Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Berghaus 4-34043/1B50 Powerstretch Gloves - Black
Berghaus 4-34043/1B50 Powerstretch Gloves - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gloves but beware the size labelling, 12 Sept. 2015
Just got these and they are really nice gloves. The style is not sloppy at all being rather snug which is just what I wanted - I hate sloppy fingers and baggy palms in a glove. This matter of fit is important to this review because I am a shortish man with what I regard as small hands and I took the advice of other reviewers and obtained large/extra large. They are the right fit so please note if you have big hands you are going to need to gauge what you buy really carefully.
All that eabove being said, the quality is clear at a glance and the product is just plain brilliant! Can't wait for winter weather to try them out.

skinChemists Wrinkle Killer Duo Moisturiser 50 ml
skinChemists Wrinkle Killer Duo Moisturiser 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice cream not such a good container, 12 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having somewhat deep and enduring wrinkles I was interested to try this product, but scarcely the moment it came out of the box my wife grabbed it and started using it. This review then is from our combined experiences.
The first thing to say is that a little seems to go a long way; careful application is the order of the day. Second thing to note then is that it is moisturising without being greasy, which as a man I feel is important. I think it looks really unnatural to have moisturiser that sticks out a mile because it leaves a greasy film on your skin.
My wife's sjin seems to glow and to have taken on a much more youthful appearance since suing the cream, an effect with which she is more than happy! Me too!
In regard to wrinkles I giess it really is early days for any great change in long term appearance but it has to be said there seems to be some diminishing of the dreaded skin creases in both my wife and myself.
A minor irritation was that the pump mechanism that dispenses the product broke quite soon after getting the product - second usage, and this left us taking it off and using it straight from the bottle. This is a sign of an apparent attention to detail in my view - nice product cheap container could put some people off given the price of the product.

Freedom to Fail: Heidegger's Anarchy
Freedom to Fail: Heidegger's Anarchy
by Peter Trawny

3.0 out of 5 stars Heidegger still confounds me!, 12 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am unsure whether it is Heidegger's obscurity - for me at least - or the writers style, but after getting this book to help me gain greater insight to the man and his work and in particular the black notebooks, I am still left confused and frustrated. Heidegger has always been challenging at best for me and I really want to understand his thinking but the author although he writes really quite well, does at times employ somewaht awkward sentence structure. Having said that the book is not really for me I would still think that for anyone who has to get to grips with Heidgger, this is as good a title as any out there. My apologies for a review so lacking in any depth!

Philips HD9305/26 Brushed Metal Kettle, 2200 W, 1.5 Litre
Philips HD9305/26 Brushed Metal Kettle, 2200 W, 1.5 Litre

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good kettle, 22 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This kettle is slightly smaller than the average kettle that one might purchase but at 1.5 litres is still big enough for the average family. Being a little less capacious the unit has a smaller profile as it sits on the work surface and therefore can save space in todays modern kitchen environment. Along with being a little smaller the other part of the equation that makes this kettle a particularly proposition is the fact that the wattage (power consumption) is lower as well. This means that one uses less power to boil the kettle but a downside of sorts is that it will take a little longer to actually boil the kettle, and here I am talking around 15 to 30 seconds more than a 3Kw model.
All in all I like this kettle and the hinged lid makes it particularly useful as I am constantly putting the lids down when in a morning stupour only to have to hunt for them before boling the kettle. In my opinion a small family and a person on their own would find this model very attractive and I suspect at this time of year it would be great for kids going off to University as it will meet their hot drinks and pot Noodle obsession - or was that only me!? Further to the previously mentioned benefits the kettle is also empty and low level proofed and will not work without water in, although it will start to heat up before detecting an overheat in its element; nonetheless this alone would be good fro the forgetful younger person as well as those older people who are becoming forgetful - will resist making jokes at my own expense at this point!
Incidentally I have been a bit pedantic in giving four stars as this is only based on the fact that it takes a little longer to boil - churlish on my part I know.

