Profile for Alex Aitken > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 30 Aug 2014
This is a wonderful book to read. I found it both humorous, heartbreaking and heart melting. I thought it was written well, and felt that the vocabulary was truly delivered by a 16 year old girl, albeit a pretty smart one. The development of the characters really worked as I began to feel happy, sad and angry when they were. The book isn't very long, and it is an easy read. I did learn from it, which is a bonus when it comes to reading. The only thing that annoyed me was Hazel's negative response to God and heaven, but obviously that's just my own personal opinion, but if I felt that way, I must have cared about the lead character! Yes, I definitely got "into" the book, which I find rare. I highly recommend it.

In The Lonely Hour
In The Lonely Hour

4.0 out of 5 stars You say I'm crazy, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: In The Lonely Hour (Audio CD)
Sam Smith is amazing and the songs are great. The reason why I haven't given it 5 stars is because I expected there to be more upbeat songs, like La La La. There are a lot of warbler songs. Very good ones though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 29 Aug 2014
I absolutely love this. I have a Kindle Fire that I mostly use for internet and films and TV shows and I was using it for reading but it was pretty useless for that. When it is sunny, the light reflexs on the glass screen which is very annoying and it is also pretty heavy.So I decided tp purchase the paperwhite. It's light, compact and easy to control. The backlight is great, as you can change the depth of light depending on the brightness or lack of in a room and I like that the Kindle tells you how far you are in the book. I just love reading from it. I still read physical books, which I love, but the paperwhite is probably more convenient, plus books are a bit cheaper when you get them on the kindle, so you are saving a few pennies.

Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
by Aneeta Patel

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book for beginners, like myself., 29 Aug 2014
I have found this book very useful. I have never knitted before but with the instructions and tips, I'm knitting rather well and really enjoying it. There is advice about the best yarn and needles to use, pictures along with the precise written instructions which helps me at every step. It's a very accessible book. I like that there are projects to go through, so that when one is completed I have the feeling of accomplishment, although I think I'll give the knitted ties a miss. My chunky scarf is coming along nicely and overall I am finding knitting really relaxing and enjoyable.

Life Of Pi
Life Of Pi

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Life Of Pi (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this story and even though I had a break from reading it (as I was very busy) I quickly got back into it. The story of strength and courage and adventure really engaged me throughout. The protagonist is very like-able as is the antagonist. I became so deeply engrossed in Pi' s journey in crossing the Pacific that I just couldn't tear myself away. There are tragedies, but within these tragedies there is a sense of optimism that I will take away with me. Although I enjoyed the first part of the book when Pi talks about the zoo, I did think it was a little too stretched out. This book really does get you thinking: do you really have to see something to believe it? And to believe in the impossibilities because you just never know for certain that they are impossible...

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 Feb 2014
I could not put this book down. I real page turner, with thrilling, dark and violent scenes to optimistic, romantic scenes. It really does keep you craving for more.

The Next To Die
The Next To Die

4.0 out of 5 stars Crime thriller with less thrill, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Next To Die (Kindle Edition)
I have read two of O'Brien' s books before and this one wasn't as good, it didn't fulfill my expectations. I expected there to be tension and twists but there weren't many of those. The plot was good, and quite original, though I was disappointed by lack of compassion I felt for the lead characters. Also the bad guy wasn't all that terrifying. I do recommend his other books though.

The Universe versus Alex Woods
The Universe versus Alex Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting book with humour and raw emotion., 26 Aug 2013
I was very much interested in this book as I had seen it's popularity. I wasn't disappointed. I gave this book 5 stars as it is something I really enjoyed. Alex is a naive, kooky teenager who goes through a miserable life at school but a happy and educational one at home. Alex isn't a character I completely liked, as I thought on occasion he was slightly irritating with his fondness to know everything, a bit if a Mr know-it-all. However he is a funny character who has a strong friendship with an elderly man.
The only element I disliked about this book was that there were episodes of scientific jargon about astronomy which, interesting enough, can get a bit carried away, and I did at some points lose interest.
Overall a very well written debut.

The Last Girlfriend on Earth
The Last Girlfriend on Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the funniest book I've read in a long time., 26 Aug 2013
I had begun to read Simon Rich's short stories after reading a very disappointing "humorous" novel. I'm so glad I purchase this book. It made me laugh from beginning to end. The first story is probably the best.
As it is a collection of short stories, this book grabbed my attention for hours, and when you finish one story, you WILL want to begin another.

No-One Ever Has Sex On A Tuesday:  A Very Funny Romantic Novel
No-One Ever Has Sex On A Tuesday: A Very Funny Romantic Novel

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very funny at all, 31 July 2013
I bought this book because of the great reviews and as I was reading it I kept thinking "why is this so great?" Like other reviewers have said you don't really root for any characters. It's not funny and I think it's quite boring. If you want a funny chick lit go for Jenny Colgan!

Page: 1 | 2