Profile for Mr. S. Fell > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. Fell

Mr. S. Fell (Lancashire, England)

A Dark Matter
A Dark Matter
by Peter Straub

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the Worst Books I've Ever Read, 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: A Dark Matter (Paperback)
I got hold of this book after reading a review that placed it amongst the best horrors of 2012. In fact there were a number of official reviews, using words such as "compelling", "chilling" and "masterful".

SPOILER ALERT: It's utter rubbish.

There wasn't a single even remotely shocking or scary moment in the whole novel. In fact, the only shocking thing about it was how bad it was.

I kept waiting for it to improve and something interesting to happen. It didn't. I got to a point where I googled "A Dark Matter" summary so that I could be spared reading the rest. No-one had bothered (I'm not surprised) so I ploughed on.

Basically, some boring paranormal stuff happens in a field in the 1960s. A group of kids experience it, grow old, then describe what they saw. That's pretty much it. Paper thin characters that it is imposible to care about. In fact by the end I wished the narrator and his blind wife would die because I was so sick of them.

Poor, poor effort from a so called "Master of Horror".

The Fall
The Fall
by Guillermo del Toro

1.0 out of 5 stars The Fall - Rubbish., 23 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Fall (Hardcover)
I read "The Strain". It was below average, but had just enough to keep me interested until the end.

"The Fall" is so boring, badly written and unbelievable I gave up half way through.

Seriously, don't bother.

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but flawed, 22 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
Written in the plain english of a fourteen year old girl, the book starts off brilliantly: it evokes nostalgia, warmth, love, pain, grief - and does so without being overly sentimental or trite. The beauty of the world viewed from afar and the emotions of the girl and her family are juxtaposed with the simple, sordid life of the murderer and the need for justice.

At the midway point of the book I had high praise for it, however after this point, and without wishing to ruin it for anyone, it loses momentum, and becomes more and more unbelievable - to the point where the spell poor little Susie had cast over me was broken.

A real shame, but enjoyable all the same.

Special Topics in Calamity Physics
Special Topics in Calamity Physics
by Marisha Pessl

3.0 out of 5 stars Completely misleading cover, 4 Sept. 2008
a) Ignore the title - for all intents and purposes, it is completely irrelevant. I believe Stephen Hawking bought the audiobook and was furious. (Joke)

b) Ignore the Guardian Review extract describing the book as "A page-turning murder mystery...unputdownable."

c) Ignore the cover description which centres the book firmly around "murder" and mystery" and asks "has Blue stumbled upon something so dark, so devious, that her whole world is about to be flipped upside down?"

If you set these expectations aside and try to enjoy the book for what it is rather than what made you buy it, you have a reasonable chance of enjoying it for what it is.

The author is obviously erudite and, whilst talented and in possession of a reasonable plot, far too long is spent building up to the murder/suicide (which occurs on page 335 of 503)by which time I was only reading the book to put myself out of my misery.

Lolita
Lolita
by Vladimir Nabokov

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 11 July 2008
This review is from: Lolita (Paperback)
I have read this book a number of times, and can quite happily pick it up and read a single page purely for the pure majesty of the language.

Martin Amis, son of Kingsley Amis and a stylist like Nabokov, has a true love of this book and desribed it, inter alia, as "pure sensual pleasure". A feat of genius, made more staggering by the fact that it was written in Nabokov's second language.

I challenge anyone with a love of the English language and a heart to read this book and ever forget it.

The Uncertainty Principle
The Uncertainty Principle
by Ruth Brandon

1.0 out of 5 stars Appallingly bad, 10 July 2008
I bought this book for £1.99 in a bargain bookstore in Preston, having been suckered in to do so by the glowing review extracts on the back cover and the desciption of the book's "attempts to get to grips with one of the great philosophical problems of our age: without God, in what or who should we put our trust."

Through gritted teeth I managed to make it to page 87, at which point I threw the book in the bin, then retrieved it so I could physically mutilate it. That's how good a read it was.

Pretentious, tedious - avoid at all costs.