Profile for Rose > Reviews

Content by Rose

Rose

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Hypothyroidism: The Ultimate Guide to Increased Energy, Lasting Weight Loss and Living Well with Hypothyroidism

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start, 26 Oct 2014
Having just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism I wanted to learn more about the disease and what I can do to help myself.

This book has provided some pointers but it is quite short. I feel I need more. There are some useful links to other sources which I hope will help.

FarmVille 2: Country Escape
FarmVille 2: Country Escape

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and addictive, 26 July 2014
This review is from: FarmVille 2: Country Escape (App)
I really enjoy this game. I could play it for hours. You can play without spending any money but it is designed to get you to invest when you run out of space in your barn. This happens when you are given items that you can't use or sell. They can only be used in part payment to upgrade your barn.
I don't mind this as the game is enjoyable but it is a bit frustrating when there is a special event running with even more items taking up space. The price of the dog is expensive too.

Nigella Summer: Easy Cooking, Easy Eating (Nigella Collection)
Nigella Summer: Easy Cooking, Easy Eating (Nigella Collection)
by Nigella Lawson

4.0 out of 5 stars New title, different cover but it's 'Forever Summer' from 2002, 16 Jun 2014
A few weeks ago I was browsing Amazon and noticed that there was a new Nigella cookbook called 'Summer' due out in June. I'm a Nigella fan so I almost pre-ordered it without waiting to see the contents. I love her recipes, already own 'Forever Summer' and use it a lot. I was excited about getting what I assumed would be another book about summer food.
Thank goodness I didn't pre-order as it turns out to be a reprint of the 2002 book just with different cover & title. Why the publishers have done this is beyond me and like the other 2 who have written reviews, I am very disappointed.
However I don't think it is fair to write a 1 star review for this book, as the others did, because its a good book and if you don't already own it, it's well worth having in your kitchen. Check out the reviews for the 2005 paperback, however don't buy that because its aimed at the US market and doesn't have metric measurements.
All in all a great book, hope there will be a genuine new one soon

The Secret Society® - Hidden Mystery
The Secret Society® - Hidden Mystery

3.0 out of 5 stars A few hiccups, 15 Jun 2014
This game is quite addictive but when you stop and think about it they are just encouraging people to spend money. You can play a while for nothing and then wait or buy more energy and tools to make it easier.
One tool that is supposed to replenish energy, the average weight, doesn't work.
As the game progresses you really need to spend money.

Buddha in Blue Jeans: An Extremely Short Zen Guide to Sitting Quietly and Being Buddha

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet & Simple, 2 May 2014
Brilliant, uncomplicated, the essence of meditation. I loved it.
Good to turn to as a reminder of the benefits of sitting, whether you are on a cushion or not.

Yoga of Eating: Transending Diets & Dogma to Nourish the Natural Self
Yoga of Eating: Transending Diets & Dogma to Nourish the Natural Self
by Charles Eisenstein

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat what you like when you like., 2 April 2014
Use of the word 'Yoga' in the title of this book may attract those who see yoga as a purely physical practice and are looking for a way to lose weight. They will be disappointed because this is not a diet book. For those familiar with the concepts of mindfulness and awareness it will make a lot of sense.
Eisenstein examines our relationship with food and explains how eating mindfully,cultivating better awareness of our bodies needs, can lead to a healthier diet. If you learn to listen to it, your body will tell you when you are really hungry and whether you should eat that piece of cake. What you do eat should nourish you and leave you guilt free.
Every morning I sit at my computer with a coffee and a biscuit. Some mornings I would reach for the biscuit only to find I'd already eaten it. After reading this book, I now either stop and enjoy the biscuit or don't eat it at all. By paying attention to food at mealtimes, I've noticed how bland some food is and I've started to cook with more herbs and spices. When food tastes great it seems much more statisfying and I find myself eating less. So now I can eat what I like when I like and I have lost a little weight.

