copies at stupid prices!
And I've bought tickets to Karnataka's gig at The London Assembly Room on Saturday 9 May 2015, see you there.

Strictly Come Dancing
Strictly Come Dancing

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Collection of Strictly Songs., 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Strictly Come Dancing (Audio CD)
Gave this CD to the wifey for Christmas and she's certainly enjoying it!

Jack and Jones Men's 5 Pack Calf Socks, Light Grey Melange, One Size
Jack and Jones Men's 5 Pack Calf Socks, Light Grey Melange, One Size

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice range of colours and good value., 2 Jan. 2015
Have no idea if these socks will last but enjoying them at present. Good collection of colours.

Konstsmide Christmas Festive 6100-003 Acrylic LED Indoor Reindeer
Konstsmide Christmas Festive 6100-003 Acrylic LED Indoor Reindeer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Attractive and a Fun Christmas Decoration., 2 Jan. 2015
Great fun for Christmas and a good size, not too large or small.

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC DVD)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PC DVD)
Offered by 101Trading

3.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment..................., 2 Jan. 2015
Perhaps I'm unfairly biased in favour of Wolfie 1 but whilst The New Order is better than the 2nd game, it still isn't imho nearly as good as Return to Castle Wolfenstein which I still enjoy playing even if the graphics are very basic.
I find the 1st game more stylish, the gameplay more fun and original. The New Order is just a bit dull, the mech action I played in the Fear games, I smashed flying drones with my crowbar in Half Life & there was a giant mech dog also in Half Life! It just shows how good Half Life was and how later games tend to rely on gimmicks rather than original gameplay.
It's not a bad game especially at the £13 I paid but not worth £20+, not to me anyway.
I've finished the game now and my views haven't changed. Appreciate that it is based in 1960 so the weapons have to be up to date but I miss the Schmeisser MP40, the Mauser rifle, the Thompson submachine gun and the German MP43/SturmGewehr-44 assault rifle from Wolfie 1 (incidentally few people realise how advanced this assault rifle was, I think it was the only assault rifle used in combat in WW2). In comparison, I found the weapons in Wolfie 3 a bit boring, I wish the game designers had used copies of real army weapons from the 1960 era.
I found the dual assault rifle & dual shotgun modes plain silly, sorry I suppose I was meant to find them fun but didn't. I find using 'real' weapons makes the game easier to connect to and therefore more enjoyable.
And please bring back the elite German female soldiers from Return to Castle Wolfenstein! They were great fun and challenging too. We have 1 female German baddie in this game, why not give her an attractive group of bodyguards?

The World
The World

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Prog Album!, 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The World (Audio CD)
Another fantastic album from the masters of prog rock. My favourite Pendragon era is Not Of This World, The World, The Window Of Life & The Masquerade Overture. Believe is great too & marks the beginning of the change in style that led onto Pure, Passion & the new album 'Men Who Climb Mountains' (which I've just bought).
Going to the London gig tonight, my first Pendragon gig, can't wait.

Men Who Climb Mountains
Men Who Climb Mountains

4.0 out of 5 stars A Different Pendragon Again!, 6 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Men Who Climb Mountains (Audio CD)
I'm going to the 8 November 2014 gig in London so I've been listening to the new album a lot, along with Not Of This World,The Window Of Life, The Masquerade Overture & The World. I also have the fantastic Concerto Maximo DVD.
I love the earlier Pendragon era but life & music evolve and the trick is to try and keep up! Musicians want to develop their musical style, I think we all understand that, some of us who have struggled to love the Passion & Pure albums might not wish it so. This new album is different to all the previous albums, not as enjoyable as the 4 I've listed above but I much prefer it to Pure & Passion. I felt that in Pure & Passion, Pendragon tried, in some parts, to be what they weren't & aren't. They aren't a standard rock band, they are a prog rock band and that's the sound they do best, imho.
After repeated listenings, I have come to enjoy this new album, differences and all, it is sometimes tempting to give up if a new album doesn't gel straight away but I'm glad I didn't.
I don't think I'll love this album as I love the other four Pendragon albums I own but I'm glad I bought it and believe that further listenings will lead to lead to greater appreciation of The Men Who Climb Mountains.
PS:Brilliant gig at the 229 Venue on 8 November 2014, my first Pendragon gig, outstanding live. The two female singers were not a step forward, they looked awkward, were clearly inexperienced and I swear I saw Nick wincing at one point when their singing was quite prominent. Wincing in an amused way, I hasten to add! I was looking forward to hearing Nick & Clive's singing a la Concerto Maximo instead I'm not sure Clive sang at all, perhaps he was spinning his keyboard like a demented top in protest?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10