Profile for bridb20 > Reviews

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (Special Edition) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (Special Edition) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Richard Dreyfuss

5.0 out of 5 stars A CLASSIC FILM GETS THE BEST RELEASE SO FAR, 29 Jun. 2008
This Blu-Ray release is my 3rd owned Close Encounters to date, first I had it on video, then 2disc DVD, and now finally this 2disc Blu-Ray ultimate edition.
For this price, it is an absolute must buy, I can assure you. From when you first have the item in your hand, you can tell it has not just been cobbled together. It is the nicest Blu-Ray for the money you can purchase. Don't be fooled by amazon's picture of the standard bluray case, it is not presented in a plastic case at all, it is SO much better than that, Such a surprise to find that as soon as you open your parcel, you have got something that looks like it should be double or even treblethe money I payed for it.
The Hard cover is a thing of quality, very thick stuff which wont start to look tatty easily and should last years perhaps decades.
Slide out the inside and you will find two parts, one being the Blu-ray section and the other is a fantastic book, easily the best quality I have ever seen on any format, beautifully produced and such a departure from the usual cheap tiny leaflet type "booklet" you usually get. Not much text here just a few snippets, but a lot of great photographs of cast and crew making the movie. This release has given what I consider to be the best documentation for the money you can buy, not only do you get the lovely little book, but also a reproduction poster of the original movie poster and on the back of it a timeline showing the differences in the three versiion you get here.
I love the menu, simple and stylish featuring the theme and those little coloured rectangles that are so iconic to the film.
This release then gives you the option to watch any of the different versions of the movie from the menu.
THE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL RELEASE, THE DIRECTORS CUT & THE SPECIAL EDITION are all on the first disc, it's incredibly well put together featuring seamless branching to get them all on, amazing.

The Picture Quality of the movie is the best release yet, perhaps not as good transfer as say Blade runner, but there are details in this that I have never seen before, The redness of Richard Dreyfuss' face, The greenery of the outside,colours are a vast improvement,and although there is slight grain from the film, it never becomes distracting and the movie feels fresh and wonderfully well made. What a superb release, the sound is great, The extras are plentyful, although not in HD, they are all here, ported from the DVD release.
All in all, this is thoroughly recommended and I love the package as a hole, it is easily the nicest presented blu-ray I have and well worth the money for anyone who loves classic movies,young or old, a wonderful first Spielburg Blu-Ray, let's hope there are more relases like this one in the future, It would be particularly nice to get a lovely book like this in every Blu-Ray release instead of the cheap fliers you usually get, and I hope the studios take note and give classics like this, the ultimate bluray releases they deserve.
Verdict
JUST BUY IT - its a very high quality Blu-Ray and a timeless Spielburg masterpiece.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2009 10:01 AM GMT

Spider-Man Trilogy [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Spider-Man Trilogy [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tobey Maguire

1.0 out of 5 stars this should be recalled, 23 Jun. 2008
this item either freezes halfway or doesnt boot at all on spiderman 2 on ps3, so under trading standards why is it still being sold? sony should reissue with a new cover, a compatibility sticker and a fresh batch of discs. till that is done money is still in my pocket
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2010 9:00 PM GMT

And She Closed Her Eyes
And She Closed Her Eyes
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars an absolute gem , one of the top 5 albums of the 90s if not all time, 27 May 2008
This review is from: And She Closed Her Eyes (Audio CD)
I first heard about Stina from mtv in the nieties when LittleStar came out as a single and fell in love with how delicate and unique her voice is, this album is for me a truly beatiful experience, an album that just gets better and better over time.
An album of sheer magic and feels very seaside, sounds of the tide and seagulls, beautiful dreamy melodies, and for me this is the album I love to listen to on my own at night and have a nice glass of wine and totally relax and forget about the madness that is the world. It sounds like heaven coming through your speakers, please make sure you listen through good quality hifi and not a cheap system and it will definately pay off, the production is wonderful.
I always turn to this and her first album, and found this style to suit her the best, I also liked the track she did with Vangelis. I wasnt overkeen on Dynamite I prefer her vocal on a dreamy chillout melody, and just couldnt get along with such harshness, so this album for me was always Stina at her best, I need to check out her newer stuff though and hope there is more of the magic found here.

