Profile for jrhartley > Reviews

Drive [Blu-ray] (2011)
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling
Offered by MusicnMedia

3.0 out of 5 stars dellusions of grand noir, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Drive [Blu-ray] (2011) (Blu-ray)
This film is essentially fairly trite, an 'avenging' movie. The storyline is basically no better than you'd find in a Michael Mann production - no problem with that inherently, but the thing is, this film thinks its better than that. Its presented with delusions of being a bit arthouse, a bit noir, a bit moody and European. Regrettably, the director has thrown the kitchen sink in terms of stylistic tricks to try to get this vibe across, so desperate is he to persuade the audience that its not just a story about a driver who gets sucked into a world of in some violent crime because he's fallen for his neighbour.

There's nothing wrong with the storyline - yes, its fairly flimsy, a bit one dimensional and linear, but sometimes that's all you want. I did have difficulty accepting the characterisation of Ryan Gosling as some broody stunt driver who also just happens to be a total hard nut willing to mess with the Mafia. But in essence, the story is fine as a fairly easy 'Friday night at the flicks' type of film. The laboured attempts with the cinematography to try to force us to believe that this was somehow bigger than just an avenging movie, that it is deeper, more profound than that, I found actually detracted from the film as a whole. Some of the violence I found unnecessarily gratuitous as well, almost as if the director thought he'd also have a go at toppling Goodfellas or Casino in the 'gruesome ways to despatch someone' stakes.

One of the most obvious gaffes is evident right from the start - the soundtrack - far too full-on, very late 80s / early 90s. No doubt intentional by the director as a form of homage which we are supposed to lap up as well? Don't get me wrong - this isn't a bad film at a superficial level. Its just no classic, and isn't half as sophisticated, stylish or clever as it thinks it is.

The Slap [DVD] [2011]
The Slap [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Jonathan LaPaglia
Offered by Rapid-DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Unintended consequences from many angles, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Slap [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I have not read the book on which this award-winning 8 x 1 hour series is based on, so I cannot compare with the original text. What I can confirm is that the rave reviews on amazon and in the wider press are justified for The Slap, the ABC TV series. As we know, the story deals with consequences - unintended and expected - following on from a father slapping a young boy - who was not his own - at a 40th birthday party. Set in Melbourne, each episode tells a story from 8 protagonists point of view, which is highly effective at making the viewer reappraise their opinion of the events of the day of the Slap, and their opinion of characters whose story has been told in previous episodes. Perhaps the only character who I found I didn't change my opinion on was Rosie - Hugo's mum - who I found aggrevating and slighly absurd throughout the series.

The production quality of this series is exceptional - to the point that you could easily forget that you're watching a TV series and think that this was a film production. Acting is strong across the board and the story ticks along nicely - each episode flies by.

I'd put The Slap up there with Forbrydelsen and Mad Men - in my book - as a 'must-watch' TV series.

Revo Uno DAB Digital/FM Radio with Alarm (Black)
Revo Uno DAB Digital/FM Radio with Alarm (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, the brightness of the display is a non-issue, 14 Nov. 2011
I'm very sensitive to light when I'm trying to sleep and I think that the comments about the brightness of the display being too bright should be taken with a pinch of salt. I find that if the clock is angled toward you, the direct light is very low - there is some marginal leak if you have it inclined at a sharp angle to your head, but it really isn't anything. In fact, I sometimes struggle to actually make out the time.

I love the benefits that DAB radio brings - auto time update. Another feature I value is the ability to programme multiple alarms and control the behaviour of each alarm (day - great for having just come on on weekdays), volume, radio station, etc.

Like all Revo products, it is well designed and well made, good snooze vibrate button that allows you to add a five minute snooze people with each tap on the front. Overall, very happy with it, and I would recommend it to friends.

A New English House
A New English House
by Jonathan Woolf

1.0 out of 5 stars Not acceptable for a single house monograph, 30 Oct. 2011
This review is from: A New English House (Hardcover)
Uninhabited photos by Helene Binet, unscaled, over-sized, unannotated drawings, no north arrows, a paltry amount of supporting text, no working details. Someone looks like they've been studying at the Valerio Olgiati school of architectural publishing.... This is the second book on Jonathan Woolf's projects and I am just as disappointed with this as I was with the Quart publication on his work. If you produce a single project monograph, you cannot insult your readership by providing something as flimsy in content as this.

Draper 44151 42-Litre Flexible Bucket (Black)
Draper 44151 42-Litre Flexible Bucket (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars The moron in the Draper labeling department strikes again, 13 Oct. 2011
Perfectly fine flexible bucket, once again let down by the buffoon who specified that the label should be in easily ripping paper stuck on with industrial strength glue. I thought this sort of bad sticker labeling policy went out in the 1980s with Our Price record shops?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2013 12:28 AM GMT

Draper 08377 8 Piece Metric Hexagon Key Set
Draper 08377 8 Piece Metric Hexagon Key Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Moronic label design, 5 Oct. 2011
I think the person working in Draper's packaging / labelling department needs to be fired. This set of allen keys seems fine, but I really can't get my head around the thinking behind having the packaging / information label printed on thick plastic which has been hole punched and then threaded though the spindle of the allen keys themselves. The result is that you can't get to it to cut it back, and its too thick to rip off. The only way I could see of ridding the tool of the sharp remnants of this thick plastic label was to disassemble the tool and take the thing off the spindle. And yes, you guessed it - in order to disassemble the tool to remove the label you will need... another set of allen keys.

