Profile for E. Houghton > Reviews

Content by E. Houghton

E. Houghton (Manchester, England)

Manchester (Then and Now)
Manchester (Then and Now)
by Jonathan Schofield
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Jan 2012
This book really captures the character of our City.

As I had lived overseas for many years, I bought this book for my wife who didn't know Manchester. I can't imagine a better book to present our home town and all its rich history to somebody who has yet to visit.

Strongly recommended.

Fascism: A History
Fascism: A History
by Roger Eatwell
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: Fascism: A History (Paperback)
I agree with the previous reviewer that several historically important varieties of fascism are not included in Eatwell's analysis, however, he never claimed to provide an exhaustive study of every single strand of fascist ideology. Rather, he looks at the two main easily identifiable movements; those of 1940s Italy and Germany, and compare the two while trying to identify both common features, and that which separated each variety. Later, he looks at French collaborationist movements, and post war neo-fascist movements elsewhere in Europe. While the book is not a highly detailed academic study, it is a good enough introduction for A-level and undergraduate students, and indeed anybody who is concerned about the rise of far right wing movements in France and elsewhere in Europe at present. I certainly enjoyed reading it, so I have no problem recommending it to others.