Profile for oggs > Reviews

Primus Ignition Steel M
Offered by HobbyHome
Price: 8.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the firework display it promised., 29 May 2014
This review is from: Primus Ignition Steel M (Sports)
I just ordered one of these to replace my missing firesteel. I have to say I am a bit disappointed. I use firesteels for both my job and for leisure on a very regular basis, and therefore fairly adept at using these things! This one however - not so much. It doesn't give the shower of sparks promised, and is awkward to use as the striker is very short. I have just put in an order for the Bear Grylls firesteels for group lessons. Although they are a bit chunky to carry, they are much easier to use, and give better results that this Primus. It's ok, but I wouldn't recommend it.

You're a bad man, Mr Gum
You're a bad man, Mr Gum
Price: 2.88

5.0 out of 5 stars absaloutley awesome, 12 Oct 2013
Written by a 9 year old:

Bad and dangerously funny really good . Infact amazing. It's the best book ever it is fantasticly amazing for kids that talk about nonsense stuff.

(And this particular 9 year old does talk about nonsense stuff a lot.)

Once In A Lifetime: The Best Of Talking Heads
Once In A Lifetime: The Best Of Talking Heads
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Top album, 10 Aug 2013
Well, it's Talking Heads isn't it. It's been good since it was made. I have to write 7 more words. Done.

Blame My Brain: the Amazing Teenage Brain Revealed
Blame My Brain: the Amazing Teenage Brain Revealed
by Nicola Morgan
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 19 July 2013
Loved this book. My husband brought it home on recommendation from a Child Protection course he was doing. Read it in 2 afternoons as it's such an easy and fascinating little read. My kids aren't there yet, but I think it's a good little preparation book for the onslaught of those teen years that I remember so well myself ;0/ . Would recommend it to anyone who just feels like they have no clue what is going on inside their teens heads. It may well not all be true, but it certainly makes a lot of sense if you ask me!

Wonder
Wonder
Price: 3.32

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Wonder (Kindle Edition)
Just found out that my 9 year old son has written the following review. Thought it was worthwhile putting a note to explain that its not an adults review!

'Such a brilliant book couldn't wait to finish it. If you like a touching read this ones for you. Just awesome.'

Mr Gum and the Dancing Bear
Mr Gum and the Dancing Bear
by Andy Stanton

5.0 out of 5 stars nonsense, 14 Feb 2013
A very funny book. Better than any other book, its totally awesome.
Better than diary of a wimpy kid,I was addicted.

The Boy in the Dress
The Boy in the Dress
by David Walliams
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star funny, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Boy in the Dress (Paperback)
Reviewed by my 9 year old son:
I laughed my socks off at this hilariously funny and emotional book. David Walliams is so awesome, he could have been the boy in the dress when he was young.

Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder
by Dave Barter
Price: 9.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Cycling widow, 4 Feb 2013
I hate cycling. Its just far too much effort if you ask me. Unfortunately, the husband doesn't feel the same, and is never more than 24 hours away from sticking a bike between his legs, and scarpering with a camelback full of water.
In a quest to understand the male cycling psyche, I happened upon this book and decided in my wisdom to give it a go. Actually, he had downloaded it to my Kindle - maybe it was subliminal messaging?
Much to my chagrin, I have to say, it was an enlightening read. I wanted to find it a mind numbing techno cycling nerdy piece of cheap narrative extolling the virtues of biking on the middle class male.
But (and here's the thing), what I actually discovered was a fresh set of eyes through which I could view my husbands cycling obsession.
Why does he love to spend two hours getting the damn thing ready to ride, then disappear for a large part of the day, returning cold, wet and filthy with a new sense of calm and a ravenous appetite? Well, the answer my fellow cycling widows, is here. I have a new understanding of my husbands 'hobby'. I'm not saying that I nesseccarily agree, with his point of view, but at least I get it. I'm not saying I am delighted with the large sums of money that mysteriously disappear from the bank account, only to be followed 3 days later by the arrival of yet another 'Wiggle' stamped parcel. But at least now I get it.
In short, if you are struggling to come to terms with your other halves cycling addiction, or can't understand why he would rather spend large quantities of time researching new headsets and gear ratios, than watch a repeat of Sex in the City with you, then maybe this book is for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2013 1:03 PM GMT

The Help
The Help
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Future classic., 14 April 2012
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
I can see this being on schools reading lists. And I mean that in a very positive way. Along with some other great books like To Kill A Mockingbird and The Boy In The Stripped Pyjamas, I think this is one that all young adults should read. Don't get me wrong, I think all adults should read it too, but it has to be one of those books that you will carry dear to your heart for as long as you live, and quite frankly, the younger you are when you read it, the longer it can be with you!
It is a beautifully crafted book. Told from many perspectives it is carried forward on a beautiful wave of inevitability, surprise, hate, fear, love, sympathy, empathy, oh I could go on.... The characters are wonderfully believable. I actually felt real hatred on many occasions, and also felt humbled by the stoic bravery in situations that just left me cold. And the hardest part to swallow is that it isn't set centuries ago, but just a few short decades past.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Please read it, believe me, it won't take you long as you will eat the pages with a voracious appetite!

Cruel Justice (Justice series Book 1)
Cruel Justice (Justice series Book 1)
Price: 0.82

1.0 out of 5 stars Painful, 3 April 2012
I can't believe that I actually made it to the end of this book!
The characters were unreal, and the relationships within the story were jagged and confusing. The change in relationship between two ofthe main characters was quite frankly not just unbelievable, but ridiculously sudden and irritating!
The plot was thin, and the introduction fairly early on of a key character whose suspicious behaviour resulted in no more than lip service to the fact , was frustrating.
The writer has obviously NEVER been to the places he writes of, as he depicts Cornwall as being home to an international oil company office with a glass lift offering views of the rolling hills! Please authors, if you are unable to describe an area accurately, don't try and make it up, it just shows a lack of research.
But I have to say that the most upsetting elements of the book were blase references to real murder cases. I found them both unessecary and distasteful.
I will most definitely not be recommending this to friends, as I know there are many many thrillers that have been more carefully thought out and executed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2012 9:27 AM BST