Profile for Margaret Lake > Reviews

Content by Margaret Lake

Margaret Lake "Historical Fiction/Romance Author" (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2
Season Of The Harvest (Harvest Trilogy, Book 1)
Season Of The Harvest (Harvest Trilogy, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hicks does it again, 9 Feb 2011
What has he done again? Kept me up until 2am finishing one of his books.

Season of the Harvest is an edge-of-your-seat, nail-biting, page-turner. The story gripped me from the beginning and the characters became real to me right away.

There are heart-wrenching deaths, epic battles, unexpected survival, and more twists and turns than a corkscrew.

I honestly don't know what to say about this book except ... read it. It's one of the best thrillers I've ever read and I will be reading it again.

The Sex Club (The Detective Jackson Mystery/Thriller Series Book 1)
The Sex Club (The Detective Jackson Mystery/Thriller Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars An Engrossing Read, 9 Nov 2010
I love mysteries. I usually return to old favorites like Agatha Christie and Rex Stout because I haven't found anyone to replace them. L.J. Sellers' characters don't have Poirot and Miss Marples endearing foibles, nor do they have the quirky relationship between those two eccentrics, Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin.

What they have is a dynamic story behind them to make them believable and sympathetic. Detective Jackson is no supercop. He's a guy who knows police work and how to investigate a murder. He could be any homicide detective on any police force in the country who follows the trail from point alpha to point omega. For that alone, I was glad to ride along with him.

Sellers' style is clean and straightforward and leads you quickly from one page to another. Maybe too quickly. The Kindle Edition is over 5K locations and I felt like I whizzed through the story.

There is more than one mystery here, but Sellers never over-complicates the story or takes it in too many directions at once. I found the ending very satisfying, although I have to wonder what "God's Messenger" will be up to in the future.

I've already downloaded the next Detective Jackson mystery and look forward to starting it tonight.

Remix
Remix

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reading, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Remix (Kindle Edition)
It's going to be hard to write this review without spoilers because I really want to talk about several aspects of this book. I'm afraid I'll have to review Remix in general terms and let the five stars speak for themselves.

I really liked the characters. Ms. Revellian created ordinary people in a difficult and even dangerous situation and never fell into the trap of making them superheros. If she had, the story would have been less enjoyable. One might argue that a rock god isn't an ordinary person, but Ric fits right in with the profile of your ordinary, every day rock god.

The story was well-written and kept me interested throughout but it was the end that really impressed me. Again, Ms. Revellian could have gone for a pat and tidy ending, but she didn't. The ending was just as realistic and down to earth as the characters and the story.

I hope the next book won't be a follow-up to Remix because I really liked the way things were left. Whatever it is, you can bet I'll be reading it.

Legend Of The Sword (The Last War Trilogy, Book 2) (In Her Name)
Legend Of The Sword (The Last War Trilogy, Book 2) (In Her Name)

5.0 out of 5 stars The wild ride continues, 30 Aug 2010
Every time I read a book in this series, I am surprised to find that I can hold my breath much longer than I thought. I am also surprised that I continue to enjoy reading a sci-fi series. I think that's because, although it is a futuristic, inter-stellar epic, it also contains a large dose of fantasy in the form of the Kreelans.

The meaning behind the title "Legend of the Sword" was quite a surprise, but made perfect sense.

Mr. Hicks continues to make me care about the characters, both human and Kreelan. And he is not above making me cry over those who die in this ongoing conflict. Again, both human and Kreelan.

The author tipped the scales more toward sci-fi than fantasy with the introduction of Scarlet/Valentina in this installment. Nevertheless, I liked the character, although I would have liked to know more about her.

Looking forward to the next one.

Gone For a Soldier (Gone For Soldiers Book 1)
Gone For a Soldier (Gone For Soldiers Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 30 Aug 2010
I finished this book a few weeks ago, but did not review it right away. I wanted to give the review as much thought as Mr. Hepple obviously did in writing it. Hopefully, I'll do it justice. At least I'll try.

This book made me feel like I was there. The story became very personal through the characters of John Van Buskirk and his wife, Anna Livingston. Their thoughts, their feelings, what they did for their country, were all very believable to me. When I think about the courage and sacrifice of these two young people, I am deeply touched.

Added to the personal story, is the story of the founding of our country. Yes, in high school, I had to read the "Declaration of Independence" and "Common Sense." I certainly didn't undersand the reality of those documents at the time. Reading them in this book as an adult against the backdrop of the people who fought and died, brought tears to my eyes.

