Profile for Mrs. R. Jackson > Reviews

Content by Mrs. R. Jackson

Mrs. R. Jackson

Miele S5261 Cat and Dog TT 5000 Bagged Vacuum Cleaner 2200w (Autumn red)
Miele S5261 Cat and Dog TT 5000 Bagged Vacuum Cleaner 2200w (Autumn red)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant vacuum cleaner, 10 Jan 2010
I think this one is really a case of you get what you pay for. I have two long haired cats (one tabby one persian) who also go outside (and like to bring the outside indoors!) and I also have long thick coarse hair. The combination means our carpets and floors are regularly getting covered in hair and other debris. I have put up with cheap cleaners and even an old vax upright cleaner for years. Whilst the vax cleaned it was noisy and heavy and difficult to do the stairs or reach up high to get cobwebs and dust (we have an old house with high ceilings). Plus I kept losing the attachments. And hated emptying it as the dust went everywhere. The miele cat and dog is so easy to use. It's quiet so you can clean at midnight when the cat brings in a bird and leaves feathers everywhere without fear of waking the neighbours! It really does get rid of all the hairs and hoovers up just about anything. It's lightweight and because of it's long expanding poles I can do all the stairs to the little middle landing whilst leaving the main body at the bottom of the stairs. I can also hoover pretty much the whole house without having to unplug it because the cord is really long. The extending poles mean that you can reach the picture rails and on top of pictures for dust easily and the heads are thin enough to get under beds and our old footed bath. Keeping all the attachments inside the main body means you don't lose them too. I've not yet emptied the bag but it seems that it should be fairly simple and not get dust everywhere. Whilst I've not tried other popular hoovers for those with animals I would definitely recommend this. My mum had a dyson animal and hated it and she has a miele now and loves it. Apparently the dyson lost suction and was heavy (she had the upright) and noisy - similar to my old vax.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 1:15 PM BST

Braun Silk-Úpil Xpressive 7781 Wet & Dry Rechargeable Body & Face Epilator
Braun Silk-Úpil Xpressive 7781 Wet & Dry Rechargeable Body & Face Epilator

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good epilator, 10 Jan 2010
I bought this epilator about a week ago and am really pleased with it. I haven't given it 5 stars because there are some things that could be better but overall it's pretty good. I researched epilators before I bought this one and am pleased with my choice. Being able to use it in the shower is great as you don't have to remove hair separately and the water does open up the pores. However, the last thing you want once you've removed hair is to aggravate it with heat! You want something soothing and cooling so that's a little problematic. I've solved this by turning the water cold after I epilate but this isn't brilliant in winter! I also found that I got red bumps the first time but with the application of aloe vera gel they went down in about an hour. Found my underarms the most painful and after using it twice (didn't quite get everything first time - hard to see under your arms!) was still painful but hoping it'll improve. Definitely not as painful as waxing underarms first time. Bikini line wasn't pain free but after years of waxing and laser hair removal it was a doddle compared to what i've put up with before. No, laser hair removal did not remove all the hairs I wanted it to! I like the shaver and trimmer application too as it's easy to epilate the bikini line and then trim the bits you don't want to remove entirely with one system. The smartlight on it is great too and you really do see all the hairs. I primarily bought this for underarms and bikini line as I've lasered both these areas and have good although not perfect results but waxing them will cause the hair free follicles to regrow hairs but epilating just gets the existing hairs so it seems the best solution until I decide its worth paying for more laser hair removal! The best thing about it is being able to remove hair when you want in the comfort of your own shower without going and seeing someone else or getting stubble within a day or two. The worst bit is having to do it yourself because you can chicken out! But I'm hoping the pain will improve with time. The pain is generally quite tolerable but then I have a reasonable pain threshold and have tolerated years of waxing of various parts at various times.

Cook in Boots
Cook in Boots
by Ravinder Bhogal

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Cook in Boots (Hardcover)
This is a great cook book and perfect for me. I got this as an early Christmas present. I've not tried everything yet but have tried quite a few things and love her generous use of chilli and spices. Everything seems to be fairly simple to do and come out tasting great. Having grown up in Asia I'm not one for bland food! I love the way this cook book is laid out too - it's not the place to look for using leftover things but it is a book for when you're feeling a certain way and don't know what to cook. It's a true mood food recipe book and something I've never seen before.

Leiths Simple Cookery
Leiths Simple Cookery
by Jenny Stringer

5.0 out of 5 stars The best recipe book I've ever had, 6 July 2009
This review is from: Leiths Simple Cookery (Hardcover)
I was given this last year for christmas and there is barely a day when I don't refer to it for one thing or another even if its just inspiration. Most cook books I just use for one or two recipes or if I want to do something in particular. This one you can cook with every day with things out of your cupboards. It tells you really useful things like how long to roast meat and how to make yorkshire puddings (two things my mother tried very hard to teach me and I always forgot - it wasn't relevant to me at 16!). It's not afraid to 'cheat' either with curry pastes etc. Unlike most cook books that insist on everything from scratch when you just don't have the time or the ingredients, this book lets you use ready made pastes and sauces which is just fantastic but the good thing is the food doesn't taste artificial or sub-standard in anyway. I've not made a bad meal yet from this book. I would absolutely recommend this as a staple for anyone's kitchen but I think its especially handy for those starting out but are interested in 'real' cookery (maybe after uni - it's more than boiled eggs and beans on toast).