If you have not heard her voice before I suppose you will either adore it or hate it, but oh,what music! Truly Exceptional
One album I would definately take on holiday or a desert island disc I absolutely adore her vocal uniqueness, so beautiful and tender, buy it and I promise you will not find better nightime escapism.

The Pink Panther Film Collection (5 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [1976]
The Pink Panther Film Collection (5 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ David Niven
Offered by Venture Online

5.0 out of 5 stars For The Complete Collection in one package, 24 May 2008
It's a shame they haven't included Return of the Pink Panther in this set, so what I have done is to buy the tin version ( not much more money if you look round) then buy return of the Pink panther seperate.

This poses a problem because I found it would not fit in the tin with the card box set as well, so I used a 7mm thin dvd case,scanned the cover and used somesoftware called undercover xp to get the cover just right with the reduced spine. This will then go nicely into the tin and you then have all the (best ones) pink panther movies together in one Package. Sorted!

I am not bothered about the other inferior movies that came out later, so this is my method of doing it. Hope it helps - follow this and hunt out the Tin edition while you can still get it

HDMI Cable (PS3)
HDMI Cable (PS3)
Offered by memorycapital

5.0 out of 5 stars seems like agood deal, get the cheapest possible cable, 16 May 2008
This review is from: HDMI Cable (PS3) (Video Game)
As demonstrated on the last gadget show, there is no point whatsoever in buying an expensive hdmi cable,so if you want HD for your HD telly and are gonna connect it to a PS3 or any other HDMI source, it really doesnt matter which you use as all it does is send O's and 1's digitally. so you either get the picture or not, they are allgoing to be the same quality whichever cable you buy.
If this works when you get it and you have payed the minimal amount possible,then i reckon it's a good purchase for your PS3.
Personally, when I bought my PS3 from currys last year, I asked them to throw me one in FOC, and they did cos I bought my telly from there too, which was good, the cable was priced at £10, so not bad for nowt. In summary though, they're all the same so pay as little as possible for one.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2009 6:41 AM GMT

Old Country Roses 2 Slice Toaster
Old Country Roses 2 Slice Toaster

1.0 out of 5 stars overpriced cheapplastic rubbish with naff transfer, 30 April 2008
My mum has one of these toasters and she got sucked in by the floral pattern and royal albert design, very appealing for mumsies everywhere of course. I went round one day and wanted to toast a crumpet, and I have to say this is the worst toaster in the world. she hasnt used it hardly and the handle is flimsy, the whole thing hardly works properly,it's so poorly built and plasticky. Don't get sucked in by the patern, this is a cheap bargain basement £3-4 type of toaster with flowers on it. Absolute Rubbish. I gave up and used the grill on the oven instead for better results.