Philips GC2046/20 EasySpeed Steam Iron with 110 g Steam Boost/ Ceramic Soleplate and Safety Auto-Off, 270 ml, 2200 Watt, Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid, yet com[act iron, 10 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This iron is very light in weight, is very powerful and delivers a good head of steam when needed. The ceramic sole plate seems to offer an excellent non-stick surface that delivers plenty of heat as it glides over the surface of the clothes, and yet seems to be quite forgiving if held in one position too long - penalty of ironing whilst watching TV!
The colour, not a consideration for some, is quite a pleasant blue and it blends in woth most decor without being too gaudy.
The variable temperature control works well and yet is not too onerous in the number of choices it offers; some other similar units seem bewildering in their number of choices.
Lastly the compact size of the iron means that it can be stored in a small space and the section where the wire enters the unit has a very adaptable rubber section that bends without causing too much stress to the wire it encases - an advantage in use and in storage, as it is hard to bend it to an angle whereby it would break.

3 Pairs Mens Ultimate Walking Socks By Freshfeel Size 6-11
3 Pairs Mens Ultimate Walking Socks By Freshfeel Size 6-11
Offered by hawaisi

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, and really comfortable, 6 Aug. 2015
These socks were purchased to compliment my new Grisport walking shoes, which being leather, neded I felt something a little more padded in the way of socks. These particular socks attracted me because they have sections in the heel and toes that are adaptable to support the foot and I have always found that this really helps me to feel more comfortable when walking longer distances, and here I mean anything over 6 miles. This is really important for me as I have quite bad arthritis that can cause a lot of discomfrot when walking, but the walking is actually good for helping the arthritis.
So to the socks: they are absolutley brilliant, really comfortable and soft in the right places whilst the supportive elements referred to above are really supportive.
I really cannot reccommend this product highly enough.

Flexable 1500 mg Sustained Release Glucosamine Tablets - Pack of 3
Flexable 1500 mg Sustained Release Glucosamine Tablets - Pack of 3

5.0 out of 5 stars I am living in hope, 6 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review will be incremental as it would be impossible to comment on efficacy as naturally the effect will build up. However there are some immediate things that I will comment on one being talet size and the other being the effect that non-coated Glucosamine had on my system when I took it some years ago. The reason I am trying it again is that I have heard many good reports about the product and the way it seems to have alleviated suffering in thos who have arthritis. I personally have experienced increasingly worse joint pain since I first noticed arthritis developing when I was nineteen years old; it has of course worsened largely due to age. Discomfort has reached a pitch that I am motivated to try Glucosaimine again, and the coating should have some buffering effect against the worst of side effects in causing gastric irritation as experienced before.
First the size, which has been noted by other reviewers, and I must say at first sight they appear of monster size, but funnily enough I found them to be about the same in terms of difficulty of swallowing as the large Ibuprofen tablets that I have had prescribed by the GP for the same condition. There is a trick to this as you need to drink some fluid before putting the tablet in the mouth, and then a good glug of water to get the thing down your throat without misshap. To me it seems worse in prospect than it really is in reality.
Now to the second element: do the tablets irritate my stomach, and here I have some good news; so far no problem. Admittedly it is only a day but nonetheless that is how long it took with the uncoated tablets so I am really hopeful that this will not be a problem from now onwards.
So this review gets four stars as I like the stuff so far, but naturally I might come to love or hate it in a little more time.
Regarding the efficacy I am going to repost a second review after the first month, and at the same time update about any side effects that might have developed. Wish me luck!

Update 31/08/15: The month's trial period is nearly at an end and I can now add some conclusions that take the review from four stars to five stars. Now I think it is importnat to say I am reporting on this product from a personal perspective and cannot guarantee that anyone else would be able to achieve similar results. That being said I have found this to be a fantastic product, my joints having become far less painful over the trial period and joint pain has reduced considerably leaving me far more comfortable for far longer in each day. It has had such dramatic effects that I am going to be able to initially reduce and then hoefully stop taking Ibuprofen. I am so impressed that I have to encourage anyone who has joint problems to give this product a try. Incidentally with other Glucosamine products I have experienced abdominal discomfort, but the coating on the tablet has seemingly eliminated the problem. In summary excellent!!!

