Profile for M. Lines > Reviews

Content by M. Lines

M. Lines "funstermarcus" (Portsmouth, UK)

Pete's Dragon [Blu-ray] [1977] [Region Free]
Pete's Dragon [Blu-ray] [1977] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Sean Marshall

3.0 out of 5 stars There's the good and there's the bad..., 7 Sept. 2013
There are two conflicting points to consider when purchasing the UK Blu-ray of Pete's Dragon.

1) The Blu-ray version is heavily edited for no given reason. Entire songs are excised, most notably the 'Candle On The Water' scene which is effectively the emotional centre to the movie. This is a very, very serious error on Disney's part.

2) What we DO have, however, is really quite wonderful to look at. The animation is a little on the cheap and cheerful side, but the quality of the real-life elements is really quite something to behold. It is a massive improvement over the quality of previous DVD transfers. There's a crispness and cleanness that I didn't expect to find, whilst not looking completely digitally scrubbed like some of Disney's other efforts (I mean YOU, Sword In The Stone).

It's such a shame that it's been edited, because this could have been a wonderful release. Once again in the world of Blu-ray releases, I am thinking about what might have been...

My Man Godfrey [1936] [DVD]
My Man Godfrey [1936] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Carole Lombard

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful DVD., 7 Aug. 2011
This review is from: My Man Godfrey [1936] [DVD] (DVD)
There's nothing much to say here. The DVD by Elstree Hill Entertainment is truly awful; the picture is quite blurry and the dialogue is so muffled that you can barely understand it. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that most of it can't be understood at all.

Cheap and cheerful this DVD is not.

Julie Christie Collection - Screen Icons [DVD]
Julie Christie Collection - Screen Icons [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julie Christie

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the bad reviews!, 9 Aug. 2010
1) The Go-Between. Originally filmed in 'non-widescreen', and then chopped for release. Personally, I think the composition of the image is much better here. The framing is perfect in every scene, provided that you haven't got it stretched to fill the whole of your widescreen TV! The Go-Between is a beautifully made literary adaptation that creates a lush, living and breathing world. If a single word could sum it up, that word would be 'classy'. Julie Christie compliments the understated and subtle directing wonderfully.

2) Billy Liar. Tom Courtenay is the real star of this one, with Julie Christie in a small early role. It manages to be filled with hilarity, wit, pomp and grandeur alongside sadness, depth and heart. It's a screwball comedy that has grown up, in a sense, to fit in with the harsh realism that was starting to emerge in British film-making in the early 60s. Probably my favourite film in the set, coming just above The Go-Between.

3) Far From The Madding Crowd. The image is a little muddy, as some reviewers have pointed out, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's a fault of this particular DVD. It's never had a particularly strong release. Plus, it's always been a little muddy because it was filmed in the hazy, dull and wet English countryside! It's surely part of the charm, even if it does take a little while to adjust to it.

4) Darling. Julie Christie really dazzles here as the beautifully mysterious 'Darling'. She carries the film, I think, and I don't believe that it would stand up without her. She's given truly stunning performances (Away From Her and Doctor Zhivago spring instantly to mind), and I have to admit that I don't rank this as among her best. Perhaps it is my personal taste, but I was disappointed with the film as a whole. Hmm! Maybe I should watch it again...

Kramer Vs Kramer [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Kramer Vs Kramer [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Dustin Hoffman
Offered by A1-Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, great upgrade., 10 Jan. 2010
Kramer vs. Kramer has shown itself to have a lasting impact and quality that a lot of films don't possess. The nature of it's topic is still relevant today, and it makes for good viewing every time. I highly and heartily recommend it.

As for the upgrade to Blu-ray, it's quite impressive. The soundtrack is a little more fresh, but it's the difference in video quality that'll suck you in. The DVD version is completely watchable, but this print is absolutely pristine. There isn't a scratch or flicker in it, and it has the 'right amount' of grain for a film of it's age; it's kept the atmosphere that a lot of recent films lack. The film's mostly pale palette appears to have found a new life.

You'll notice the difference.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2010 9:52 AM GMT

Deconstructing Harry [DVD] [1998]
Deconstructing Harry [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Woody Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good film, bad release!, 10 Jan. 2010
The aspect ratio for this release is wrong. The film is meant to be seen in it's original 1.85:1 format and here we have it in 1.33:1.

I haven't had the good fortune to see a copy of the film in it's original aspect ratio, so I can't say for sure whether the image has been cropped or whether 'pan & scan' has been applied (it would appear not to be the latter). Both are ghastly.

Still, it's the only way to see this otherwise splendid film if you can't play a Region 1 version.

I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue: Humph In Wonderland (BBC Audio)
I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue: Humph In Wonderland (BBC Audio)
by BBC
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Clue, you'll like this., 2 Feb. 2009
This is a fitting and charming tribute to a wonderful man, not short of a few chuckles in the form of some Clue soundbites.

Worth the purchase if you are an I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue fan, or indeed a Lyttleton enthusiast.

To Humph!