Profile for LondonS > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Enchanted
The Enchanted

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book..., 16 April 2015
This review is from: The Enchanted (Kindle Edition)
This book is so breathtakingly human and searingly poignant and gut wrenching. Add in a bit of magical realism and you've got yourself one of the best and most important books of 2015. More than once I was brought to tears by the beautiful language, heartbreaking stories and empathy for several characters... even the characters who committed some of the most heinous crimes.

Everyone should read The Enchanted.

Normally I donate my used books but this one is staying on my shelf for many a re-read.

Gardensity ® Hanging Deck Rail Outdoor Garden Flowers Plant Pot Planters Colours (Purple-Pink-Green 6185)
Offered by InternetukShop

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved them so much I bought more!, 7 April 2015
These planters are so brilliant and practical for a small balcony like mine. I'm able to grow herbs and flowers without sacrificing what little space I have which is great! Loved them so much I've bought another set of three. Thanks!

Hausfrau
Hausfrau

4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, sexy and smart, 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Hausfrau (Kindle Edition)
Hausfrau had me in two minds. On the one hand, I abhorred Anna. She's a cheat, a liar and manipulative. She seems like she doesn't care diddly squat about her children. I couldn't stand her.

On the other hand, I couldn't stop reading this book. It was steamy and salacious all while remaining intelligent. I actually, at many points, found myself identifying with Anna's loneliness. As a fellow American ex-pat living abroad, it can be a very isolating experience, especially if you find it difficult making friends. I'm at least lucky in that I live in an English speaking country!

I hate to say it, but I think there's probably a little bit of Anna in all of us.

Essbaum's Hausfrau is a few different things: it's titillating, smart and a study in character and morality. The writing is taut and fraught with tension and there are points where you're just waiting for something to give or for someone, Anna, to break. The construction itself was quite interesting. As Anna learns German, the rest of the book sort of ties into what she's learning. It's hard to explain, but very cleverly done.

With all of the buzz around this book, it's sure to be on everyone's reading list, especially as the more warmer months approach!

Thank you to the publishers and to NetGalley for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Our Endless Numbered Days
Our Endless Numbered Days

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting without being over dramatic, 26 Feb. 2015
I have a lot of guilty pleasures that revolve around reality television--one of my favorites just so happens to be Doomsday Preppers, a show about people preparing for the end of civilization as we know it. I knew that Our Endless Numbered Days would be a bit like Doomsday Preppers, without all of the nutty end of the world theories, so I was quite eager to get stuck in.

I. Loved. This. Book. Not only did it appeal to my love of all things apocalyptical, but Fuller's writing was an absolute joy to read. She does a brilliant job of writing capturing Peggy's voice as a child and later, a young woman who has seen and done some terrifying stuff. She beautifully captures the haunting isolation of the forest where Peggy and her father live. I didn't actually expect that part to be as interesting and as arresting as it was!

Fuller's writing style thankfully doesn't err on the side of melodramatic and titillating, as you might expect. Instead it's simple and almost subversive. You feel what Peggy feels from her loneliness to her hormones and, I'll be honest, I could almost sense her discomfort crawling around under my skin as the book came to its conclusion. Brilliant books make you feel things without realising they're doing it.

I did guess the twist at the end ahead of time but that most certainly didn't ruin the build up for me. Though short, Our Endless Numbered Days was a powerful little novel that I know I'll be thinking about for a while yet.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype!, 24 Jan. 2015
One of the most hyped books for the start of 2015 has been The Girl on the Train, and for very good reason. Originally I'd intended to toss this one on my ever growing TBR list and let it fester but after I started to hear loads of gossip about the book, I changed my mind. I'm glad I did.

Rachel is a drunk--there's no sugar coating it. She always manages to find an excuse for a drink and she always goes to the extreme with her drinking, oftentimes blacking out and waking up with the feeling of dread. Her life is relatively miserable; she's divorced, she's got very low self esteem and she's an alcoholic. Rachel's only solace is the commute to and from the suburbs to London where she's able to observe the happy lives of the people who live along the rail line. One couple in particular catches her attention and change her life forever.

