Profile for Mr. P. R. Lancaster > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. R. Lanc...

Mr. P. R. Lancaster "Paul" (Greater Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal
Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker by MyFitnessPal

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic app for dieting!, 29 Oct. 2012
This app is absolutely great for keeping track of food/calories eaten and present/historical weight. It's amazing that this app is free of charge.

TomTom LIVE Services 12 Months Pre-Paid Subscription Card
TomTom LIVE Services 12 Months Pre-Paid Subscription Card

1.0 out of 5 stars Why is it £20 more expensive on Amazon than from TomTom direct?, 23 Jun. 2009
Just one problem with this item. I wanted to buy through Amazon as I know their customer services is the best around. The only problem is the price - it's £20 more expensive on Amazon than it is on TomTom's own website. I cannot think of a reason for this.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2011 12:28 PM GMT

TomTom GO 540 Satellite Navigation System - LIVE UK & ROI
TomTom GO 540 Satellite Navigation System - LIVE UK & ROI

3.0 out of 5 stars It should be great, but too many initial flaws get in the way., 19 Nov. 2008
I was very excited to take delivery of my new Tomtom 540 Live. On opening it up I found it to be a very good solid feeling device.

I used it for a couple of journeys in the afternoon and the mapping was good, more up to date than previous models and the traffic data seemed to be working though I didn't have any hold ups to test it with.

Anyway that was all fine until I connected it to the PC with the TomTom home software. This is required to update the maps (corrections are made daily), speed cameras or generally to change anything about the device.

The software told me that a newer software and map was available and recomended me to upgrade. So I allowed it to run its process, which was simply me pressing 'OK' and letting it go. Everything seemed to work fine, but in performing this update I effectively broke the Sat Nav on the first day!

This is apparently due to me previously owning a Tomtom and using the same computer before, nothing in the manual tells you this, nothing on the software told me this. It just went about its business corrupting the device.

TomTom support replied after 2 days asking for a large amount of technical information including taking a number of screenshots and attaching them to my reply. At no point did they appologise for the way their software destroyed my device within 1 day, and they expected me to wait another 2 working days for a follow up message (which may or may not solve the problem).

Having purchased from Amazon, I simply sent it back. Amazon's customer service is second to none and a new Tomtom arrived on the same day as the old one was collected by courier.

My new device is now working great having uninstalled the Tomtom software on my PC, however there are some bugs which I have not seen on a Tomtom before.

1) The volume seems to be all over the place. Disabling 'increase volume during high noise' setting helped, but its still not perfect.

2) The voice occasionally stutters - "turn left into ma..n..ch..est..errrrrrr road" quite annoying.

3) You cannot as of yet setup a PIN number, or operate your device from your PC, as they have not created the necessary software file to do this. No mention of this problem in the manual, so if you didn't google search for the problem you would keep trying forever.

4) The HD traffic information is a bit patchy - it doesn't seem to be working properly all the time and suffers from some periods where it doesn't connect at all.

All in all, I think it is a very good device, but it has too many early glitches which should have been fixed before they released it for sale. I think they rushed it out early in time for Christmas.

If I was you I would wait till January and see if these problems have been resolved before making a purchase - oh and buy from Amazon, any problems and they will come and collect it from you whilst delivering a new one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2009 5:45 PM GMT

Thomson Top Up TV - 160GB Freeview Digital TV Recorder
Thomson Top Up TV - 160GB Freeview Digital TV Recorder

1.0 out of 5 stars Just not good enough, 6 Oct. 2008
I'm sorry I really wanted to like this set-top-box but unfortunately it is just not up to scratch.

It started out quite well, and after a relatively quick setup I was up and away. I called TopupTV and got a free 1 month trial - there is no smart card included in the box, they send it out to you.
After waiting a few days for this to arrive, I then began to receive TopupTV downloads.

How useful this feature is comes down to whether or not you like the content being sent. I found this to be worth the £10/month that it actualy costs and continued subscribing.

At first the box had a few problems, crashing about once or twice per week - this required unplugging from the wall and then plugging back in. Also some recordings from time to time failed. This was not a big deal as it was infrequent enough.

However at around the 4 or 5 month mark, the box became suddenly less reliable - a relative of mine also got one and it would seem that 5 months is about the life of this set top box. After this time it began to freeze constantly, recordings failed everyday and it required resetting all the time. It completely ruined the TV viewing experience for me - had been watching the finale of American Idol for 2 hours when the box froze at the moment the winner was revealed! Very frustrating! I wish I could say this was a rare occurence but it was at least once a day.

TopUpTV were no help and I ended up sending the box back to Amazon for a refund.

I must also mention that TopupTV were rude and unproffesional when I tried to leave. They had a months viewing in advance from me (that's how they bill you) but refused to refund it despite me canceling in plenty of time. I successfully claimed the money back through my bank. 2 months after I left I received a phone call from TopupTV informing me that they did not have bank account details for my subscription, when I told the operator I left 2 months ago, he informed me that that was not what it said on his screen and persisted to ask for new payment details.

