Profile for S M DIX > Reviews

Content by S M DIX

S M DIX

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
9 Days: Sometimes, the farthest point in your world ends up being closer than you imagine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A journey through Apocalypse. Destination?, 15 Aug 2014
This book is a real page turner that has you going on a journey to Galveston, Texas through a post WW3 landscape to get to a ship in time to travel to safety in Iceland. You go on the journey with Ty and his youngest Daughter, Samantha and things don't quite turn out as they thought!
I heartily recommend this book as it's one of the best of the genre I have ever had the pleasure to read!
Buy it! You won't be sorry!

Britain's Cold War Bombers
Britain's Cold War Bombers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent volume on British best!, 13 Aug 2014
This is one of the nicest and complete volumes on British bombers of the Cold War era I have had the pleasure to read.I would say this is a "must have" for any serious fan of British aircraft! I can't wait to read the companion volume on British fighters!

Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure
Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure

5.0 out of 5 stars This American Really Knows Where Swindon Is!, 21 July 2014
I don't know whether Mike has mastered Clam linguini yet,but he certainly got this "worlds funniest novel" thing in his sights!
He even knows where Swindon is!
I must say up front that this is not my usual genre,but I have thoroughly enjoyed every page of this book!
Mr Munz has been inspired by Douglas Adams,Monty Pythonand others,but he very definitely comes across with a brand of madcap and very clever lunacy all of his own! The premise of the Pantheon of classical Gods and muses reappearing to the world after a long absence is not an idea I've seen in print before,and so is new and refreshing to me. His characters are an eclectic bunch with all sorts of faults,foibles,and neurosies. Make no mistake,even Gods have issues! The Monsters are scary,weird and have issues too! Except the Razorwings, they don't have any particular foibles except a liking for balls of wool and tuna. They can probably open the tuna can themselves too!
I'm not going to give away the plot or write spoilers,but I hope the above comments will whet your appetite enough that you read this hilarious book for yourselves.Personally I think Amazon are selling this Kindle edition far too cheap as this kind of book I expect to pay about £5 a pop for, it's THAT good! Read it or you will be plagued with clowns!

FROM THE FIRE - An Epic Novel of the Nuclear Holocaust: (Episodes 1 to 6)
FROM THE FIRE - An Epic Novel of the Nuclear Holocaust: (Episodes 1 to 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you face up to mortality!, 13 July 2014
When I first picked up this book,I expected perhaps an airplane read.
What I actually got was literature! This book will make you face up to the precarious state of being that we enjoy daily and make you realise that it could just as easily be all blown away tomorrow!
It makes you also realise that there's nothing that can be done about changing things unless a hell of a lot of people read it's warning and do something to change the global mindset.
I'm not going to tell you about the actual contents of the story except to say that you won't be sorry you read it and will probably come away with a completely different outlook on the world and your place in it.
It is a very readable tale and this author has produced something life-changing, or at least mind changing if you let it weave it's magic. Highly recommended.Would like to see a parallel story set in New York or London.Over to you, KDK!

The Living Will Envy The Dead
The Living Will Envy The Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 10 July 2014
This book is one of the most thought provoking pieces of modern literature I have read in a long time.
It covers the many aspects of the human condition with all it's virtues and failings during times of great tribulation and the battle to remain decent.It also unflinchingly explores where we might end up if we let our governments,media,and societies continue in the unprincipled ways that are practiced in the real world now.
This is the possible legacy of political correctness and failure to separate religious dogma from good Christian teaching.I would make this book required reading in high schools, and suggest that Hollywood would do us all a great service by making this into a movie or television series.

'Crossing the Rubicon': Map Illustrated (Armageddon's Song Book 5)
'Crossing the Rubicon': Map Illustrated (Armageddon's Song Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars At last! an heir to General Sir John Hackett!, 30 Jun 2014
I have been looking for a book (or books) to compete on the same level as Hackett's World War Three,
And at last the five volumes by Andy have done just that! I've have just spent two weeks of late night reading of this magnificent series,and been dying to know what's going to befall the main characters next! (But don't get too attached to some of them,because inevitably many die, quick and violent!) Andy obviously loves writing about his subject,and it shows,he doesn't get too bogged down in the technicality of military hardware (except if for the purpose of narrative) and goes more into the lives of his characters, and in doing so,makes you care about them.
This is what a good thriller writer should do for his readers! Thanks Andy for entertaining me so well!
By the way, film makers take note: you should beat a path to Mr.Farman's door to buy the film rights,and make a bloody good job of it! I can't wait for his next book!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2014 1:14 PM BST

The Fall of Night
The Fall of Night

5.0 out of 5 stars A Warning...., 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Fall of Night (Kindle Edition)
If you served in HM Armed forces, this tale will be singing to the choir.
If not,it's a terrifying and hopefully timely call to arms to sensible Brits everywhere!
Of course,you could ignore the message of this book,but then you'd best buy a Russian phrase book too....
This work is also a page turner and a ripping good read to boot!
I recommend it heartily.

Buses and Coaches of Bristol and Eastern Coach Works
Buses and Coaches of Bristol and Eastern Coach Works

5.0 out of 5 stars Bus memories!, 28 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this history of the Bristol/ECW buses, particularly as I live just up the road from Lowestoft,and was a bus mechanic when I left school *ahem* years ago....
I would say this book is an essential 'must own' book for your library....

Under the Wires at Tally Ho: Trams and Trolleybuses of North London 1905-1962
Under the Wires at Tally Ho: Trams and Trolleybuses of North London 1905-1962

2.0 out of 5 stars no photos! disappointed !, 21 April 2014
Whilst the text of this book was very good,I expected it to be illustrated and was very disappointed to find it was not,and this,from a relatively expensive e-book!
Reading the forward, I thought that it was to be illustrated with lavish period photos!
It wasn't !

Trams Around Dewsbury & Wakefield (Transport Through the Ages)
Trams Around Dewsbury & Wakefield (Transport Through the Ages)

5.0 out of 5 stars tram memories, 19 April 2014
This book is a wonderfully engaging and relaxing read and the postcard photos bring the early 20th century to life again.
Highly recommend.