Profile for Dr. M. Greenhall > Reviews

Content by Dr. M. Greenhall

Dr. M. Greenhall (Manchester, UK)

Katherine Grainger the Autobiography
Katherine Grainger the Autobiography
by Katherine Grainger

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring - this girl can, 25 Jun. 2015
Many of the bios of sports people show that people are too focussed on the goal to enjoy the journey. It was delightful to read Katherine's story as she had ups and downs but kept going not just for the end goal but to enjoy her time as an athlete and all the opportunities it offered. A lesson in the fact that moment of success happens so fast but the journey there is lasting and we all need to enjoy the moments along the way not just the end point.

Will it Make the Boat Go Faster?: Olympic-winning Strategies for Everyday Success
by Harriet Beveridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read - so useful and insightful., 25 Jun. 2015
Brilliant book. The split between Ben's narrative of the events and Harriet and his commentary on applying the lessons to business and life are well thought through and it works very well. Bought a copy, gave it away to a friend. Regretted giving it away as there was so much to return to and so I bought a second copy which I've just reread. Highly recommend it both from the perspective of understanding gold medal winning and setting goals and being successful in other walks of life.

I Want to Buy Your Product.. Have You Sent Me a Sales Message Yet?
I Want to Buy Your Product.. Have You Sent Me a Sales Message Yet?
by Carol A. E. Bentley

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on writing sales copy that I've got, 11 Oct. 2013
I had a copy of the old version of this (have you sent me a letter yet) and when a friend lent me this new updated version I got my old copy off the shelf. It has to be the book I have with the most corners turned on it, virtually every other page has great nugget of information. I have over 3000 books and I never write in them - but this book is on of the few exceptions in all those books - I use it when I'm writing sales copy and have added my own notes on it. It's even been into the bath with me a few times as well! This new version brings the book right up to date with loads of great stuff about how to write online. Whatever stage you're at you'll find something to help you write great sales letters. The style is so easy and covers things right from the start - you need to know who you're writing for before you set finger to keyboard and then understand the structure of a sales letter. The new version also covers selling electronically so there is a chapter on lead generation, one on emails and another on social media. You will find this the most dogeared book on your shelf if you're serious about getting sales. I have 15 books on writing sales letters and this has to be my favourite (though Bill Glazer's Outrageous advertising is a close second) I'm off to get my own copy now as my friend wants theirs back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2013 11:07 AM BST

61 Ways to Sell More Nonfiction Kindle Books
61 Ways to Sell More Nonfiction Kindle Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on promoting your kindle book, 12 May 2013
This books is full of great advice. Some of it you'll know but the bits you don't will help you so much. In particular for me the one that stood out was Amazon special html to get you listing with bold and bullets. I'd asked Amazon in the past and not got a definitive answer. As a small publisher we're just having a rotation of all our kindle books on the free promotion and this book has helped us to form the strategy. I didn't realise the importance of author pages. If you're publishing on kindle get this book first. You'll be glad you did.

Phrases That Sell: The Ultimate Phrase Finder to Help You Promote Your Products, Services, and Ideas
by Edward W. Werz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - very helpful, 21 Jan. 2013
I think this book is a great tool for creative writing of headlines. I set myself a target of 100 and write as many as I can on my own then I get this book out (and also words that sell by a different author). I usually get to about 60 on my own and then this book just helps trigger a fantastic flow of other ideas. I would definitely recommend it if you are writing sales letters whether for post or online.

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (Virtual Trilogy)
Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (Virtual Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars great finish to the trilogy, really enjoyed it, 31 Mar. 2011
Great finish to the Virtual trilogy by John Joyce. The first two (Virtually Maria (Virtual Trilogy) and A Matter of Time (Virtual Trilogy)) were excellent books. This one completes a wonderful series, one of those books that when you finish it you wish there were more than 3! Maria has to decide between helping Theo and her own survival and the suspense this adds makes a thrilling read. I loved the ending - I won't spoil it for you but for me the ending was just right and completed the series brilliantly. I'd really recommend the whole trilogy, just as well throught out and written as any Michael Crichton book like Timeline.

A Matter of Time (Virtual Trilogy)
A Matter of Time (Virtual Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, couldn't put it down, 31 Mar. 2011
This is the middle book in the virtual trilogy. The first book is Virtually Maria (Virtual Trilogy) and this book picks up shortly afterwards in time. I found this book even better than the first, the plot moves very fast and the interlinks between the events are very nice. Maria starts to become a real virtual person with her own emotions and storyline.
Great book, thoroughly recommend it. Looking forward to the conclusion of the series Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (Virtual Trilogy).

Virtually Maria (Virtual Trilogy)
Virtually Maria (Virtual Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, enjoyed it lots, thank you, 13 Mar. 2011
A friend gave me their copy of this book and I can't wait to get the next two in the trilogy. A Matter of Time (Virtual Trilogy) and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (Virtual Trilogy). I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It reminds me a bit of Michael Crichton (like timeline) and also Ken Follett (like whiteout). The characters are all well introduced and the story line makes you want to keep reading. It appears a bit of a corporate thriller to start with but then various story lines of revenge and love lead to a significant twist that both thriller and sci-fi fans will love. Definitely going to get the others as soon as I can.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2011 4:16 PM GMT

Dyslexia Live it to Know it
Dyslexia Live it to Know it
by Rose Lance

5.0 out of 5 stars A story of bravery and triumph, 6 July 2010
I got this book a week ago and I haven't been able to put it down. Lance tells his own story of living with dyslexia and the impact it has had on his life. He was unable to read or write much more than his name until he was 36. His whole life he'd hidden his problem, even from his best friends, yet he built a successful business and his own house. Dramatic changes to his life meant that he finally decide he had to fix the problem himself, just to be able to do simple things like write cheques. On his own he diagnosed what the issue was with reading and invented his own system to solve it. If you're dyslexic yourself - start at chapter 12 and see how he did it. If you have a dyslexic member of the family buy this book, it will really help you understand how the letters themselves can rotate and become each other and has a simple system to help.
Wonderful book and congratulations to the author. Thank you for sharing your journey.

Developing Your Influencing Skills How to Influence People by Increasing Your Credibility, Trustworthiness and Communication Skills. Lots of Exercises (Skills Training Course)
by Deborah Dalley

5.0 out of 5 stars Editor's thoughts on influencing skills, 23 Feb. 2010
I edit and read lots of books each year, including this one. As the editor I'm usually just looking at the way the book works together and the type layout and not thinking so much about the content. This book I've found unusual in that it has changed the way I think about working with other people. In particular it's the chapter on credibility that I've found most thought provoking. Now when I present ideas to other people I think ahead about what helps make the idea believable to others and what it is about my own background that will help to emphasise why I'm a credible source of this information. This helps me to communicate my ideas in a different way and improves the outcome of the discussions.