Western Digital My Book  Essential 500GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Western Digital My Book Essential 500GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars EASY EXTERNAL HDD FOR PC OR PS3, 1 Jan. 2008
First of all, I am not an employee of either Sony or WD,just a gadget fan who is excited to expand on his gear to try and achieve the constantly changing and unobtainable gadget utopia.I bought this HDD after considering many others including the original My Book (more XBox like with its green circle). Noticed this had just come out, so read a lot about the original, as there were hardy any reviews on this, anywhere on the web when I was looking.So far so good, crossing my fingers and hoping that this Western Digital is a "goody" and not one of the let downs that some people seem to have got and reviewed in the aftermath of their dissapointment, not holding back either, with some bad put downs.I got a PS3 at the latter of 2007 after the price drop and luckily managed to get the 60Gb one, now sadly departed (silly sony,who wants the inferior 40GbPS3 instead, really?). Well you might consider the 60Gb a lot, but it soon fills up with music, video and all the free content from Sony's Online Store such as Demos and Trailers in HD.To compensate for this, Sony allow you to swap over the internal HDD quite easily for a larger capacity one, eg. 200Gb, but to fit inside the PS3 casing it has to be a laptop sized 2 1/2" or sit outside with some fiddly and quite complicated work fitting a 3 1/2" externally with pliers as I saw on youtube recently.I could not be bothered with all that business so, decided to look into the other route of The External Drive seeing as prices were-a-tumbling nicely. Not as nice looking job as a internal swap;with a small internal laptop drive, in that; end result is twoboxes (PS3&HDD) and two mains plugs, but nevertheless, should have its advantages in easy2PCswapability.Did you get that? Aren't Gadgets getting more Bonkersly complicated to keep up with,or is that just me?Anyway, I tried looking for an easy solution or a recommended HDD on Forums and suchlike, but somepeople seemed to have problems with this solution,eg. Formatting to Fat32 (no worries- MyBook2 is already Fat32) has to be done for the PS3 to read the drive, apparently.Leave it Fat32 and only downside to PS3 compatability upside= 2Gb file size Max (so I've read but not tried yet- 2gb on one file is awfully big!, unless something in HD, that's unlikely for me at the moment.NoProblem=Fat32=no need to change anything=swappable between PC or PS3=EASY. So on recieving,after a week of reading online, and deciding on risking any bad reviewing, and because its a nice blue PS3-matching new bluelight on the front and PS3-matching black casing (hehe), with fingers crossed, first step was not to plug into PS3, but to plug into PC, which..... is dead easy.I think it will power up and down when it is needed,very nice.No noisy fan, looks good, like a Book, funnily, a blue lit one:) great...only..... It needs (supplied) a mains supply box tranformer-typethingy, which is a bit crappy-ugly and seems to spoil the aesthetic slightly, but you soon stop worrying about it.Then there's the USB cable to plug in, and it hums and clicks (fairly quiet) into action.... up it pops on my Computer! as a removable drive:) Some software is bundled on it, but I ignored this nonsense and started dragging and dropping some Music,Photos,Video etc. remembering to put said content in the right names on the folders, so my PS3 would read them ok.ie put all mp3's in "Music" Folder etc.By the way, the PS3 now has the ability to play "Divx Video stuff you can play on your PC but not your PS3", but can now because of free firmware updates provided by Sony, thanks Sony:) heheSO,once you haven't even got anywhere near to filling it (and quite quickly too) with Divx,mp4,mp3,jpg and loads of other stuff the PS3 can read ok, unplug it, and once again fingers crossed, I plug it into the PS3 Media Machine under TV waiting for a new capacity brain,via one of the USB ports........ Tv remote Ready, SixAxis Ready, cue the orchestra, up pops the XMB, go to your Media............. and there you have it, loads of new content available taken from your PC,one big library beyond your wildest dreams available to watch on your sofa making the PS3 unbelievably brilliant at just about everything, thanks Sony, thanks WD. Just hope it lasts me ages before I get another one.(and please don't die at when its 99% full & so many long hours of filling you up)A few more things to work out yet, but I am most pleased. Easy to swap and change stuff with both PS3 and PC, best option by far, forget anything more complicated and just easily add this to your already happy internal HDD 60Gb PS3.(I got about 455Gb free on my 500Gb MyBook2),so loads of space, Go For It!!!Of Course There's lots of other Brands that could probably do this just as well, but the WD MyBook2 looks very compatable sat next to PS3 with its Black Case and lovely blu-light.It Looks made to fit,lovely partners and with the forthcoming Sony PlayTV (Dttv add on), this might just be a neccessary purchase and storage capacity needed for the complete Media Hub, at a very reasonable price.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2008 7:08 PM BST