Profile for PK > Reviews

Content by PK

PK "ringos_tar" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Beethoven: 5 Concerti pour piano et orchestre (Remastered, Stereo Version)
Beethoven: 5 Concerti pour piano et orchestre (Remastered, Stereo Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ferdinand Leitner, Wilhelm Kempff and the Berliner Philhamoniker at their best?, 15 Mar. 2015
Probably.
The Ferdinand Leitner, Wilhelm Kempff Berliner Philhamoniker contribution to this album may be one of the best ever recordings of Beethoven's Piano Concertos. I bought this as a remastered version of the 1962 recording and must say I have not been disappointed in any way, the recording are full, unblemished and the sound reproduction is first class.
A must buy.

If in doubt have a preview of the mp3, it sounds wonderful through my pc speakers, you should hear it through my sound system!

Wunderbar

Signed: A Listener of Classics.

Brothers in Blood (Roman Legion 13)
Brothers in Blood (Roman Legion 13)
by Simon Scarrow

1.0 out of 5 stars Unlucky for some..........., 6 Mar. 2015
I'll start by saying I am an avid reader, but an author of fiction loosely based on history, no never tried.
So who am I to dare to criticise one who is obviously successful and has a popular following?
Why one of the paying public, that's who!
I read SJA Turney's "The Great Revolt" which I thought was an out and out masterpiece, so that probably coloured my view of Brothers in Blood somewhat, however this has to be said.
The series seems to have lost the golden touch of the earlier novels. I found it particularly difficult after the first few chapters to maintain my enthusiasm and concentration for finishing the book. It became a chore towards the end and very predictable. I could rely on the usual battle scene at the climax, but found it painstaking picturing the event in my minds eye. Later when reflecting on what I thought could be missing, well I liked the dialogue between the two main players, but it seems Marco has become a 'Yes Man' who does not seem to have an Optio to bounce things off and help run his cohort. His character has changed, Cato seems to be the main player now. So after all the longing to return to active service with the legions, which the pair did in Blood Crows, the main two characters now do not seem to revel in it. No training required, well none to talk of anyway, just a fair bit of pontificating by Cato in his position of authority added to not being recognised nor appreciated for his previous efforts. Also I know the Romans held their women in high esteem, but I think some of the interjection by Poppaea were ludicrous given the circumstances and importance of the events we found her in. As if............?? Wasn't Poppaea Nero's pet name for his sister? Nay? Oh and while I'm on that subject, 'Nay' became popular with Marcus Antonius in the HBO miniseries "Rome" set in Julius Caesar's time and was most likely an ad lib by the accomplished actor Mark Purefoy.
Disappointed.
Lacked depth.
No, I bought it, read it and down to the Charity Shop it goes. I normally keep hardbacks of books I like.

BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600
BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much good, 5 Mar. 2015
Not very reliable.

Often conk out and give you nothing. I tried another pairing of the same make, same problem.

I have now splashed out on Devlo stuff which have worked as described in the box so I know it's the BT Powerline stuff that is not much good.

Invest a little more then for reliability.

Apple iPod classic 160GB - Silver - 6th Generation
Apple iPod classic 160GB - Silver - 6th Generation

5.0 out of 5 stars Golden Oldie, (now), 5 Oct. 2014
Love it, don't need anything too technical and this does the job very well when incorporated with my home music system

Back to the 60's (The Greatest Hits)
Back to the 60's (The Greatest Hits)

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the 60's (The Greatest Hits), 5 Oct. 2014
A real blast from the past

Pure Contour i1 Air Airplay Streaming System Docking Speaker Station for All Apple Items - iPad 1 2 3 4 / Ipad Mini / Ipad Air / Iphone 1 2 3 3gs 4 4s 5 5c 5s 6 6Plus / All Ipod Touch / Classic / Nano
Offered by SmartSalesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Off the wall in the kitchen!, 5 Oct. 2014
I cannot fault either the design of the iPod dock/air device dock nor the reproduction of sound from this device.

I do not intend to use the air feature as I needed a dock and speakers for the kitchen for when me and the wife are creating in the kitchen, this fits the bill very well.

Add to that that we can use an Ipod Classic or the more modern Ipod with the small adapter, we are both happy.

Small fiddle to understand the way it worked but once in it's easy.

A very high recommendation for Pure and the item itself.

Well done also to Amazon who fulfilled the order in less than 24hours as usual.

I will update this review in a month or two.

Berghaus Men's Long Cornice II Gore Tex Shell Jacket
Berghaus Men's Long Cornice II Gore Tex Shell Jacket
Price: £140.99 - £220.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fill your boots, 1 Aug. 2014
I have had a number of this style of Berghaus Cornice waterproof jacket over the years and find them very reliable.

I do need to get the next size up, as has been illustrated from a previous reviewer but only if I use a fleece liner, otherwise they fit me just fine with a bit of room.

I have bought two this summer at the knock down Amazon prices and am very pleased to have paid substantially less than half the normal amount I pay for them.

Unstoppable [Blu-ray]
Unstoppable [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most exiting films I have ever watched., 30 July 2014
This review is from: Unstoppable [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
They say one Man's meat is another mans poison.

For me this was one of the most exiting films I have ever watched.

The story line is believable which is good because it is based on a true story, the action relentless once the films establishes a few background plots, the action shots are intense and brilliantly done.

Two of my favourite artists star in it anyway which helped me buy in the first place.

Congratulations to Tony Scott (Director) Denzil Washington, Chris Pine and the stunt men who made this film memorable for me.

Copperhead (The Starbuck Chronicles, Book 2)
Copperhead (The Starbuck Chronicles, Book 2)
by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Nathan Starbuck gets a reprint, 19 July 2014
Nice to see this series of 3 reprinted.

I have always been very disappointed with Bernard Cornwell that he never followed this most excellent series up with further episodes.

Shame.

Battle Flag (The Starbuck Chronicles, Book 3)
Battle Flag (The Starbuck Chronicles, Book 3)
by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Nathan Starbuck gets a reprint, 19 July 2014
Nice to see this series of 3 reprinted.

Shame.