Profile for Gatsby > Reviews

Stovax Stove Flue Pipe Thermometer Temperature Gauge
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket
Price: 12.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective., 31 Dec 2013
Simple, effective and important for maintaining your fire in the correct heat range.

The temperature gauge is easy to read and the magnet is very effective (I regularly transfer it between 2 stoves). There's no need to attach it with the wire.

That's all you need to know folks.

Draper 62166 560 g (1.25-Pound) Hand Axe with Steel Shaft
Draper 62166 560 g (1.25-Pound) Hand Axe with Steel Shaft
Offered by Maunders
Price: 9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Hatchet Job, 31 Dec 2013
Very useful for chopping up logs into kindling. I've not used it for anything else but it is sharp, light and well constructed. I've tried several times to cut my thumb off, all to no avail. It's only a matter of time though, with my ineptitude and the axe's gleaming blade it's sure to do the job soon enough.

Planes [DVD]
Planes [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dane Cook
Price: 7.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Plane old terrible, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Planes [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this for my 2 year old who loves Lightning McQueen and aeroplanes. A new film in the mould of Cars about aircraft - what could be better?

What a pity. First there was the disappointment of "Cars 2" and now this. It has none of the charm of Cars, nor any of its humour. It plays like a straight-to-video film which is cashing in on a new Pixar movie. Disney have clearly lost the creative plot. Talking of plots, this is one of the laziest you will see. It's essentially Cars rehashed in its entirety but the characters are less sympathetic. There is nothing new or remotely interesting to see here. Fortunately my little boy isn't too worried about narrative arcs and compelling cinematic characters. And judging by the amount of related merchandise related to the film, nor does Disney. Just the bottom line.

Avoid unless you are 2 or younger.

De Vielle DEF973024 Hot & Cold Fireplace Ash Carrier
De Vielle DEF973024 Hot & Cold Fireplace Ash Carrier
Offered by DeBrett Fires
Price: 32.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleaning Out the Ashtrays, 31 Dec 2013
Does exactly what its designed to do and makes no mess when loading it with ash.

I only use it with cold ash so can't comment on its hot ash capability.

Grampa's Weeder - The most effective, effortless weed puller ever - weed without bending, kneeling, pulling or chemicals
Offered by SK Depots
Price: 26.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of grass roots appeal..., 31 Dec 2013
This is a very good means of removing unsightly weeds from your lawn with very little effort and critically without bending down. In fact I wander around with a beer in my hand whilst doing this - a very gentlemanly way to do the weeding.

Pros:
Very well built.
Gets the majority of weeds out, roots and all.

Cons:
The prongs need to be 2 inches longer to ensure that you remove the deepest roots of particularly awkward weeds. For the majority of weeds though, it does the job very well. This is why I've given it 4 stars rather than 5.

Top Tip - wait until there's been heavy rain and the ground is soft to have the best chance of getting all the weeds up by their roots.

The Last Of Us (PS3)
The Last Of Us (PS3)
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 28(ish) Years Later..., 9 July 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Last Of Us (PS3) (Video Game)
I don't usually review things but this game is so good that it deserves a mention. If you enjoyed the Uncharted or Resident Evil series of games then you will love this. If you enjoyed films such as 28 Days Later and The Dawn of the Dead or the TV series The Walking Dead, you will love this. But the most significant accolade is the emotional depth of the game. You are drawn into the characters from the start by a great voice acting and a well-written and plausible script. Worth every penny you spend on it.

MacBook Pro 13inch 2.4GHz (Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics, SD card slot, up to 10 hour battery life)

5.0 out of 5 stars Save yourself years of futile waiting - buy a MacBook Pro, 23 Jan 2011
Like many others on Amazon, I have procrastinated over switching to Mac. I was concerned that some of the cool freeware that I used routinely would not be available. I was wrong, in fact there seems to be more useful and free software. All the stuff I used on my Windows laptop (VLC, Handbrake, PS3 Media Server) exists for Mac. But regardless of that it's the speed and ease of use that truly impressed me. I no longer have to wait (seconds or minutes) to carry out simple tasks whilst my sluggish computer opens a window. The MacBook Pro is blisteringly fast, easy and intuitive to use, beautifully constructed and aesthetically gorgeous. Do not hesitate or think of the extra expense; it will be worth every single penny.

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Skyhawk A-T Titanium Watch #JY0010-50E
Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Skyhawk A-T Titanium Watch #JY0010-50E

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Pilots' Watch Currently Available., 15 Jun 2008
I have owned this watch for 3 months now and I am very impressed. As a fighter pilot having an accurate time hack is very important to me and the best aspect of this watch is that it receives a radio time hack in the middle of the night every day. You can also manually order the watch to re-hack itself from the radio signal. The ability to receive a time hack in America and Europe (plus the Far East too) is invaluable. The radio reception was strong in Ridgecrest, California and OK in Tucson but was very weak in Las Vegas. I had to go outside to receive the signal so the overnight automatic update did not receive indoors. In the east of the UK the signal is maximum strength.

Other than this, the watch has numerous additional features which make it indispensable.

The slide rule bezel is remarkably useful on the ground, not only for planning missions, but also for currency conversion, long division and percentages. Furthermore on a trail back from the US recently it was extremely useful for calculating fuel burn when the gas was a bit tight. I will definitely not own a work watch without a slide rule bezel again.

The light is bright and the watch hands are also luminous and easy to read in low light. Whilst this is a large watch (I suggest you go and try one on before purchasing), the titanium version is remarkably light. I like its purposeful looks too.

The build quality of the watch is excellent. Whilst it sounds like a small point, the second hand points exactly at each second mark on the dial as it rotates (it really annoys me if the second hand points halfway between them). Furthermore, if the hands are not correctly aligned you can manually adjust them. This is the first watch that I have owned with this functionality and whilst it arrived perfectly aligned, it is indicative of the quality and attention to detail of the manufacturers.

The watch is maintenance free too, as it is powered by an Eco-Drive (effectively a solar panel on the watch face). Mine arrived fully charged and it has remained so over the past 3 months without me having to leave it to charge in direct sunlight. I have simply worn it everyday. Coupled with the automatic radio reception time hack, it means this watch requires no effort from you. All you have to do is wear it - the watch does the rest.

Like everything, there is room for improvement. Whilst I like the watch styling in general, I think that the use of orange in the writing was a little misguided. However, there is an identical Japanese version of this watch in black with white writing so if the colour bothers you I'm sure you could track down that version.

There are 2 smaller clocks which display UTC (very useful) and a pointless 24hr clock - a pilot who doesn't understand the 24hr clock system is going to be hard to find! Given that this is marketed as a pilot's watch it is a ridiculous addition. Making the UTC display bigger would have been a much better design, freeing up space for a dedicated calendar display. The watch can either show an alternative time zone on the LCD display or the date, but not both simultaneously. Additionally another LCD display is used up showing you what your home city is set to. Personally I would have made the UTC clock larger, removed the 24hr clock and added a dedicated date display.

However these points are minor when compared to the quality, styling and overall utility and functionality of the Citizen Skyhawk A-T Titanium. I researched various pilots' watches before buying this, including allegedly dedicated specialist watchmakers. None came close to this watch. As a pilot it offers the near perfect solution to my chronograph requirements and I unreservedly recommend it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2014 9:25 AM GMT