Profile for Mrs. June Francis > Reviews

Holy Listening: Art of Spiritual Direction
Holy Listening: Art of Spiritual Direction
by Margaret Guenther

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read., 10 Aug 2014
I have read other books on Spiritual direction but this was different in that it was written by a woman from a very personal point of view. I learnt from it and will be reading it again.

A Mortal Curiosity (Lizzie Martin 2)
A Mortal Curiosity (Lizzie Martin 2)
by Ann Granger

4.0 out of 5 stars This didn't disappoint, 9 Jan 2014
Having read the first in the Victorian crime series involving Lizzie Martin and Ben Rose, I was looking forward to reading this one. What I liked about it besides their search for the murderer was the change of scene from city to countryside and the way Ann Granger describes the period background. I always like to learn some new historical fact. Lizzie and Ben are suitable substitutes for her Mitchell and Markby from her Cotswold series. Although I guessed from the beginning the way the plot might develop that did not spoil it for me and I look forward to reading the next in the series.
I'd recommend readers like myself who enjoy Jacqueline Winspear and Frances Brody to give Ann Granger's Lizzie and Ben a try.

Colours of Corruption, The
Colours of Corruption, The
by Jacqueline Jacques

5.0 out of 5 stars different to what I usually read but not the least bit disappointing, 19 Jun 2013
A title and cover picture that actually fits and I was warned before beginning to read that the author had 'gone dark'. Her description of period and place really sets the scene and her hero Archie is different to the norm and I liked the two main women as well. There were also some very nasty baddies. I like to read a book where I learn something and this I certain did in Colours of Corruption. Hopefully there will be another book featuring Archie.

Who lie in gaol
Who lie in gaol
by Joan Henry
Edition: Unknown Binding

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 25 Feb 2011
This review is from: Who lie in gaol
I bought this book after discovering the fifties film The Weak and the Wicked was based on it and as a writer I read it for research purposes. I wanted to know from a personal point of view what it was like to be in a women's prison in Britain at the time. I found it delivered just what I wanted. I read it in less than a day because it was so interesting.