ARRAY(0xa69b7060)

Yumi Original Women's Golden Bird 3/4/ Sleeve Dress
Yumi Original Women's Golden Bird 3/4/ Sleeve Dress
Price: 31.50 - 45.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colour, OK fit., 15 Oct 2013
This dress is such a beautiful colour, and the little gold birds are very sweet. The material also feels good quality, and I like the fact the sleeves are more transparent than the rest of the dress.

However, something about it is just not perfect on me. The body of the dress (shoulder to waist) seems too short (I'm an average 5' 6" and wouldn't say I was particularly out of proportion) and the elastic round the sleeves is marginally too tight to be wholly comfortable - I bought a size 12, which is what I am usually in most stores. The dress is also slightly shorter than I feel comfortable with, being well above knee level, so I'd only ever wear with thick tights or leggings.

Overall, because I really like the colour and look of the dress (and I did get compliments when I wore it!), I'm sticking with it even though it isn't going to be a firm favourite.

Fever Cagney Jersey Women's Dress
Fever Cagney Jersey Women's Dress
Price: 19.88 - 44.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this dress!, 15 Oct 2013
I'd never heard of 'Fever' before I bought this dress on promotion in one of Amazon's fashion sales. I was slightly hesitant to buy online as I like to check how clothes fit - I am a size 12 with quite broad shoulders and a bit of a tummy, so not everything fits me so well!

However, I needn't have worried - the fit is perfect and the dress is very flattering - it skims the tummy, yet is fitted at the narrowest part of my waist. It does up with a long zip up the back, so no ungainly struggling to pull it on. The skirt is lined, so it hangs well, and sits on my knee (I am 5' 6"). The colours are also lovely - quite bright, but not unpleasantly so. This has become a fixture in my work wardrobe now and I am so pleased I took a chance on it.

One note - in the picture, the dress seems to have an odd, asymmetric hemline. Mine doesn't have this (thank goodness!) so don't let it put you off!

I Don't Know Why She Bothers: Guilt Free Motherhood For Thoroughly Modern Women
I Don't Know Why She Bothers: Guilt Free Motherhood For Thoroughly Modern Women
by Daisy Waugh
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Aimed at me!, 13 July 2013
As the other review suggests, this book is clearly aimed at a certain type of mum - a middle class one one with a professional job and a hearty dislike of over- parenting, but also a mum who feels the guilt brought on by competitive parenting and the assumption that everyone is doing it better!

So, in that sense, completely aimed at me!

The book covers a lot of ground, from trivial school meetings to Tupperware snack pots, from martyr mothers to nits. A lot of the time it reads like a very entertaining and humorous rant by someone who sounds like she would be a hoot in the pub. Occasionally, it veers off into advice (e.g. items you will buy for your baby that you will not use) and it is here that I thought this was less successful, being so personal to her experience and not mirroring mine (yes, OK, stair gates are unsightly, but when you have steep stairs and stone floors, they're kind of essential...)

Despite the niggles (and the amount of typos in the book is another one), I found lots here to enjoy. I'd recommend this if you want a whirlwind tour through some of the absurdities of parenting and can accept that your tour guide is incredibly opinionated (but very funny). It might even make you feel a bit less guilty about your own (perceived) failures...

Playmobil 5154 Darksters Truck with Flash Cannon
Playmobil 5154 Darksters Truck with Flash Cannon
Offered by Toys Direct Ltd
Price: 21.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to usual Playmobil high standards, 21 April 2013
We have become something of Playmobil experts in this house in the 2 years that my son has been obsessed with it. So I feel absolutely confident in my assertion that this toy is not up to the usual excellent standards that we have come to expect from Playmobil.

I should say first that my son, nearly 5 and not a discerning consumer (if it is Playmobil, it must be good!), loves this toy, especially the bits that light up. The little figures are also good and it does look quite smart. This is why I have given it 3 stars, which is generous, I think.

However, since we bought it, it feels like I have been constantly reassembling the 'doors' to the black pod on the back of the buggy - they fall off a lot and you have to rearrange the contents of the pod to get them to close properly. Normally my son can manage repairs to Playmobil, but he has found this too fiddly. We also had to superglue the seats in to the driver's cabin as they seemed oddly loose - and we've never bad to resort to glue before with any of the many other Playmobil sets that we have. Finally, the pod itself is designed to come off the back of the buggy, which it does just a little too easily (there is only a little clip holding it on, so it constantly seems wobbly).

Overall, I am so disappointed in this - I am used to being impressed with the excellent design features and durability of Playmobil, but this definitely falls short. Although I have a son delighted with it, I will definitely look more closely at future Playmobil sets I buy.

Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England
Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England
by Neil McKenna
Price: 11.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this now!, 11 Feb 2013
This book has certainly been an eye opener, and one that I insist you buy now!