Toshiba 19DL834 19 -inch LCD 720 pixels 50 Hz TV With DVD Player
Toshiba 19DL834 19 -inch LCD 720 pixels 50 Hz TV With DVD Player

1.0 out of 5 stars 3AM buzzing, 5 Sept. 2011
This might have been a good product had it not been for the fact that at 3AM, when on standby, the TV starts to emit a metallic buzz which is sufficiently loud to ensure you wake up. When you look at the set, the stand by and LED lights are flashing green and red. The only way to get the noise to stop is to physically turn the set off at the mains - hardly an ideal solution for a TV you are likely to have in your bedroom and therefore turn off by the standby button on the remote every night.

I spoke to Toshiba about this and they suggested that it might be an update activity, but I have manually gotten the TV to search for updates and there are no software patches required, so I am bewildered what is causing this noise at the same time every morning. I have read the manual from cover to cover and searched Toshiba's website in case I am missing a feature and I have gone through all the TVs on-screen menus to see if there is something set to happen at this time every day. Given there is no solution from pursuing these avenues, I can only concluded that it must be a fault and therefore I am returning the item. What is perhaps more worrying, however, is if you search "Toshiba" and "buzzing" there seems to be a bit of a pattern emerging across Toshiba products.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2013 3:29 AM BST

Landscape and Structures: A Personal Inventory of Jurg Conzett: Ein persönliches Inventar von Jürg Conzett

3.0 out of 5 stars Swiss Bridges - A crit, 23 Aug. 2011
This book is a little different to what I expected - given Conzett's involvement in bridge building I thought the book would be more focused on his practice's output. The book is, in broad terms, a critique of some interesting and important bridges in Switzerland, grouped by canton and then by engineer. Each bridge is introduced by a paragraph about what makes it noteworthy, the structural solution employed to the bridging problem. Some bridges have additional photographs (black & white throughout) with notes highlighting elements of interest regarding the bridge's construction or detailing. It is actually more interesting that I anticipated when I first received the book - that said, its ideally the type of book that you would want to borrow and read rather than fork out for and keep. It is easy to plough through given the large ratio of photos to text.

If you are looking for a book on the work of Conzett, Bronzini Gartmann, I would recommend: Jürg Conzett, Gianfranco Bronzini, Patrick Gartmann. Forme di strutture-Forms of structures

The Hangover Part II [DVD] [2011]
The Hangover Part II [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Bradley Cooper
Offered by MusicnMedia

1.0 out of 5 stars A supremely lazy sequel. Avoid., 9 Aug. 2011
This film stinks of a film company being surprised by the success of the original and then rushing out a sequel as quickly as possible with scant regard to quality. It is supremely lazy - same formula, new destination (Thailand / Bangkok). All the things you'd expect are there - well - ladyboys - but the story-telling is far worse than the original. There are huge loose ends, it just doesn't flow at all. There's even the obligatory Mike Tyson parody appearance at the end singing Murray Head's "One Night In Bangkok" which I think demonstrates how desperate the writers must have become on this job.

Most importantly though, it simply isn't really funny in the way the first Hangover was. I think I chuckled a couple of times in the film - that's not sufficient for a comedy - let alone a comedy of this genre. Don't buy this - send a message that this sort of commercial repetition will not rub with the viewing public.

REVO DOMINO D3 WIFI/DAB/DAB+/FM ALARM RADIO (WHITE)
REVO DOMINO D3 WIFI/DAB/DAB+/FM ALARM RADIO (WHITE)

5.0 out of 5 stars so impressed i ordered a second one, 7 Jun. 2011
I was looking for a DAB radio with internet radio and an ipod dock for the kitchen and researched the options carefully before opting for the Domino D3. I wanted something that was reasonably stylish and had good sound, but equally I didn't want to spend a prince's ransom on a radio. I bought a refurb-ed on direct from Revo and I have to say that it appears to be first rate quality.

I am quite bowled over by this piece of kit, it has wonderful full sound, great bass, and a rich quality to it, despite its modest size. Set up couldn't be easier - it finds you DAB stations and then you just tell it your wireless password and you've got access to thousands of internet radio stations. Everything seems very intuitive - I haven't yet really gone through the manual, but I've got my favourite French radio station saved as my internet favourites. Yet to set up my home music network, but, to be honest, the ipod docked on the top of it is likely to fulfil this role 90% of the time.

I am so pleased with it that I've already ordered a second one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20