Profile for John1950 > Reviews

Content by John1950

John1950 "John1950" (Baarn, Holland)

Page: 1 | 2
I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

4.0 out of 5 stars Phew! Quite an exciting read., 8 Oct 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
Well, this is definitely a man book - a high speed, at times gruesome and detail filled thriller. There's absolutely nothing delicate about it and the pace never lets up, right from the first page.

Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You: A Guide to the Universe
Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You: A Guide to the Universe

4.0 out of 5 stars Impress friends and influence people. Lucid quantum theory!, 30 Sep 2014
I must have read umpteen books on quantum physics and relativity over the years. I've always enjoyed the subject but always remained baffled - as I should according to Feynman I believe.
I've also read lots of Marcus Chown's pieces in New Scientist and this little book was just as readable. He was an easy anecdotal style for the non-specialist.
My only complaint is a failing memory these days - or perhaps I shouldn't read in bed. Heavy eyelids don't help the understanding!

Alan Bristow: Helicopter Pioneer: The Autobiography
Alan Bristow: Helicopter Pioneer: The Autobiography

4.0 out of 5 stars Racy, larger than life, a rattling good read, 18 Aug 2014
An easy, interesting read giving a lucid insight to the mind and successes of Alan Bristow. He really was the product of another era when regulations, individuality and a business mind could take one a long way.
Read this for it's shear confidence though I didn't agree with the animal killing.

Exploring Mars: Secrets of the Red Planet
Exploring Mars: Secrets of the Red Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars the dedication and fantastic success of the teams, 25 July 2014
A pleasant series of historical essays relating to Martian exploration, mapping and geography. It was particularly interesting to read a consolidated overview and be able to have a fresh presentation of the trials and tribulations, the dedication and fantastic success of the teams. It brought back decades of memories for me.

The Higgs Boson: Searching for the God Particle
The Higgs Boson: Searching for the God Particle

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for the curious non-physicist, 12 July 2014
An excellent read though I found it heavy going, mainly I suspect because of my failing memory these days.
I'm reading it as we travel around the UK and Europe in our camper so I find it very pleasant to read in the sunshine with a glass of wine.
Thoroughly recommended for the non-specialist wishing to keep up with or refresh general knowledge of sub-atomic physics. No mathematics needed.

Motorcaravan Manual: Choosing, Using and Maintaining Your Motorcaravan
Motorcaravan Manual: Choosing, Using and Maintaining Your Motorcaravan
by John Wickersham

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful and we'll laid out book for both the novice ..., 12 July 2014
A very useful and we'll laid out book for both the novice and the seasoned traveller. Full of excellent advice and ideas. Thoroughly recommended and should always be in the cabin.

Rosewood Yard Accessories Tie-Out Cable, 20 ft
Rosewood Yard Accessories Tie-Out Cable, 20 ft

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind with your dogs, 4 Jun 2014
I needed a couple of these for our two elderly dogs for when we go camping.
They arrived quickly and are well made - steel cable with plastic sheathing. The fitments at either end are good and solid though I found that the spring clip mechanism benefits from a little squirt of WD40 to keep it water resistant.
I'm very pleased with this item - it does it's job and seems well made.

She
She

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a re-visit after half a century, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: She (Kindle Edition)
I first read this when I was about thirteen - half a century ago. I really wanted to read this old classic with new eyes. I had vague memories of really enjoying it and being transported away on an an adventure as only young boys are - or where back then.
So, how was it? Well, I must say I don't think it will be easy reading for modern sensibilities. Back in the '50s it was still possible as a youngster to believe these Victorian adventures for boys. They were written in a time, now long gone of gentlemen, playing the white man, obligations and a world full of 'savages' needing 'civilising'.
I found the writing style heavy going for modern tastes but I also found myself reading with an adult's understanding and found myself questioning and thinking about Haggard's beliefs, observations of society and his views of 'civilised' behaviour.
The story itself, well, I have to admit, it didn't move me like it did last time I read it. It seems to drag on but I put that down to a style in which reading was everything... a time without electric lights, TVs and all the other myriad distractions of modern life. This was written as an adventure for boys when times and outlook were very different.
I'd like to think I'm wrong, but I don't think most readers under 50 will appreciate this book's tyle or content - but DO read it and get a lesson in Victorian assuredness in it's global place and how to prepare young minds for their position within it.

Asus Fonepad ME371MG 7-inch Tablet (Intel Atom Z2420 1.2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, 3G, Camera, Android 4.1)
Offered by Tech32

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, nippy and smooth tablet, 19 July 2013
I read umpteen reviews before buying the Asus Fonepad and now I've had it for a few days, it's marvellous. Such a breath of fresh air after fannying about on a tiny smartphone.
Being Android it simply sync'd with all of my Google set up on both my PC and phone, such a relief!
The screen is smooth in action, videos run perfectly well and it's just great fun and easy to use.
I must get a SIM card for it and test it's phone functioning (probably with a Bluetooth earpiece) and Google Maps navigation the big screen should make SatNavving a pleasure.

Adjustable Looped Eyeglasses Sport Cord - Red
Adjustable Looped Eyeglasses Sport Cord - Red
Offered by i*sunglasses

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived very quickly, 19 July 2013
A simple product and it does it's job perfectly.
Those with active lifestyles will like the adjustment on the cord (joggers and the like) - it's just the job to keep your specs where they should be.
And, they're so cheap it's worth getting more of these in different colours to match your clothes.

Page: 1 | 2