Profile for Mr C > Reviews

Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours
Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours
by Jamie Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and clear, yet produces amazing results, 6 Nov. 2014
I have been using this book for about four years now and have found myself cooking at least 10 recipes regularly. Jamie's style is simple with very clear instructions, he is good at explaining each aspect of cooking in a concise manner so his books are excellent when trying something new. The book contains lots of tricks which can take your cooking to the next level, for example if you are fed up with soggy rice, steam it! The recipes are delicious, yet simple, you will not find huge lists of expensive ingredients here.

Whenever I have cooked something from this book for anyone, I have always received excellent complements and although I now own a lot of cookery books, I have to say that in terms of value, i.e. effort in vs result, this book is by far the best for simple everyday great tasting food. Curries, fish, stews? You name it, its here.

The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD]
The Wire: Complete HBO Season 1-5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dominic West

5.0 out of 5 stars If you loved Breaking Bad then you might not love The Wire..., 9 Mar. 2014
If you loved breaking bad then you might not love The Wire as it is a completely different type of show. BB has very emotional and I would say slightly over the top characters and essentially goes from one emergency to the next, a bit like 24, leaving you constantly wondering how the protagonists are going to get out of this situation etc. It also has a lot of 'cringy' scenes where the main character makes a complete fool of himself in front of his aggressive wife. Personally I found BB too exhausting to watch and as a result gave up a about half way through season two although I still recognise it is a very good show as what it does, it does very well.

The Wire is a very different thing, it is much more realistic and has a lot of depth and complexity and is one of only two shows (the other is Game of Thrones) that was able to make me want to watch it all the way through. The politics are fascinating and the characters are realistic with top class acting. The Wire is the type of show where the drama builds gradually over the course of each season, and there is plenty of it but if all you want is over the top emergencies then it won't be for you, go for BB instead.

The Complete Book of Card Games
The Complete Book of Card Games
by Hervey George

2.0 out of 5 stars Good selection, poor descriptions, 29 Aug. 2011
I bought this book because I was interested in finding some new card games to play with my family and have found it to be somewhat mixed. The games which have been selected are interesting and by grouping the games according to the recommended number of players it makes it easy to select a game to learn.

At this point however the book runs into trouble, it is very difficult to understand the game descriptions and how they work. This is because they are all taken from much older (40 + years in some cases) books and so the language and styles of explanations are very hard to follow. They seem to assume that the reader has a strong technical understanding of the mechanics of card gaming and so it will indicate that this is a `trick' based game and assume you understand what that means you have to do. In addition I suspect a lot of the descriptions have been edited to save space which makes it even harder to follow.

In the end I found myself using the book to find games which were worth playing and using the internet to learn how to play them.

Gustav Klimt: 1862-1918
Gustav Klimt: 1862-1918
by Rachel Barnes

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely beautiful book, 27 Mar. 2010
This book is ideal if you want to be as close to Klimt's work as possible without paying for giant life size giclee prints. The pictures are very large and detailed, with close ups on key areas, it features all the mjor paintings and many of his lessor known works.

There is ample information about the artist and his paintings, however the purpose of this book is to view and experience the work.

Western Digital Elements 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
Western Digital Elements 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed suddenly, as per other reviewers, 25 Jan. 2009
Failed suddenly, as per other reviewers. Beleive there is some issue with power surging. Not accpetable for a modern product. Only 6 months use.

The Lion Handbook to the Bible
The Lion Handbook to the Bible
by David Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for the first time amateur scholar, 25 Nov. 2008
Although raised and confirmed as a Christian, I realised a couple of years ago that I had very little understanding of vast majority of the Bible (besides a few stories and the occasional psalm read in church) and decided to do something about it. What I needed was a guide who could explain the structure and purpose of the books of the old and new testaments and provide me with an (reasonably) unbiased and fair interpretation, mixed with general information about the time. In particular it needed to give me a strong explanation for the many highly immoral actions of characters in the Old Testament historical books, which are often used to criticise Christianity.

I have found that the Lion Handbook has achieved all this marvellously; it has been my constant companion as I have navigated through over half of the scriptures in the past two years. It has enlightened me sufficiently, that I am keen to start a more in depth journey into the Bible with more advanced texts.

I would recommend this to anyone who wishes to deepen their knowledge (particularly in the Old Testament) for personal spiritual reasons. I do not think it would be as useful for deep academic study.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2013 5:30 AM BST

Norton Internet Security 2008 (3 User licence), Upgrade Edition (PC)
Norton Internet Security 2008 (3 User licence), Upgrade Edition (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating for experienced users, 3 Jan. 2008
I moved to this version with the last online update and have so far not experienced any major problems with my PC as such.

However what I have found infuriating is how each year Norton change the software to make it treat the user more and more like an idiot. For example, you used to just right click the icon in your desktop tray to turn off auto-protect, something that is sometimes advisable to do while you install new software as the anti-virus software can sometimes get in the way.

Now you have to find the option to have the tray icon display, and even then when you click it, it pops up yet another menu that asks you how long it should be down for. Do the makers not realise that users are capable of switiching it back on themselves etc.

Another really annoying feature is the Anti-Phising nonsense. This is basically a new gimmick which puts an infuriating bar in your browser which you cannot uninstall. The bar snoops on everything you do and tells you if the website you are on is "safe".

The final issue is with the speed your computer may run at. Norton is a hungry beast when it comes to memmory and processor power. My PC is quite old now, and takes ages to start up.

In future I am going to uninstall Internet Security and simply run just the Anti-Virus, I now plan to use a less demanding firewall like Zone Alarm.

This way, I can live my life how I like and the anti-virus can shut up and just run quietly in the background. As it should.

That said, if you don't know a lot about computers or IT, Norton is probably your best all round bet. Its a shame they don't offer a much more customisable install for more experienced users, who will be annoyed by all the constant warnings and flashing lights.

Manga Double Bill - Ghost in the Shell & Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence [DVD]
Manga Double Bill - Ghost in the Shell & Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mamoru Oshii

4.0 out of 5 stars First film is great but the second I found very slow and boring, 1 Nov. 2007
Not sure I agree with the review below here. I found the animation in the first film to be excellent. The best aspect is the central character the Major.

The second film I found to be very heavy going. The Major does not appear much in it and as a result it lacks anything to maintain ones focus. The other characters were only support characters in the first film and so lack depth. The animation I found to be really disappointing, I am not a big fan of CGI and so was not moved by those sequences.

One thing I found very disappointing was the frame rate, the characters only seem to animated at about 6fps and have little in the way of facial expressions. The CGI sequences are much better, but as I said before. I didn't see anything new in them.

Data Structures and Other Objects Using Java
Data Structures and Other Objects Using Java
by Michael Main

4.0 out of 5 stars If only most compsci books were this clear, 12 Feb. 2004
I bought this book to help me with my Data Structures and Algorythms moduel of my compsci degree. It is very clear and
covered all the topics i have needed so far for that moduel. I have not finnished reading it yet, but am very impressed so far. It is much better than any other books i have seen on the subject, thanks to its clear practicle approach to explaining things.
There are lots of diagrams and careful explanations of the code. It also contains good chapters on recursion and time complexity. Theres a lot information in this book, however unlike some java books, its not so large that you have trouble physically trying to hold it open while typeing out code.
It should be noted however that it assumes a small knowledge of java, as it is concerned with teaching data structures and not the java language itself. I would recommend Ivor Horton's rather large Begginning Java 2 as a compannion.