I love all things Victorian, which is what brought me to this book in the first place. However, I was completely unprepared for the utterly fascinating and compelling story of these "He She Ladies" - I literally have not been able to put it down. Neil McKenna has presented Fanny and Stella in such vivid detail that I got caught up in their story from the start, feeling the injustice of the police charges against these two vibrant, humorous and essentially real characters. I also loved that the book gives an insight into the hidden gay society of Victorian London - incredibly interesting and rather bawdy in places!

The book reads very much like a novel - if you're the type that likes their history footnoted and 100% supported with historical documents then this probably isn't for you - characters' thoughts and motivations are voiced in detail throughout in a way that McKenna could surely only have known if he had a hotline to these departed souls! However, I don't think this detracts from this book and mention it only so you are aware.

So, back to my original point - buy this now! This is one purchase you won't regret.

Sylvanian Families Ginger Cat Family
Sylvanian Families Ginger Cat Family
Offered by PPBear
Price: 15.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and delightful toys, as always., 4 Feb 2013
As is usual with Sylvanian Families, the quality of these toys is excellent - they are very tactile to play with, have sweet little clothes that can be swapped around (warning - you will be called upon to do this endlessly as they area bit too fiddly for small fingers) and are good quality, well made little toys.

These have been a hit with small people I have bought them for, two preschool girls. I think the age recommendation of 4+ is a little high - my 2 year old daughter has played with these and loves them. As long as your child is not likely to put them in their mouth (not least because that would ruin the fuzzy "fur" on the animals) then I can't see why these couldn't be used for supervised play with smaller 2-3 year old children

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely shirt...just very small!, 4 Feb 2013
This shirt arrived so quickly and beautifully packaged in a shirt box. The quality of the shirt is excellent - the material is thick and the colours lovely and bright. It also has the benefit of not being too short - I find some shirts are too short and come untucked when I raise my arms.

The shirt is quite fitted to your whole body, so if you are a bit top heavy, have a belly or wide hips or shoulders then you do need to order a size up. I am usually a 10-12 and had to return the size 12 for an exchange because the buttons gaped.

Overall, a lovely shirt but sizing is not generous at all! Buy, but buy big!

Poetic Licence Premiere Black Leather New Womens Ankle Shoes Boots
Poetic Licence Premiere Black Leather New Womens Ankle Shoes Boots

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice shoes....surprisingly comfortable but not perfect, 13 Jan 2013
These shoe boots are very nice - they look smart and are surprisingly comfortable to walk in. I'm not convinced I'd want to wear them if I was on my feet all day, but so far I have been pleased with them and have had quite a few compliments on them.

I'm usually between a size 5 and a size 6 - the size 6 fits fine and I definitely could not have gone down a size.

Just a couple of things make these less than perfect. Firstly, I'm not wholly sure on the opening at the top of the shoe boot having no fastening - depending on the width of your ankles or height of your foot, the ruffly bit might gape a lot. Secondly, the pattern around the platform looks less neat and uniform than in the picture - mine have light bits on, and I'm not sure whether this is a fault or by design! As I said, these are not huge issues, but it means they are not five star shoes!

Twas The Night Before Christmas: Edited By Santa Claus for the Benefit of Children of the 21st Century
Price: 2.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Modernised a little, not destroyed completely!, 18 Nov 2012
As other reviewers say, this is a modernised version to take out things that aren't so celebrated in modern society (smoking in particular). I don't particularly agree with censorship, but also think it would look a bit strange nowadays to have Santa puffing away on a pipe in a children's book... You'll have to decide whether it bothers you!

Censorship aside, this is beautifully illustrated and displays well on my Kindle Fire. It has a lovely, cosy, Christmassy feel and made me feel the first stirrings of anticipation for the festive season! My children (2 and 4) also like the pictures and I think this will become increasingly popular in the run up to Christmas.

The pictures have lots of detail and paint a delightfully nostalgic and idealised view of Christmas - wish it was always like that in my house....!

TeckNet New Amazon Kinde Fire HD 7" Inch Tablet Premium Folio Case Cover and Flip Stand With Built-in Magnet for Auto Sleep/Wake Feature Included Screen Protector and Stylus Pen Purple
Offered by Panoply Furnishings
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and quality - recommended, 2 Nov 2012
I am very impressed with the quality of this Kindle cover. I took my chances on a cheaper cover because I bought the official Amazon one for my previous generation Kindle and thought that, while good, it was expensive for what it is. This one was about seven pounds when I ordered it, and I am very pleased I took the gamble.

The purple is a nice colour and the material feels good quality - the exterior doesn't feel too plasticky at all and the inner is soft, grey felt. It seems to do a good job of protecting the Kindle and I like that the fastening is magnetic so it stays closed (better than my Amazon one, which fastens with elastic). It comes with a pen/stylus in the same colour as the cover and a plastic sheet of screen protector (which works but was a pain to apply).

I think, for the price, this is excellent and I would recommend this wholeheartedly. There are a few niggly things about it that I am not so keen on (the rubber end to the pen designed to act as a stylus didn't stay attached long and I wish the inner cover wasn't so pale as it will look grubby quite quickly), but I can certainly live with them for the price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5