Profile for stephen garbett > Reviews

Xigmatek Asgard ATX Midi Without Power Supply Black
Xigmatek Asgard ATX Midi Without Power Supply Black
Offered by LambdaTek ComponentShop

2.0 out of 5 stars ok case, 6 Jun 2014
Long story short, I used this for a NAS server. Good amount of bays and expansion slots. But the case is just has bad design. It is bearable though!

Critique:

-Expansion slots at the back are really hard to break off. So it comes with a metal sheet across each of the expansion slots that you have to tear off & then replace with an actual metal spare bracket. Weird design. Problem was that the metal was really hard to tear, I hurt my fingers a few times breaking all these bits of metal off.
-Very awkward to access the front case fan, I don't even know if it's possible. Something was catching on mine (i could hear it), and due to the case design I had a hard time trying to flick whatever it was in there out.
-Cable management holes are available, but everything get's completely crushed in the one corner. As my PSU isn't modular, I have to keep all the cables on it. I will have to spend a lot of time properly tightening cable tie's from the cable to the case, as currently, my motherboard side pannel won't fit back on due to all the cable's clumping together.
-I've used all 6 HDD's bays and the very top bay, for some bizarre reason, they've decided to offset it from the 5 bays beneath it. This made plugging in the HDD power and Sata connector very very awkward
-HDD bay's are old fashioned in terms of design. It faces the motherboard as opposed to the back of the case, which leads to worser use of cable management & makes it messy looking.
-Motherboard standoff's were a little off. I had a problem where a few of the standoff's didn't appear to use the correct thread.

Pro's:
-Good Expansion port capacity
-Good quantity HDD bay's
-Fan at front of case

MENS THERMAL T SHIRT SHORT SLEEVED WARM VEST UNDERWEAR WHITE OR CHARCOAL S M L XL XXL (MEDIUM - 38/40", WHITE)
Offered by TEAM SOUTH WEST Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars So warm, 28 May 2014
I love this thermal T-shirt. It never gets cold with it on. As soon as i come home from work i put this on with my housecoat & it's job done. Get some long johns for your legs & you are set for the winter. Honestly, it's really warm!

Plug-In Power and Energy Monitor
Plug-In Power and Energy Monitor
Offered by EnergyMonitorWorld

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, 28 May 2014
I spent like 2 hours testing stuff with this. I love it. Here are some of my outputs:

//Main PC
SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series
1TB Western Digital HDD
3TB Western Digital HDD
3TB Western Digital HDD
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 7870 OC Windforce 3X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter
Mouse - Razer DeathAdder 2013 6400 DPI
Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO AMD Intel Processor Cooler
CPU FANs - 2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1850 RPM
Coolermaster HAF922 Case with 2x 200mm fans
2 x G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24)

Test results when checking the Watts used in different scenarios

computer idle = avg 70Watts, max 95Watts
bf3 = avg 200Watts, max 215Watts
planetary annihilation avg 190Watts, max 201Watts
tf2 = avg 160Watts max 174Watts
tf2 & planetary annihilation avg 190Watts max 199Watts
compressing a large file = avg 130Watts

So turns out this machine could probably get away with a 300Watt PSU pretty easily. Suprised me!
I wonder how efficient the PSU would be if I did actually get a gold 300 Watt PSU. I will buy one and find out!

//Old LCD monitor (Samsung T220 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor)
avg around 41 Watts

//Cisco 3550
turned off 0 Watts
avg around 45 Watts

//Freenas server
turned off around 1.5Watts
avg 120watts, max 141Watts

//Light in attik (Flourescent)
turned off = 0 Watts
turned on = avg 10 Watts

//2 desk pc speakers
off = 3.8Watts
on = 4.8Watts

//Main Monitor (BenQ XL2420T)
off = 0 Watts
on = 30 Watts

//Raspberry Pi
avg 3.5Watts

World of Data® - 5m ADSL Cable - Premium Quality / Gold Plated Contact Pins / High Speed Internet Broadband / Router or Modem to RJ11 Phone Socket or Microfilter / White
Offered by PC Supplies Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, 28 May 2014
Used it to make a longer cable on my DSL router. Works fine & I'm very pleased with it. Thanks

8pcs New Computer Case Thumb Screws Black Size:6# 32X5mm (Black)
8pcs New Computer Case Thumb Screws Black Size:6# 32X5mm (Black)
Offered by Hielec(Ship from China)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine, 28 May 2014
Not what what you can say about a screw. It screws well lol. I used it to screw PCI cards into my PC & also replace missing screws off the side pannels. Happy customer!

Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB RAM, UK Model)
Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB RAM, UK Model)
Offered by elevenfirst

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, 28 May 2014
No problems. Works perfect. Draws 3.5 Watts in case anyone is wondering. Using it for streaming 1080p movies on XBMC on my downstairs TV.

WD Red 3TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM
WD Red 3TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM
Offered by M.T.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 28 May 2014
Ordered 5 over the last year or two & slowly migrated them into a NAS. Although people have had problems with DOA, I've never ever had that problem & they've functioned perfectly. V.pleased!

3m 3 Metre USB 2.0 A to A EXTENSION Cable Lead Wire BLACK Extender Male Female Socket
Offered by Sonali

1.0 out of 5 stars Product is flakey, 27 May 2014
It constantly bugs when you plug it in. You know the noise it makes when it detects you plug in new hardware on windows that "de-duh". Its like it goes out of control. Just a bad connector that's all. It's so cheap I couldn't be bothered to send it back.

Cyntech Case for Raspberry Pi - BerryBlack
Cyntech Case for Raspberry Pi - BerryBlack
Offered by Wishtrac (VAT receipt supplied)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Cheap Case, 12 May 2014
Good case.

Pro's = Stylish, looks good next to my TV. Easy access to SD card (there is no cover behind it)
Cons = SD card sticks out, so looks slightly worse. But I can't knock it, because I've got a few Pi cases where you get a cover over the SD card (looks better), however, you have to unscrew all 4 screws to get at the SD card. I like playing with different images and stuff, so I prefer to not have the cover for ease of access.

Suntory Yamazaki Whisky 12 Year Old 70cl
Suntory Yamazaki Whisky 12 Year Old 70cl

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastey, 28 April 2014
Me and my old man are lovers of whiskey. This is a proper beast. You won't be disappointed with it at all. It's so moreish! Just drink responsibly! :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3