I also enjoyed all the correspondence Mr. Hepple included. It was real and made the people who wrote those letters real, too.

I was sad when the book came to an end. I wanted it to continue. Thankfully, it has in the next installment, "Land of the Free."

Healing Touch
Healing Touch

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 30 Aug 2010
This review is from: Healing Touch (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally read novellas because I didn't feel there was enough time for character development. I bought this one because of forum posts by the author and the price was definitely right.

What a surprise! I immediately understood the heroine, Tracey, her life, her feelings. Not only that, it was a fully developed story.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a great rainy day or beach read or anytime you just want to curl up with a good book for a couple of hours.

Wistril Compleat
Wistril Compleat

4.0 out of 5 stars Wolfe and Archie go wizard, 30 Aug 2010
This review is from: Wistril Compleat (Kindle Edition)
This is not a criticism. Knowing (and loving) Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin as I do, it made the stories even more enjoyable for me.

Just like Wolfe, Wistril is rotund, loves to eat, loves to drink beer, and spends his time reading. He also, just like Wolfe, says, "Bah," "Pfui," "Flummery," and "Confound it." Not to mention they both bellow.

Archie, as Kern, does all the legwork and gets all the best wisecracks. He even takes a stack of papers out of his desk, just as Archie does.

We had horrendous thunderstorms today, and it was a perfect time to lose myself in the land of Kauph with Wistril and Kern and all the gargoyles. Hoot (read it to understand).

I only gave this book 4 stars because of minor editing and continuity errors. I would like to have given it 4.5.

I will certainly read the next one.

Lonely is the Soldier
Lonely is the Soldier

5.0 out of 5 stars Hepple's best, 30 Aug 2010
It seems I can't review one of Jeff's books without giving it five stars. I'm a big fan of action/adventure and historical fiction, and Jeff delivers both beautifully.

Lonely is the Soldier is the backstory of one of the principal characters of The Treasure of La Malinche Vol. 1 & 2. I read Treasure first and loved it. I don't know whether you have to read these in order, but I read the prequel last. It didn't lessen my enjoyment of the story at all.

Linc is regular army, but he is recruited for a special forces unit. He mostly works undercover and gets involved in many global crises throughout his career. It's very interesting to see these events through Linc's eyes.

But don't think it's all about one military campaign after another. Linc's personal life keeps pulling him back so that we get to know him as a man, not just a fighting machine.

I really liked Treasure a lot, and as I read this one, I didn't think I would be able to choose a favorite between the two. When I got to the end, Lonely is the Soldier became the clear winner.

Now I have to read Treasure again.

The Merry-Go-Round
The Merry-Go-Round

5.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't quite sure how this one was going to end, 30 Aug 2010
I purchased this book because of a review (can't recall which one) that intrigued me.

Lauren is not a happy camper to say the least. Her hypochondriac, internet addicted father has to move in with her, her ex-husband has wiped out her savings, and she's struggling to build up her solo legal practice. To say she's filled with angst would be understating it.

Balance that out with her secretary who insists on looking on the bright side and some fun clients (wish there had been a couple more of those) not to mention a handsome new love-interest and a sympathetic ex-husband and you have an engaging story.

It all revolves (if I may interject the pun) around a broken down old merry-go-round. Will Lauren jump on and keep riding around in circles, or will she open her heart and go for the brass ring?

Finding out was fun.

In Her Name: First Contact
In Her Name: First Contact

5.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing prequel to In Her Name (omnibus edition), 30 Aug 2010
As I said in my review of In Her Name, I don't normally read sci-fi. The In Her Name series is proving to be the exception for me.

The prequel tells us about the beginning of the war between humans and Kreelans, a race of blue-skinned female warriors. Many new wonderful characters are introduced and many are lost in a breathtaking epic battle, both on the ground and in space.

A wonderful character we met in the original omnibus version, appears in First Contact, and I was glad to see her again. Since she is a Kreelan warrior priestess, those who have not read the omnibus may not feel the same way when they meet her.

Once again, Mr. Hicks has created a rich and compelling fantasy universe. The villains of the piece are vicious and bloodthirsty, but are completely loyal to their own code of honor. For that, you may find a grudging respect.

In Her Name: First Contact, is just the beginning of the war. I'm sure Mr. Hicks has two more books planned to make it a trilogy. He must, because I cannot leave this world behind.

Page: 1 | 2