Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Hull)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus Book 19)
Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus Book 19)

5.0 out of 5 stars Melancholic Retrospective, 21 Oct 2014
The past might feel like ancient history, but no one knows better than Rebus how it has a habit of catching up with you.

When politics and policing mix no stone is left unturned and everyone can be hurt when those in powerful places are looking to score points against their enemies.

Rebus finds himself torn between doing the right thing and protecting old friends. As the bodies start to pile up Rebus must put his trust in Michael Fox, a man who has little respect for Rebus, and whose actions could lead to John's loyalties being tested to the limit.

Rankin on top form showing us once again that there is always another Rebus story to tell and this one was absolutely gripping.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyday Magic, 14 Oct 2014
A lovely and thought provoking novel that made me smile and made me sad in equal measure. When we are children monsters are real and anything is possible. When we're older the monsters become other people and, perhaps, the grim realities of the human condition. This book reflects upon both - beautifully. Like all master wordsmiths Gaiman makes the connection between the story and the reader so effortlessly. He never over complicates the prose.

A book in which impossible things happen, as they do daily in the fervent imagination of a seven year old. Never let the child inside you die. Who's for a game of conkers?

The Search For Ethan
The Search For Ethan
by Robert Cowan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Charming Read, 6 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Search For Ethan (Paperback)
One of the things I enjoy about this fantastic indie publishing era is that you can come across a little gem of a novel like this around every corner. It's not been clinically edited to death, like a fine piece of vinyl there are hisses and crackles but you enjoy it more for those idiosyncrasies than a clipped and cold digital recording.

Searching for Ethan is a charming novel full of warmth, humour and real character. The author, like myself, enjoys adding cultural references of music and film to his work. This is the kind of novel that would make a great film in the vein of Rita, Sue and Bob, Too or Raining Stones. The characters are reminiscent of Roddy Doyle's chancers and layabouts.

It's fair to say there are some very sad moments but a smile is never very far away in this character driven tale. A story of best friends, of love and a coming of age novel. A very enjoyable read that I didn't want to end.

Dark Eden
Dark Eden

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and Thoughtful, 25 Sep 2014
This review is from: Dark Eden (Kindle Edition)
Imagine being stranded light years from Earth. The planet you're on has no natural sunlight, the flora and fauna have evolved to provide their own light. You know that you'll be missed and that someone from earth will come to rescue you, right?
Wrong. This is the setting of this wonderfully thoughtful novel.

The descendants of our stranded space travellers have built up a society based around the idea that earth is coming to their rescue. But after over a hundred and fifty years is that really going to happen? John, a rebel with big ideas of change, knows that it's a stagnant society doomed to ultimate failure unless changes and progress are made. But who will listen to a pubescent troublemaker like John?

Apart from being an intimately recounted sci-fi tale Dark Eden is about rebellion, stagnation and the innate evils caused by the jealousy and pride we all harbour within ourselves.

I read this on my kindle and it felt a tad long winded but I was fascinated by the sociological aspects of their captive little universe. Ultimately, I found that I enjoyed the journey the author took me on. The first person perspective helped the reader to feel the aching sadness of their situation. An open-ended conclusion that could well mean a sequel. I'd say with the right media attention this intelligent novel could well become a classic. Highly recommended.

Elite: Mostly Harmless (Elite: Dangerous)
Elite: Mostly Harmless (Elite: Dangerous)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking Space Opera, 16 Sep 2014
I remember the original Elite, which I played endlessly on my ZX Spectrum, my imagination roaming alongside the vector graphics into far away galaxies. So not only was I delighted to hear of the games latest incarnation, I was intrigued to see there was a whole series of novels set in the Elite universe.

Elite: Mostly Harmless was something of a lighthearted read for me but what an enjoyable novel it was. It reminded me of Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel rat series. There was action and adventure enough to appeal to younger readers and adult humour for older readers. Kate did a great job bringing the setting to life, the characters were well drawn and the plot was pacy, exciting and always interesting. A five star read that will appeal to gamers and sci-fi fans alike. The space opera is reborn.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Surprisingly Good Read, 13 Aug 2014
Like the rest of the world I knew this was a J.K. Rowling novel before I started reading. Whilst not her greatest fan, I’ve enjoyed her Harry Potter novels and adult novel, The Casual Vacancy. She has her critics who can’t understand her success and who bemoan a lack of originality in her work. I’ve often thought some of the comments unfair and she does know how to create an enjoyable page turner of a novel. So I wanted to see how she was going to tackle the crime genre. She didn’t do half bad at all.