I ended up having to hang up the phone as he was not listening one bit.

If you are unable to have Sky or Cable, I would advise you to exhaust every other option before choosing TopupTV, including DVD rental. If you want a freeview recorder box without a subscription service, keep looking, this one WILL break- it's only a matter of when!

Bosch T40 TAS4011GB Coffee Maker, Silver
Bosch T40 TAS4011GB Coffee Maker, Silver
Offered by Retail-ABC Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine!, 4 Oct. 2008
Coffee is one of those things that for some reason I cannot do - even instant coffee is beyond me! Seeing my guest's faces as I serve a perfect latte is just hilarious - there's no way I could ever do this without my Tassimo!

This is a great little machine and a big improvement over the old Tassimo machine. This new model machine is more compact and of a higher build quality than the old one. It has a larger 2litre water container which is now much less fiddly than before and can be very quickly removed/refilled with zero effort. You can prepare about 8 drinks before having to fill up the tank.

The hot drink is now prepared immediately with no waiting for the machine to warm up, it now takes 45 seconds from cold to prepare a standard drink - compare this to a kettly boiling which takes about double that time just to heat the water. A second drink can also be prepared immediately after the first without delay.

The quality of drinks is very high, it produces the best at-home hot chocolate that I have ever tasted! This maybe because the hot chocolate is made from syrup rather than the more commonly used powder. The coffee is also great and comes second only to freshly ground coffee - please remember it takes several minutes and a much more expensive machine to prepare coffee from scratch - this machine does an excellent job immitating those machines! I have not tried the tea so can not advise on those flavours.

The T-Discs (pods) themselves vary in price and flavour from brand to brand. Just standard Kenco coffee costs £2.99 (at Asda, Tesco etc) for 16 servings. This prepares a good regular tasting coffee at under 20p per mug. This is the same price for Twining's tea and Suchard's hot chocolate. For something a bit more fancy you can choose latte or cappucino from various brands including Carte Noire, for £2.99 or sometimes £3.49 for 8 servings which works out at 40-50p per cup. These items require 2 discs and so take a little bit longer to prepare.

Overall I would heartily recomend this Tassimo machine to any potential viewers but I must quickly point out a few of the pitfalls.

- You are limited to what coffee/tea/hot chocolate you buy - this is true of other pod coffee machines, but the Tassimo does have a very good selection to choose from.

- The portion size is too small for some people - hot chocolate is only 180ml. Latte/cappucino is 200ml. While most coffees are 300ml.

- Requires some cleaning (but not much)
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2012 12:35 PM GMT

Guitar Hero: On Tour - Guitar Grip Bundle (Nintendo DS)
Guitar Hero: On Tour - Guitar Grip Bundle (Nintendo DS)
Offered by rockaway-records

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite guitar hero PS3, but still pretty damn good!, 5 July 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm sure people will be wondering how they could possibly port over Guitar Hero from the main consoles down to the DS. You may be worrying that this is just a cheap copy missing many of the main ingredients that makes guitar hero so fun, but let me put your mind at ease and tell you that this game is surprisingly good!

The guitar peripheral plugs into the bottom of the DS and brings the four coloured buttons, the usual version has 5 but I'm not really missing the extra one.

The touch screen is used to 'strum' on the strings of the guitar and this is where the game manages to make you feel a little like you are playing a real guitar.

The tracklist is mainly recent songs (less than 10 years old) such as All the Small Things (Blink 182). They have brought over some songs from other Guitar Hero games which makes the experience even more familiar eg Hit Me With Your Best Shot (Pat Benetar) - the tracklist doesn't contain as many songs as the other versions - only 26 songs, but they are mainly original versions (only about 4 or 5 covers) and good quality.

You can play in 'Quickplay', 'Career Mode' or 'Guitar Duel'. Quickplay and Career Mode are the same as in all previous versions of the game.
'Guitar Duel' is brought over from Guitar Hero 3 and is the 2 player version which must be played locally (not online), they have added some unique features to this DS version. Whilst GH3 duels required you to press certain keys on the guitar to fend off 'attacks' - the DS uses its touch screen to create a much more fun (and sometimes more challenging) experience.

The attacks that someone may inflict on you are very creative and include:-
'autograph' - where a fan demands an autograph, you have to quickly scribble down your name before you can continue playing.
'fire' - where your guitar sets on fire, you blow out this fire literally by blowing at the screen (picked up by the microphone)
'flip screen' where the 2 screens swap places, which disorientates you a little, making you likely to miss a few notes

Overall I can't imagine them having done a better job with a first version. Maybe if they release a sequel, they may consider online play but this is a small criticism for what I consider an excellent game!

BD&A Nintendo Licensed Sling Bag (Wii)
BD&A Nintendo Licensed Sling Bag (Wii)
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

2.0 out of 5 stars Not big enough, 28 Dec. 2007
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
OK, I'll make this review short and sweet.

The gist of it is that it's not big enough. The build quality is good but you really can't fit anything in this bag! Just the console and the power cables maybe a couple of loose discs (without the boxes). That's it.

