Profile for Mary O. Flanagan > Reviews

Content by Mary O. Flanagan

Mary O. Flanagan "Mary Kate O Flanagan" (Dublin, Ireland)

Anything For Her [DVD] [2008]
Anything For Her [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Olivier Perrier
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical French movie. So tense and thrilling., 13 Oct. 2010
This review tells you the premise - so don't read on if you want no idea of what it's about.
A tightly constructed prison break movie with a terrific twist; Julien is a schoolteacher who plans to break his wife Lisa out of prison from the outside. But with a four year old son to take care of and no knowledge of the criminal underworld, he is hard-pressed to figure out how to do this.
This is one of the best films I have seen for a couple of years; every one I know who saw it in the cinema was just riveted. I'm in awe of how well-paced it is. It works really well on DVD. It has real heart, too - there are several moments that show insight and depth beyond the normal thriller. Loved it.
I hear it's been remade with Russell Crowe - not surprising that Hollywood leapt on a story this good. I'd recommend seeing this version first.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2010 11:03 PM GMT

Manifest Your Desires: 365 Ways To Make Your Dreams A Reality: 365 Ways to Make Your Dream a Reality
by Esther and Jerry Hicks

4.0 out of 5 stars Best daily lift for people who already know Abraham a little., 25 Oct. 2009
I love this book and keep it handy in order to dip in a few times a day. I would recommend Ask and It Is Given or any of the other books for people who don't yet know Abraham; this book will be more likely to connect with poeple who already understand what they are saying. I love the artwork and find it very beautiful.

Baby Zero
Baby Zero
by Emer Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Transported by the Scheherezade of Irish Literature, 22 July 2007
This review is from: Baby Zero (Paperback)
I have recently spent two days in the thrall of Emer Martin's Baby Zero. I understand it's her third novel - I haven't read the other two but I really want to, now.

The title refers to three female members of an upper class family from Orap (a fictional Middle Eastern country, with a lot of resemblances to Iran and Iraq). As each succcessive regime turns the year back to Zero, each of the girls, born years apart, is a "Baby Zero". Through them, Martin charts the survival of the Fatagagas family through civil war and flight, across the globe to LA with a stop in Ireland on the way - and finally back to Orap in a disastrous attempt to reclaim the privilege and security of the years gone by.

She's a master story teller ( I literally had chores piling up but ignored them all because the story was demanding to be read; that hasn't happened to me for fifteen years). There's powerful stuff in here - some of the material is so vivid it's gut wrenching, not least because its rooted in reality - but Martin also weaves in her own extremely funny observations of human behaviour, and her characters are often able to be wryly witty about their circumstances (I liked the spoilt American-raised Marguerite seeing the cowed women of Orap all shrouded in Burqas, with her mother and aunt haranguing her about violations of civil rights for women, commenting, 'It must be really easy to be a drag queen here').

Personally I was sure I could not have kept on reading if Martin was not so well able to handle the material with the shifts in tone and perspective which made it so engaging. The humour and the ultimate redemption in the story alleviate the difficult material, in a manner which reminded me of Louis de Bernieres' South American trilogy.

But Martin's powerfully assured writing and idiosyncratic voice owe nothing to anyone but herself.

Without overanalysing it, I was transported to another world, completely engrossed and left pondering the story ever since. That's all I ask for from a book. Baby Zero delivers.

Hearty recommendation.