The Breath Co Fresh Breath Toothpaste - 75 ml, Mild Mint
The Breath Co Fresh Breath Toothpaste - 75 ml, Mild Mint

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good but oh so pricey so it would have to be!, 3 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing to notice about this toothpaste is that it is low foaming, actually make that no foaming. This in some senses will take a bit of getting used to and of course that means a change in perception as we humans take time to adjust to a new idea, and of course for me as I guess most other people foaming toothpaste is the norm. However I changed from shave foam to shave gel a long time ago and the same thing applies there, virtually no foam, but with persistence a better shave. So what about the taste, well that appears to be quite low level mint with a slightly salty flavour which is somewhat odd on the tasted buds; not entirely unpleasant it has to be said, but then I prefer savoury to sweet things overall. The cleaning is quite impressive as it leaves the teeth squeeky clean without the feel of the bicarbonate touch of some toothpastes; overall pretty good I would say.
The above is after one trial of the toothpaste so I will check it out further as the family get to grips with it, and then I can report whether we cn live with it in terms of buying it at the somewhat exorbitant pricce tag of over £8!

Garnier Ultimate Blends Sleek Restorer Shampoo 400ml
Garnier Ultimate Blends Sleek Restorer Shampoo 400ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well even on older hair, 3 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Arrived yesterday and couldn't wait to try this product out.
First test was the fragrance which is coconut but unlike some coconut products the smell is not overpowering, but rather gentle and fresh.
The liquid is quite thick but easily massaged into wet hair and once I started to lather it, it became clear that this produces a really strong foaming effect. Rinsing as not too overburdensome considering the amount of lather produced.
the effect on the hair is visibly more sheen when compared with a similar product from a large specialist retailer. A very nice result that made my hair visibly shine and very soft. Shame about the poor old grey hair, but no way I am dyeing it so a nice sheen and a good texture are the best I can hope for so on that basis this shampoo really works.

Willful Ignorance: The Mismeasure of Uncertainty
Willful Ignorance: The Mismeasure of Uncertainty
by Herbert I. Weisberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable and a well-considered discussion, 29 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having been rather unwell and currently in a period of convalescence, I came to read this book rather later than anticipated. It was therefore approached as an aid to recovery, a means to guide my thoughts back to my workaday life, but I was to be pleasantly surprised at how thoroughly readable it would prove to be. In this frame of mind I say thank you Dr Weisberg!
Any consideration of areas such as probability and statistics is likely to appeal to quite a niche audience of researchers, mathematicians, or anyone with a predilection for what might be considered dry subject matter. Personally my own interest is that of research in educational and therapeutic contexts, two separate fields of interest both of which are often but not exclusively characterised by qualitative methodologies. It is therefore I think, appropriate, that I should consider the notion of the researcher who is biased by ignorance of facts that do not support their hypotheses. How often have I needed to reconsider my own results in the light of such bias? In obtaining this book I had rather suspected to be presented with a dry tome the reading of which would be something of a self-inflicted punishment for my own transgressions; instead of which I found myself reading a fascinating historical review of that which has led to the contemporary position of probability as being a misleading measure of uncertainty. The notion that statistical methodology has produced much good is beyond contention, but it is also fascinating to read of its perceived limitations presented by one who has, I am aware, made much more use of statistics to reach conclusions than I have myself.
The current debate around evidence based practice, particularly within the field of research in therapeutic contexts, has begun to clarify a little within my own thinking having read this book, and whilst there is much to be worked through before any tentative conclusions are proposed, I feel sure that this has been an excellent stimulus in triggering much of the thinking that must be done.
An excellent book that is highly readable, and far from my initial impressions, exclusively for the researcher, mathematician etc.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20