I need a bag that can also fit the remotes and the games actually in their original boxes (I just lose them otherwise)

Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Offered by Rush Gaming

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to set up, great fun and longetivity!, 28 Dec. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought my Nintendo Wii on launch day last year mainly due to the huge amount of hype that was surrounding the launch.

After unpacking it I began playing Wii Sports - the included game. This is huge amount of fun and is very good for people of all ages to play. I would recomend getting a second remote + nunchuck so you can play against somebody as this is were it is the most fun.
One year on and I am still playing this system (which is very good for me!) I still play Wii Sports occasionally (mainly when people come over) and many other games which have been released are also equally as fun.

I'm now going to rate the console based on some categories

1) Visuals

Despite this console not being high definition, the visuals are actually very good. We play it on both a 29" normal TV and a 32" wide screen LCD TV in both cases the graphics look clean, crisp and colourful. Navigating through the menu when you first turn on looks very good also.

2) Sound

The sound, as far as I know, is no different to any other console. It sounds great and the Wii has the added bonus of each remote having it's own mini speaker. That may sound like a gimmic but it is a useful feature when you are playing a game and hear appropriate sound effects coming out so close.

3) The games

Now as the Wii is cheaper to develop for, there have been some instances of 'shovelware' (they just shove it on) ignoring these games is a good idea so always check online reviews before buying games.

With that being said, there are many games on the wii that are every bit as good and better than the afforementioned WiiSports. There are games suitable for everybody here from nice family games such as 'Rayman's Ravin' Rabbits' to less family oriented games such as 'Resident Evil'.

The recently released Super Mario Galaxy showed the potential the Wii has graphically and has set a good example for future games to follow.

4) Set-up

Set up is very easy and most people should be able to do it in under a minute. The 3 cables you need to connect (power, tv and the sensor bar) are all colour coded so it is very straight forward.

It comes with both normal connections (phono plugs and a scart adapter) to connect to any TV set.

5) Wii Shop

The Wii shop uses the wireless internet feature to enable you to buy games for your wii. They are older games such as Sonic the Hedgehog (for the megadrive) or Mario 64 (for the Nintendo64) and cost around £5 each. They don't take long to download and you can be playing within a couple of minutes.

6) Other...

Other included features are a Photo slide show thing. This allows you to take the memory card out of your digital camera or mobile and have the photos displayed in a nice slide show on your TV set. This is a nice feature. You can also have your audio files on the card play out during the show.

Overall I am very happy with my Wii and would recomend most people get one. Almost anyone can play and even hard core gamers find that they enjoy the type of games available.

Melrose Place - The Complete First Season [DVD]
Melrose Place - The Complete First Season [DVD]
Dvd ~ Josie Bissett
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Great start to the series (but beware the music may not be as you remember), 1 Feb. 2007
Ok, not everyone likes the first series of Melrose Place, but I must be in the minority.

I would have to say that the series was a bit more substantial at the start and was not as outrageous and sensational as it became the following season (and only got more so).

Season 1 did a good job of introducing us to the residents of Melrose place, to Shooters and to D & D Advertising.

The main characters are Billy, Allison, Jake, Sandy, Michael, Jane, Matt, Rhonda (I don't think I've missed anyone) with small appearances by Kimberley and Amanda (towards the end of the season).

All the characters are developed quite well with the exception of Sandy, they don't seem to know what to do with her. One minute she has a strong Texas accent, the next it's gone! One minute she can't live without Jake, the next she's moving away (without even saying goodbye to him or any of the other residents in person). So as you may have guessed she disappears from the series after a dozen episodes.

Her character is replaced with a new one called Jo, who is actually an improvement.

Enough about the series, if you are looking into buying this you probably know a bit about the series anyway.

Specifically about this DVD set - there are no extras! Not a thing, the menus aren't even animated. In the USA there were some extras (but not many) but for some reason in the UK they have left these out.

Speaking of left out. If you glance at the episode guides on TV.com you will be able to see all the music used in the show such as U2 and The Cure, not in this set! All the contemporary music has been replaced, usually discreetly but one or twice it is obvious that some editing has had to take place to hide the change in music (such as in the pilot episode where Micheal is singing in the kitchen whilst making breakfast, his lips are still shown singing the original song but his voice is singing complete gibberish!)

So the 2 stars deducted are for

-no extras

-replacement music

Overall though I am happy with the set and will be buying season 2 when it becomes available.

Hope my review has been of some use.

Animaniacs Lights, Camera, Action! (Nintendo DS)
Animaniacs Lights, Camera, Action! (Nintendo DS)
Offered by CD DIXIE

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst game on the DS, 23 Oct. 2006
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I must say I have reaffirmed my faith in the amazon review system after seeing the reviews for this game, they are all absoloutely spot on.

The game is...

dull

frustrating

pointless

poorly made (graphics + sound=abismal)

If considering getting this game STOP!

It is NOT fun.

I can't see anybody being able to enjoy this

I'm not being a snob, i'm usually easily pleased but this is a poor effort.

Page: 1 | 2