Profile for DublinTom > Reviews

Visions
Visions
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stunning Second Album, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: Visions (Audio CD)
I am going to try and be as impartial and objective on this review as possible (but I will most likely epically fail as I go along). I am not normally driven to write reviews but having known of this band for a little while, and very much liking their first major effort, Aquarius, I feel I have no choice. Quite simply Visions is a stunning album. The highlights are simply too many to mention, and after my second listen I am continuing to find more, such is the complexity and intricacy of this album. That said I think it is a more accessible album than Aquarius, and to me that is a huge compliment as to make an album that will appeal to die hard fans of the genre as well as the more casual listener shows that all involved are demonstrating an immense talent in both musicianship and song writing. If pushed on a favourite track at this stage it would be 'The Mind's Eye', some of the riffs and guitar work from Charlie Griffiths and Richard Henshall are quite frankly epic. And throughout the album you have some beautiful keys work from Diego and simply one of the best bass and drum/percussion combinations in Tom Maclean and Raymond Hearne that I have heard in a very long time (up there with some of the best, Tool, Dream Theater, you name it). Combine those elements with inspired use of a string and horn section and wonderfully judged and delivered vocals from Ross Jennings and you have an album that will continue to reward you listen after listen. Lastly there has to be a mention on the production and mixing of this album: superb. Listen to this through good headphones or speakers and it will stun you.

I'm looking forward to the third album and a gig in Dublin, hopefully soon.