Profile for Philip > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Manga Studio 5 (PC/Mac)
Manga Studio 5 (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Manga Studio 5 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
This program has reinvigorated my interest in drawing. Prior to buying this my only experience with art programs was one course in Photoshop about 15 years ago. I bought this program with a Wacom Bamboo tablet. The two work really well together. The program is quite similar to Photoshop, but it has lots of specific tools that are useful for someone who wants to make comics. The best tool is probably the perspective rulers, which automatically snap your drawn lines to the correct perspective. There are many other useful / cool tools that cut out a lot of the tedious parts of drawing.

If you want to know how to use the program you will have to download the pdfs instructions on the website. There are also plenty of video tutorials to watch on the website as well. There are so many features that it would probably take several months or even years to know everything about the program. However, there is one beginner pdf that takes you through all the basics so you can get started.

Definitely worth buying over Photoshop. It's cheaper and has more useful features for comic / manga creators.

DEATH NOTE BLACK ED TP VOL 01 (C: 1-0-1)
DEATH NOTE BLACK ED TP VOL 01 (C: 1-0-1)
by Tsugumi Ohba

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, 5 May 2014
I watched the anime about 6 months ago and really loved it. I had never read any manga before so I decided on this as my first. I loved it so much I decided to immediately buy the remaining 5 volumes. It has all the pace and style of the anime. The art is so well drawn and the story never gets boring. I was hoping to see some extra plot and character development in the manga, but it is pretty much the same as the anime. Which just goes to show how much of a good job they did on the anime. Definitely worth buying.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2014 4:35 PM BST

PLEMO Bullet 16 Ounce Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Drinking Flask Hydration Bottle Travel Tumbler, Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, 5 May 2014
I have one leg so it can get difficult carrying a mug of coffee without spilling it. This flask solved the problem. It's not too big so I can carry it around my home easily. It holds about two mugs of coffee. The good thing about it is that it's all metal (at least I think it is), so it can't break like a glass insulated flask.

TeckNet® M002 Nano Wireless Mouse,6 Buttons,18 Month Battery Life,2000 DPI 3 Adjustment Levels-Grey
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

3.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, 5 May 2014
It's pretty good for the money. It has a fairly sturdy design. It didn't come with any instructions. At one point it suddenly stopped working. It took me a while to work out that the mouse switches itself off to conserve battery. You have to press that little orange button by the mouse wheel to get it to work again. It had a quick setup time and it works accurately. The only issue is the battery life. It needed a new battery after just 2 months of casual gaming use, which is far off the 18 months it claims to have.

Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in Your Artwork
by David Chelsea

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, 5 May 2014
I don't really like this book. The author has written / drawn it in the same comic book style as the book Understanding Comics, by Scott McCloud. To be fair he does credit McCloud right at the very beginning but I still find the wholesale copying of McClouds style a little difficult to swallow. The book has two characters, one is the author, the other is a character called "Mug". The mug character is clearly supposed to be a representation of the reader. The author gets the material across by having these didactic dialogues with this mug character. The author treats mug like an idiot, which I think is the author's attempt at being funny but it just comes across as patronizing.

The book does have some nice, informative info. However, I think the clarity is a little hit and miss in places. Sometimes I found it quite difficult to understand what the author was talking about. It is worth a buy because it does teach some good stuff, but be prepared to be irritated

Death Note Season I Ryuk 17cm Action Fig. [German Version]
Death Note Season I Ryuk 17cm Action Fig. [German Version]

5.0 out of 5 stars ryuk ryuk, 5 May 2014
I love my Ryuk. I have him sitting on my desk looking at me while I don't do any work. He is laughing at me. I think he will kill me one day. He has a nice quality finish.

Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet
Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet

5.0 out of 5 stars Intuitive, 5 May 2014
This is an excellent bit of kit. I wanted to try making drawings on the computer. I decided on this tablet and the art program Manga Studio 5.0. I wasn't disappointed. I was a little apprehensive at first as I had never used a tablet before. It didn't take long to get used to it. It is very accurate; I haven't experienced any of the jerky-ness that some other reviews have mentioned. It is very light and sturdy as well. I recommend buying it as your first tablet. I feel like I got my monies worth.

Gundam Marker Basic 6 Color Set
Gundam Marker Basic 6 Color Set
Offered by Santa Trading JP

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited use so far, 7 Jan. 2014
I haven't got much use out of these yet. The coloured markers come out quite vibrantly; they are good for covering up gate marks. The tip of the black panel line marker is too thick for precise application. Probably better to just buy one of those 0.02 mm panel line markers if all you want to do is panel lining.

Gundam Wing Mobile Suit OZ-00MS2 Tallgeese II 1/144 Scale Model Kit [Toy]
Gundam Wing Mobile Suit OZ-00MS2 Tallgeese II 1/144 Scale Model Kit [Toy]

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the price, 7 Jan. 2014
It took me about 2 hours to assemble this kit. I didn't realise that you had to partially paint it. The runners are moulded in either white or black, so if you want that blue Tallgeese II look, you will have to paint it. It came with a few stickers, which I personally don't like the look of.

Articulation is nothing special, but I do like the way you can open and close the back thrusters. It also comes with two different heads, so you can make the Tallgeese I if you want. It should be easy to take apart into it's sub-assemblies for when it is time to paint it.

400ml Crystal Clear Matt
400ml Crystal Clear Matt

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice finish, 7 Jan. 2014
I used this to flat coat my Gundam model kits. I made the mistake of laying my model on a plastic shopping bag. After I had finished spaying the model I found that the plastic bag had melted onto the bits of the model that were touching the bag. Bear in mind it is toxic plus it will stink up the whole place. Ideally should be used outside. I used mine on one of my window ledges while wearing a mask. After I had sanded off all the blemishes created by the plastic bag the actual matt finish looked pretty good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3