Profile for Rubytuesday > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
God Shaped Hole: A Novel
God Shaped Hole: A Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it - brilliant unputdownable novel, 10 Dec. 2014
loved it - brilliant unputdownable novel, really captures the swooping excitement of a new relationship. will definitely be reccommending this one.

Tangled [DVD]
Tangled [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nathan Greno

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney Classic of the future, 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Tangled [DVD] (DVD)
This has all the hallmarks of a Disney Classic - my 4 year old loved it and watched it religiously for weeks after we bought it for xmas.

Stop What You're Doing and Read...To Your Daughter: I Capture the Castle & The Secret Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Jun. 2014
Classic novels that everyone should read - I loved them both! When my daughter grows up I'll certainly be reading these to her!

Life After Life
Life After Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Life after life after life after life, blah blah..., 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
I quite liked the premise of this book, and after reading reviews comparing it to Audrey Niffenegger's time travellers wife, which was one of my favourite books ever I had to give it a go. I actually think that they're two very different books and the only similarity the fact that both books move around through time.

Ursula's repeated rebirth, and repetition of various section of her life with slight variations makes the point that she is able to alter the course of history, but frankly gets quite boring! Some parts of Ursula's various lives are really quite horrific and there are some extremely graphic descriptions of Ursula's experiences during WW2. All this added up to a rather depressing novel.

The end of the story is also given away at the beginning of the book, which I think was a terrible shame. I found myself waiting for the event described at the start to happen by about halfway through the book, expecting that there would be more embellishment on how Ursula changes the course of global history. There isn't. The event described at the beginning doesn't come until the very end of the book. I might as well have just read the last few pages and been done with it!

All in all a bit disappointing, if you've never read the time travellers wife read that instead, don't bother with this one!

After You'd Gone
After You'd Gone

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one from Maggie O'Farrell, 27 Nov. 2013
This review is from: After You'd Gone (Kindle Edition)
Good book, starts at the end, and works back through the events leading up it. At first the non chronological story threw me a bit but once you get into the book it all starts to join together. I liked the hand that first held mine more, but this is a great read too.

Hand That First Held Mine, The  (Large Print Book)
Hand That First Held Mine, The (Large Print Book)
by Maggie O'Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 27 Nov. 2013
This is a great absorbing read, I couldn't put it down. The two stories work brilliantly until the past eventually catches up with the present, characters are believable and interesting, I'll be reading more by Maggie O'Farrell

Alsuna Wooden Portable Toy Box Airport Playset
Alsuna Wooden Portable Toy Box Airport Playset

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous original toy airport, 2 Sept. 2013
Love this wooden airport - its beautifully made, packs away neatly and is played with a lot in out house, both on its own and with other toys. Only negative is the little plastic connectors that link the pieces together - we've managed not to lose any so far, but could easily be lost and aren't great with a new baby in the house now. Why not just cut the pieces like a jigsaw so theres no plastic connectors to lose?

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
by William Sears

1.0 out of 5 stars What a load of rubbish, 2 Sept. 2013
If you have a baby who won't sleep without rocking/stroking/feeding or whatever other prop, this may seem like the book for you, but in my experience it won't work. This just reinforces the idea that putting your baby down and him/her crying for a minute is some kind of torture and we're damaging them forever by doing it. For my family the lack of sleep we were getting was doing much more damage than a few minutes crying but it took me 13 months to come round to the idea that the only thing that was going to work was putting the baby down and letting him get on with it. He cried for 20 minutes the first night and 10 the second night and has gone straight to sleep and slept through the night ever since. We are so much happier as a family now, and as a wiser second time mum, I'm having a lot more success with my second baby who is sleeping much better than her brother did already and shes only 5 months. My advice - chuck this book in the bin, put your baby to bed, and remember who's in charge - you not your baby! You'll be much happier for it, and your baby won't come to any harm!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 2 Sept. 2013
Bought these when taking my 18 month old to a festival, worked a treat - he would sleep in the buggy with them on and they cut out a lot of the noise. At 3 1/2 he now wears them when I'm doing the hoovering as he hates the noise!

The Snail and the Whale
The Snail and the Whale
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous story, 2 Sept. 2013
My favourite of the Julia Donaldson books, the story of a snail travelling the world with a whale. My son loves all the Julia Donaldson we have read, this is one of the best.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4