As with all of her novels it was a touch over long. She could have shaved off at least a hundred pages. Cormoran Strike is an interesting character with a fantastic name. Two things frustrated me about the novel: Stike’s relationship with his temporary secretary, Robin, has far too much time devoted to it. It felt like they were going to be lovers and, frankly, it was unnecessary and detracted from the plot. My second frustration was Rowling’s occasional lapses into overly descriptive prose, for these brief moments, it didn’t feel like a crime novel at all. Strike’s observations were also, periodically, annoyingly out of character.

Negatives aside she did a decent job overall and it was a fun read, with a satisfactory conclusion. My four stars represent how much I enjoyed the novel overall, the negatives I’ve pointed out were a minor irritation at best. She’s clearly finding her feet in the genre.

The Magical Tragical Life of Edward Jarvis Huggins
The Magical Tragical Life of Edward Jarvis Huggins

5.0 out of 5 stars The Guru Speaks, 25 July 2014
I suspect Stuart Ayris will collect a cult following. A following of those seeking a little more from this brief life that can, at times, be filled with pain and anguish. Ayris gently nudges one towards enlightenment with a soft hand and a kind word. Is he a guru? He’d laugh at the idea and yet I find his novels touch me in a way that is rare in literature.

His writing breaks every conversation in the book, pun intended. He remains playful slipping in poetic lines whenever he damn well pleases and to hell with the hard hearted critic.

I’ve been known to drone on with the books I’ve loved but I feel the need to keep this succinct.
This novel is about cricket and a little boy who seems heaven sent. It is about loss, grief and redemption. It is about friendship, teamwork and the human spirit. Whatever this fabulous novel teaches you enjoy it. That is all. Now go. Read. Be uplifted.

Angel Of Death: A Crime Thriller With a Unique Premise (A Steel City Thriller Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheffield's Rebus?, 24 July 2014
A young woman hell bent on revenge. A detective determined to self-destruct. A sinister cabal of powerful people who will keep their terrible secret, whatever the cost. Angel of Death is an accomplished thriller from author of Blood Guilt, Ben Cheetham. Fans of Rankin's Rebus will almost certainly enjoy this novel, where one of the main characters is a detective who feels so jaded by the job that he just doesn't care for authority any more. Retirement beckons and it's with bitterness that Jim Monahan goes about the job.

Another damaged character is the Angel of the title. A hooker's handle but one she lives up to in a deadly fashion. The chance to do a good deed for a young girl leaves her feeling powerful and alive for the first time in years. She comes to the terrible realisation that she can and must hit back at those that have mistreated her. She becomes the Angel of Death.

Cheetham tackles some big issues, and we are left feeling no small amount of empathy for the main characters as they both tread their separate trails of self-destruction. Trails that we know must at some point cross. The author has a rare talent for story telling and character creating. Expect more steel city thrillers. A gripping read for thriller fans.

Plastic Fantastic (A Konstantin Novella Book 2)
Plastic Fantastic (A Konstantin Novella Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Brit Grit, 9 Jun 2014
Plastic Fantastic is the second novella featuring the mysterious tramp/spy/agent Konstantin. The hapless Russian who features in Nixon's excellent novel The Fix is strong, silent and prone to violent action if you annoy him. A little like my wife. Only joking love.

A dominatrix is in need (not talking about the wife again), now if only she can find a willing patsy to sort out her problems. Another great read from Nixon. Fast on pace, strong on action, big on humour and not a word is wasted. Nixon pulls you along by the lapels from very start. Top Brit Grit from a writer who is going places.

Flare
Flare

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Flare (Kindle Edition)
A read that had an old fashioned feel to it. An enjoyable read, with a well defined sense of tension and clearly drawn interesting characters.

The author isn't breaking down any barriers or innovating but he's a decent story teller and I never felt like putting it down, nor did I consider it predictable. Several plot strands were left open and this reader hopes for a sequel to a great read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20