Sane New World: Taming the Mind
Sane New World: Taming the Mind
by Ruby Wax

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the depressed, 27 Jun 2013
After following the eight week course outlined in Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic worldI was desperate to tell as many people as possible how wonderful Mindfulness is and what an impact it is having on my life. In the same week as I completed the course I discovered that by some wonderful coincidence Ruby had written her own book on the subject. Not only that but it was not some celebrity 'bandwagon' exercise but a serious contribution to the topic, based on her own experiences and her studies at Oxford University with the very professor who designed the course I'd just completed.
Ruby explains, with her characteristic humour, the latest scientific understanding of how the human mind works. She laments the fact that we don't come with a user manual and points out that we instinctively behave as if we were still hunter gatherers - hence all the shopping!
The good news is that we can rewire our brains and don't have to be trapped by our genes or our history. I can vouch for this with my own experiences. It was interesting to read the scientific proof. I would have liked to see an appendix with references for the studies she quotes. The absence of this in my kindle version is the only reason I didn't give the book 5 stars.
It's a shame, although probably inevitable, that those interviewing Ruby about the book want to concentrate on her own history because you don't have to suffer from depression or any other mental illness to benefit from practising Mindfulness. Whilst Ruby explains how it helps her she also provides a comprehensive list of studies and examples that show just how much benefit it can bring to any human being.
I hope many many people will read this book and be inspired to undergo Mindfulness training. If they do the world will be much better for it.

Sick: In The Name Of Being Well, I Made Myself Sick
Sick: In The Name Of Being Well, I Made Myself Sick

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor writing style spoils the content., 29 May 2013
Sick is the story of Laura and her struggle with anorexia written in her own words. Unfortunately reading it is also a bit of a struggle. The writing style is poor and there is a lot of repetition of people's names. The first few chapters could have been condensed into one paragraph. If you manage to get past those the book gets interesting when Laura's problems start and her eating disorder begins. I think the book title is misleading as it suggests that the reason for Laura's anorexia is a struggle to be more healthy. Certainly she receives some bad advice, for example in her school health class which seems to be geared up to preventing obesity and so encourages her obsession with not eating. There are other clues which lead you come up with alternative reasons, such as her avoidance of competition and sexuality.
There are few age reference point apart from school grade so if, like me,you have no knowledge of the US school system this adds to the confusion. At one point I thought Laura must be about 12 years old but on the next page she turned out to be 8!
It's hard not to feel sorry for Laura although at times she demonstrates a total lack of empathy with others. As she grows up the list of people she appears to believe have failed her grows ever longer, her family, friends, basketball coach, doctors, therapists and eventually employers. Finally she realises that she will only be 'cured' if she takes control of the solution herself. At this point I was expecting a final chapter or two along the lines of 'I did the following things and these things worked for me (and perhaps these didn't) and now I'm recovering' but the book ends abruptly without answering a number of questions. Did she finish her degree, did she ever get her period, a boyfriend, in hindsight what does she really think caused her illness, what would she have done differently, what advice does she have for other suffers and their families ................?
The last section of the book is a list of resources and suggestions for alternative treatments. Laura clearly wants to help other sufferers. I feel she would have done a better job with this book if she finished it and then allowed someone to edit it properly.

Floral Clear Rubber Stamps - 823665.FLO
Floral Clear Rubber Stamps - 823665.FLO

4.0 out of 5 stars Good selection and good value, 1 April 2013
I have a wide selection of rubber stamps but have never tried this type of clear stamp before. You are supposed to buy a clear block to stick them on however the only review said this didn't work and the seller didn't stock one anyway.
When the stamps arrived I was very pleased with them as they are a good selection for the price.
They peel off a backing sheet which has a picture of the design on it. I suppose you could glue them individually to wooden blocks which is what I have done with rubber stamps in the past. However as the whole point is that you can see where you are placing them, I tried them with various transparent plastic boxes from my kitchen.
They didn't stick to some plastic things at all but eventually I found a small clear plastic box that had originally held some nuts. This works perfectly, the stamps stick like limpets and its easy to use them.
My only fault with the stamps is that, whilst they are easy to use with ink pads they are almost impossible to use with pens. Their transparency makes it difficult to see where to colour. So I will have to stick to my old rubber stamps for multicoloured designs. Otherwise I would have given them 5 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2014 9:38 AM BST

Embossing Heat Gun
Embossing Heat Gun
Offered by The English Stamp Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to use, works a treat, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Embossing Heat Gun
I only received this yesterday and I have already used it to make several birthday cards. I have had a set of rubber stamps and inks for sometime. I've used them to stamp inside cards that I have made up with cross-stitch pictures. I always wanted to try embossing but thought it would be much more complicated. Having tried it now I won't look back. The embossed images add a much more professional touch to my cards than just plain stamping. Would never have imagined that a little bit of powder and some heat could make such a difference.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3