Profile for Ms. S. J. Mackey > Reviews

Content by Ms. S. J. Mackey

Ms. S. J. Mackey "Steph M" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Darkness Falls (Darkness Falls  Book 1)
Darkness Falls (Darkness Falls Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Book 1 - there's more of this tedium?, 1 Aug 2013
Oh dear, inconsistent and unbelievable characters - like cheap cartoons, I care more about Tom & Jerry! Poor writing, inaccurate language; 'I went in to check if the cave was preoccupied'! Boring, repetetive and entirely plot-free. Really if you want to be engaged and stimulated by a book avoid this. Sorensen's 'Fallen Star' series was better.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right for a half 100 year old, 1 Aug 2013
So funny, a mixture of the prosaic and the unbelievable. Interesting reflection of recent history in an engaging personal format. Now I'm not afraid to get old and I am learning the value of calm acceptance based on a foundation of kicking out when things are wrong. Just lovely.

The Snow Child
The Snow Child

4.0 out of 5 stars The Snow Child - a grounded fairy tale, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Snow Child (Kindle Edition)
A beautifully written book with a charismatic balance between gritty reality and delicate fantasy. Unusual and difficult to compare with other books - (maybe Time Travellers Wife in that mix of real life and impossibility?) Emotional and thoughtful, a book I didn't want to rush but savoured over a few days commute to work. I don't normally have time to 'rate my purchases' but I really want to recommend this lovely book to anyone who appreciates gorgeous writing and a compelling story.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocket Dog Sugar Daddys, 28 April 2012
This is the 3rd pair of SDs I've owned. Love the style and comfort. Before I've gone for the suede finish but I like the slightly distressed effect in these leather-look ones. They go with skirts, leggings and trousers - I even used them once on my mountain bike for an evening ride when I'd forgotten my bike shoes - very warm! I got size 5 which fitted my size 38/39 feet fine.

eMachines 355 10.1 inch Netbook (Intel Atom N455 Processor, 1 GB RAM , 250 GB HDD, Windows 7 Starter 32-bit) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars eMachine netbook, 13 Nov 2011
Very light and compact with good screen quality. I bought this netbook to enable me to work on my daily commute, it meets this need perfectly. Internet connection can be slow but I suspect this is due to dodgy network coverage on a moving train. However for writing report and assignments it's just the job. The touch pad is very sensitive and if the fold down tables on the trains were bigger I'd probably use it with a mouse. Good value for money.

Size 5 Rocket Dog Womens Jailerchi Grey Heart Print Canvas Ankle Boots
Size 5 Rocket Dog Womens Jailerchi Grey Heart Print Canvas Ankle Boots

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocket Dogs for Summer, 8 Aug 2010
The photo - altho good - doesn't do the boots justice! They are such fun - I have had loads of positive comments when wearing them. They make my feet feel warm but cotton socks sort it out. Delivered very quickly. Tremendous value. And by the way the sizes are generous - the size 5 I ordered fit my size 39 feet just fine.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
by Stieg Larsson
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Audio Girl with Dragon Tattoo, 8 Aug 2010
I am really getting into audio books as I drive too much and hate to feel that it's wasted time... Anyway, this set was delivered very quickly. It's really good value compared with high street prices. The reader was excellent - he did the voices without making it odd or artificial. Will use format and seller again.

TP Forest Hexagonal Sandpit
TP Forest Hexagonal Sandpit

5.0 out of 5 stars Sandpit - alternative use, 27 May 2010
This review is from: TP Forest Hexagonal Sandpit (Toy)
We bought this pit as an outdoor excercise area for my daughter's tortoise. It is very sturdy and was satisfying to erect. Looks attractive. Durable rainproof cover. The tortoise is content.

The Golden Goblet (Puffin Books)
The Golden Goblet (Puffin Books)
by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

5.0 out of 5 stars The Golden Goblet - Children's fiction, 6 Mar 2010
I had this book as a child and was gripped by it then so I was delighted to find it on Amazon. It would be a really good read for (or to) a child studying Eqyption history. It's an exciting adventure with masses of cultural detail.

The Queen's Gambit (Vintage Contemporaries)
The Queen's Gambit (Vintage Contemporaries)
by Walter Tevis

5.0 out of 5 stars Book - Queen's Gambit, 6 Mar 2010
I read this book as a teenager years ago and never forgot the subtly and tension of the narrative. Unfortunately i did forget the title and the author. So that's the beauty of Amazon - I typed in 'novel about chess' and up it popped. Enticingly low price, arrived within a couple of days, and it was every bit as engrossing as I'd remembered. Go on people - search for those half-remembered favourites.....

Page: 1 | 2