Everyone lies. That's the one thing you'll take away from this book if nothing else. Every single character is a liar, is suspicious and could be guilty of any number of things. That's what made The Girl on the Train such a juicy read--everyone had their own secrets and the whole thing felt like a tabloid scandal. Each character is equally unlikeable for various reasons but you can't help but become invested in the outcome of the novel.

I have to admit, I related to Rachel on a few levels. I'm totally guilty of people watching on the bus to and from work. I tend to get on with the same people every morning and, like Rachel, I've made up stories about a few of them. It's an escape from the mundane, so I can see why would appeal to someone who doesn't have a lot to be happy about. I've also been the crazy ex, constantly texting and calling, not quite able to let go. I think it's one of the reasons I liked this book as much as I did.

This is one twisty turny book, friends. Though I guessed the ending little over halfway through, there's some brilliant writing here with some good red herrings thrown in to keep you guessing.

Already being compared to Gone Girl and climbing the bestseller list, The Girl on the Train takes readers for a crazy ride on a bumpy track full of signal failures and disorderly passengers.

Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for providing a copy for review.

Only Ever Yours
Only Ever Yours

4.0 out of 5 stars A Futuristic 'Mean Girls', 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Only Ever Yours (Kindle Edition)
One of my favorite movies of all times is Mean Girls. I can usually find a quote for any situation and could watch it over and over without getting tired. It’s a fantastically hilarious, perceptive and very intelligent film. Imagine, Mean Girls set in the future—a very bleak, depressing future where women are manufactured purely to satisfy the needs of men. A future where having children or providing physical comfort for a man is the only reason you’re breathing. Imagine all of this with the cattiness, back biting and popularity wrangling of Mean Girls and you get Louise O’Neill’s scarily brilliant Only Ever Yours.

Only Ever Yours is set in the near future after natural disasters and disease have decimated the world’s population. Governments realign themselves into Zones and begin the process of rebuilding stronger, safer communities—controlled solely by men. As the natural born women die out, new girls are created, hatched and reared to be perfect specimens of the female species. They’re known by their numbers, however they call each other by names.

freida and isabel are in their final year at school—a year in which they’ll be chosen to be in one of three stations for the rest of their lives: companions (essentially wives to bear children), concubines (prostitutes) and chastities (teachers at the School). Only Ever Yours follows freida and the other girls at the School in their final months leading up to the selection. We get to know freida intimately and her struggle to come to terms with what’s about to happen to her. We also see her struggle to find and be herself as her life is, in simplest terms, a popularity contest she can’t afford to lose.

O’Neill’s book is terrifying, but one that all teenage girls should read. There are some stark warnings on the impact of social media and bullying which I found very meaningful and valuable. It’s a quick book, I read it in one day, and very engaging. You don’t really notice the pages flying by.

Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret
Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my faves!, 8 July 2014
I forgot just how much I love this book so a big thank you to Pan Macmillan and NetGalley for allowing me to rediscover this Judy Blume classic.

Good lord, did I relate to this book back in the day. I was (luckily?) well endowed just like Laura so didn’t go through the whole ‘when-will-I-get-boobs’ phase but I do distinctly remember praying to get my period once or twice. Oh, how the times change.

I think it goes without saying that Blume captures perfectly what it’s like to be a pre-teen with angst about important issues (religion) and likewise not so important issues. When I read this as a kid, I was admittedly more hung up on the crushes and puberty. Reading it now as an adult, I’m more focused on the family issues as well as Margaret’s questioning of religion and of herself. It takes talent to write a novel that appeals to two different age groups for two very different reasons.

Yes, the book is dated but I don’t think that makes a lick of difference. It’s still very relevant for girls today and, one day, I’m sure I’ll be buying a copy for my own daughter (along with several others by Blume).

