Profile for DJ Rockula > Reviews

Content by DJ Rockula

DJ Rockula "DJ Rockula" (The Underworld)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
I Think I Can See Where You're Going Wrong: And Other Wise and Witty Comments from Guardian Readers
by Marc Burrows

3.0 out of 5 stars Grauniad Chuckles., 17 Nov. 2014
Many of the comments in this book are extremely funny. I'm glad that wit, sarcasm and satire are alive and well. But It's hard to believe that some people actually put 'fingers to keys' to type their comments on the Guardian pages. Some of them don't put their brains in gear. Which is great for us 'cause we get to smirk at them in that vaguely superior way we're all capable of. Of course, most of us at one time or other have posted or written something we later regret or receive grief for. It's the nature of things in these days of instant access Social Media.
I read this book in a Doctor's car park waiting for a relative.
An hour and a half of everything from incredulous disbelief, through mild amusement to actual laugh out loud (not LOL) moments that had other members of the public thinking there was a 'nutter' sitting in the car.
It's hardly going to win the Booker Prize for literature but I highly doubt that was ever intended or expected. If I have one complaint it's that the book is too short.
I recommend this book for people with a sense of humour.
Those without need not apply.

Soulless: The Manga Vol. 1 (Parasol Protectorate)
Soulless: The Manga Vol. 1 (Parasol Protectorate)
by Gail Carriger

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 15 Dec. 2012
I read the 5 'Parasol Protectorate' novels first.
Then I read the Manga (Vol. 1. & 2.)

I think both formats are superb. Although the graphic versions don't show the characters exactly as I had imagined them it didn't detract from my enjoyment and, in fact, because they were different I think it actually added to my pleasure.

I'm looking forward to the sequels to the novels (due January I think) and Vol. 3 of the Manga.

I might even read the Young Adult 'Finishing School' series despite being the wrong side of 50. :)

A Poet's Life
A Poet's Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been a great album., 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: A Poet's Life (Audio CD)
As I say, this is could've been a great album for lovers of reggae.

But it's basically an Aggrolites album with Tim Armstrong doing his Rancid growl over it. If you don't like Armstrong's voice this ain't going to change your mind. Fine if you do.

Brazil [Blu-ray] [1985]
Brazil [Blu-ray] [1985]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Pryce

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOVIE BUT...., 11 May 2012
This review is from: Brazil [Blu-ray] [1985] (Blu-ray)
I'm not going to review this movie other than to see it's a brilliant and unmissable classic.

If you only want the so-called Director's Cut this release is just fine. No problem.

However, the reason I'm writing is to give a warning to the other diehard fans and movie obsessives like myself.

If, like me, you bought the 3 DVD Criterion set there is absolutely no reason to purchase this Blu Ray at all.

There is no substantial improvement of sound or picture on this Blu Ray as compared to the Criterion DVD release and you also don't get all the versions plus the extras that were on that DVD set.

Personally I wish I'd waited for the Criterion set to get a full re-release on Blu Ray with, hopefully, a bit of time and effort put into upgrading it to the kind of Blu Ray this movie deserves.

My 5 stars are for the movie....not this particular release.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2014 5:07 AM GMT

Murdoch Mysteries - Under the Dragon's Tail
Murdoch Mysteries - Under the Dragon's Tail
by Maureen Jennings

4.0 out of 5 stars It's NOT the TV series, 1 May 2012
Maureen Jenning's Murdoch books are excellent.

I'm not going to review the book.

I've given it 4 stars 'cause that's what it deserves.

I'm just trying to balance the ratings because of the 1 star review given it by another person who didn't like it 'cause 'it's not like the TV series'.

No, it's not. It came first.

Steepletone SMC386 USB Recordable 5-In-1 Retro Music Centre - Black
Steepletone SMC386 USB Recordable 5-In-1 Retro Music Centre - Black
Offered by DIGITEL TECHNOLOGY LTD (UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but cheerful., 17 April 2012
This product does exactly what I wanted it to do. A cheap and simple way to transfer vinyl, tape or CD to mp3.

Vinyl recordings can be a bit 'tinny' but with some basic software the USB recordings can then be manipulated in your computer.

And all of this without having to use any Apple iTunes product.

Love it.

I would also point out that the 'Black' and 'Silver' versions are basically the same unit but for some reason there's a £100 difference in price between suppliers. Shop around the Amazon pages.

2012 Zombie Apocalypse [Blu-ray] [2011] [US Import]
2012 Zombie Apocalypse [Blu-ray] [2011] [US Import]

3.0 out of 5 stars Astounding......, 29 Feb. 2012
....The Asylum have made a movie that doesn't suck!

This was as good, if not better, than most of the zombie dross that's been released in the last couple of years. The FX, although not the most expensive you'll ever see, are very good for a film of this budget. The acting was of a reasonable level. There was actually a story in there too. I'm in shock!

What's the bottom line? Was I entertained? Yes.
Very.

But...The Asylum releasing a good movie....the apocalypse must be upon us.:)

The Iron Jackal
The Iron Jackal
by Chris Wooding

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 27 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Iron Jackal (Paperback)
This is easily the best in the series of tales featuring Captain Frey and the crew so far. And the first two were fantastic so that's saying something. I loved it. I couldn't put it down. I didn't want it to end because I was so blissfully immersed in Chris Wooding's universe.

I really hope that this is not the last we hear of the crew of the Ketty Jay.

I need more.

Helldriver (Blu-ray)
Helldriver (Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Yumiko Hara
Offered by bestmediagroup

3.0 out of 5 stars Over the top, 14 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Helldriver (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
Not really my idea of zombies....more like a combination of 'Monkey' and 'Evil Dead'.
Rediculous but fairly entertaining. It's unlikely that I'll watch it again.

Live In Berlin
Live In Berlin

5.0 out of 5 stars This is now...., 13 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Live In Berlin (MP3 Download)
A suberb live snapshot of this revitalised band.

Still touring (now with ex-Damned drummer Rat Scabies on board) and with the new (officially only the 4th) studio album due in March 2012.

Check out the new stuff.

No need to wallow in nostalgia when it's happening now!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3