Power Games
Power Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Saucy Summer Read, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Power Games (Kindle Edition)
I’m a massive Victoria Fox fan and when I saw Power Games up for grabs on NetGalley, I have to say I got pretty excited. Fox is known for her sexy storylines (with a high raunch-factor), larger than life characters and grandiose settings. Power Games did not disappoint on any of those fronts.

At the heart of this novel, you’ve got seven celebrities. They’re all pretty typical — vain, egotistical and ‘God’s gift.’ They don’t care who they hurt if it means getting their way and they’re not afraid to humiliate and screw over others. But then, one by one in years past or present, they all hurt the wrong person, a person whose father has limitless powers and can make the unimaginable happen.

With that, the seven celebs (all thinking they’re on a sort of missionary trip) are whisked off on a private jet which explodes over the Indian Ocean. Against all odds, they crash land on an uninhabited island. Egos must be put aside if they’re to survive and thrive as a group.

I loved Power Games. I loved the sexy jungle setting (but not the ant’s nests!) and the whole survival story aspect. It added an extra layer of depth to Fox’s newest offering and I raced through to find out who made it off the island alive.

Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Someone Else's Wedding
Someone Else's Wedding

5.0 out of 5 stars Weddings bring out the worst in us..., 17 Jun. 2014
When I originally rated this book on my Goodreads, I gave it four stars. Now, after reflection, I’ve had to upgrade that rating to five stars simply because I’m still thinking about the Friedmans, James and the rest of the characters.

This book packs a wallop but without giving too much away I really can’t say why. Over the course of a bank holiday weekend, Fran and Saul Friedman along with their grown up daughters Pip and Katy attend the wedding of Jamie Irving. We’re led to believe that Jamie is a long-time friend of the family but the truth is so much more salacious and interesting. Unlike other reviewers, I was so wrapped up in other plotlines within the story that I didn’t guess what was going on until it hit me in the face. And I’m happy about that! I love a good shocking surprise!

Everyone in this book has a problem that comes to a head. Fran’s still grieving from a stillbirth nearly three years prior, Saul is distant and unsupportive, Pip is in love with a married man, Katy is a selfish wild child… and that’s just the Friedmans! And then there’s Jamie, with his connection to Fran. It’s all very dark and brooding and, when things finally came to a head, I found them dramatic and terribly entertaining.

Someone Else’s Wedding deals with so many issues from miscarriage to mental health to your typical family drama – all of which unfold over the course of one long weekend. It’s deliciously trashy (and I definitely don’t mean that in a bad way) and like watching your favourite reality tv show or chat program. This book was definitely a speed-read, guilty pleasure for me!

There’s nothing like a wedding to bring out the worst in people.

The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me
The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I hadn't read it... just so I could read it for the first time all over again!, 10 Jun. 2014
There’s so much about Lucy’s writing that appeals to me. I’ve said before that reading her books is like chatting with your best friend and her newest, The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me, is no exception.

Sally’s a bit of a neurotic main character but goodness do I love her. With a cracking voice but a phobia of singing in public (thanks to a rather embarrassing school recital incident), the only one who hears Sally’s gorgeous voice is Carrot, her stuffed toy. She’s a wardrobe mistress for the Royal Opera House but that’s as close as she wants to get to the stage, thank-you-very-much.

But when the group travels to New York for a special performance, everything (and I mean everything) changes. With the help and insistence of best friend and cousin Fiona, Sally goes back to London ready to seize the day and begins opera classes at the Royal College of Music.

That’s the simple version. The more complicated version is gut wrenching, hilarious, mega sad and just all around wonderful. But I hate spoiling things so I won’t tell you about any of that — you’ll have to discover the wonderfulness that is The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me for yourself.

While Robinson’s third novel is as hilarious and as brilliant as her first two, this new novel is made of tougher and slightly darker stuff. The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me is grittier and certainly sadder, but I really loved this book and shed more than a few tears at different points. With a unique plot and loveable cast of characters, I almost wish I hadn’t read this book just so I could go back and read it for the first time again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7